Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:00 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,603,611 times

Advertisements

Honestly, people should realize that a city doesn't have to have poor residents to declare bankruptcy. You could have a city of millionaires but as long as the city wastes money and can't afford interests on loans and other obligations, any city can become bankrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 08:31 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I just had a conversation with a friend about Detroit malls. She was SHOCKED to learn that Detroit has Louis Vuitton, Saks Fifth, Gucci, True Religion, ect stores in their malls. She said "In Detroit? Didn't the city file for bankruptcy? Who can afford to shop at those stores?" I had to explain to her how the metro area is actually fairly wealthy and the city filing for bankruptcy isn't changing most people's everyday life in the area.

I won't say typical but it's not unusual to get a " DETROIT HAS THAT!?!?" reaction when I tell people about things in Detroit. It's sad and funny at the same time. The fact that people are shocked that a big city like Detroit has, well, most things that other big cities have is a huge problem. The city's image and reputation is TERRIBLE. So bad that they think most people in the entire area is living below the poverty line and no one lives a normal life like people do elsewhere. It honestly blows my mind how they portray a one sided view of Detroit. Maybe it's just the fact that I know better. Maybe I should be like most people and ignore people's ignorance about my city.
In the end it is the perception that matters, not how Detroit is for real. That applies to investors, potential new residents and tourists alike. As long as those think Detroit is a gang ridden, dilapidated ghost town full of burned down houses and abandoned factories, things will probably not change. That perception is also confirmed by the videos of Detroit on youtube or by opening streetview in some random part of Detroit, most likely all you will see is decay.

Detroit really has an image problem so it seems what Detroit needs is someone who can sell the good aspects of Detroit and at the same time downplay things like its crime, urban decay and lack of employment opportunities. I was thinking someone like Billy Mays might be able to do that, he could sell you an item worth less than 5$ for $20 and still make you think you made a good deal, but unfortunately he is not among us anymore. Detroit needs an ambassador.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:45 AM

21,145 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Why cater to simple-minded people? MS313's friend probably thinks that LA is just movie stars living in mansions and that everyone who lives in Iowa is a farmer. Obviously, as the home of all the major US automakers, we are going to have some wealth. Anyone who has been to a major city knows there are good and bad areas. Let these people live in ignorance. We do not want them -- or need them -- here.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:59 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Honestly, people should realize that a city doesn't have to have poor residents to declare bankruptcy. You could have a city of millionaires but as long as the city wastes money and can't afford interests on loans and other obligations, any city can become bankrupt.
Exactly, even rich people have went bankrupt. And then they turn around and open up hotels a couple years later.

I agree with Retroit regarding simple minded people. Problem is, the majority of the populace is simple minded. The media tells people where to live, how to live, how to dress, ect.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:49 PM

263 posts, read 438,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCowboy90 View Post
People and media always make Detroit looks like one of the worst cities in America. I know Detroit has some real enonomic and crime problems, but I wonder: It is really that "dump" as they say it is? What's Detroit really like?

Detroit is not as bad as many people think it is, but Detroit is bad enough that no one that knows it's problems should be defensive over the city's image, despite it slowly but surely making some progress.

The residents like to complain about the city, but also like to attack outsiders that complain about it & blame the outsiders for Detroit's woes.

I had fun living in Detroit (downtown high-rise with great views & good security, no wife/kids to worry about) but as soon as I noticed after 5 years that I was assimilating into the overly-aggressive, protective attitude about Detroit vs. suburbanites, I knew it was time to get the hell out of the city, and I did.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:49 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,936,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post
Detroit is not as bad as many people think it is, but Detroit is bad enough that no one that knows it's problems should be defensive over the city's image, despite it slowly but surely making some progress.

The residents like to complain about the city, but also like to attack outsiders that complain about it & blame the outsiders for Detroit's woes.

I had fun living in Detroit (downtown high-rise with great views & good security, no wife/kids to worry about) but as soon as I noticed after 5 years that I was assimilating into the overly-aggressive, protective attitude about Detroit vs. suburbanites, I knew it was time to get the hell out of the city, and I did.
Sounds like you think that "aggressiveness" toward the burbs was not a two-way street. You moved away because the Detroiters you knew were too critical of the suburbs?
If so, it's no wonder you moved.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:20 AM

26 posts, read 22,785 times
Detroit is really no different than other big cities. There are some not so nice areas....but there are some really beautiful areas too. I go down all the time for sporting events, the theater, etc. My husband works downtown, too. We went on the Tour D'Troit....a 28 mile bike tour twice over the last few years. It was an eye-opening experience. We went down some "not so nice" streets that make you feel sad about the state of the city, but we also went down some streets with beautifully kept homes. Detroit has a lot to offer...you just have to be smart....just like anywhere else!

Old 04-30-2015, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,707 times
Hello,
My daughter will be going to live for a year in Detroit to help out in the inner city schools via a non profit organization. She has to meet near Wayne State University to go to the school she is assigned to. She goes with another group of volunteers.
She is really excited, but I am concerned about the comments I get when I tell people that she is going from the West Coast to Detroit, and how can I let her go there with so much crime.
Can anyone who actually lives there comment on what neighborhood areas around Detroit are safe? She keeps mentioning Midtown.
We got her a new small car because I wanted to make sure her car doesn't breakdown while she drives around the city.
Is it safe at night to go out around Detroit? I'm just a concerned mom and want to know what areas are safe or any suggestions. Is the Public transportation safe to take around Detroit?
Thanks for your input.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:59 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,603,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM13 View Post
Hello,
My daughter will be going to live for a year in Detroit to help out in the inner city schools via a non profit organization. She has to meet near Wayne State University to go to the school she is assigned to. She goes with another group of volunteers.
She is really excited, but I am concerned about the comments I get when I tell people that she is going from the West Coast to Detroit, and how can I let her go there with so much crime.
Can anyone who actually lives there comment on what neighborhood areas around Detroit are safe? She keeps mentioning Midtown.
We got her a new small car because I wanted to make sure her car doesn't breakdown while she drives around the city.
Is it safe at night to go out around Detroit? I'm just a concerned mom and want to know what areas are safe or any suggestions. Is the Public transportation safe to take around Detroit?
Thanks for your input.
It's really not any worse than any big city. Midtown is safe, but like most downtown areas, car break-ins do occur and it would be wise to keep her valuables out of sight and park your car in a visible area or secured lot or garage.

She should be fine going to the schools with the organization. A lot of areas look worse than they actually are, but just driving through at a typical pace shouldn't cause any harm. Again, the biggest issue would probably just be car break-ins depending on where she parks.

Public transportation is safe to use, but it's bad in that the buses aren't often on time and are usually crowded. This is especially true on some of the major routes. If she has a car, it's entirely more convenient for her and she doesn't need to use public transit.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:48 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,282,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM13 View Post
Hello,
Thanks for your input.
I would not reccomended it. First you have to understand that Detroit is about half abandoned. Second, the areas outside midtown and downtown are indeed high crime. Third, depending on your daughters background and circumstances, she might not be prepared to navigate a place like Detroit.

I like Animatedmartian and usually agree with him, but we disagree on this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit