Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,890 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping some people who went to any Detroit-Area public schools in the 1960s read this...or anyone who taught at that time...or anyone who can ask relatives or anyone currently in their 50's on up what happened. This is what got me remembering. A few days ago I heard that corporal punishment in schools in Britain stopped in the mid 1940's. If that is true then Michigan was at least 15 years to 20 years behind. I so well remember the painful slap of the yardstick across the back of bare calves (girls could not wear pants till 1968) from a well-laid yardstick ...in the SECOND GRADE... for things
like NOT DOING HOMEWORK.
This was in a brand new school ..
..in Cortland Elementary in Highland Park.
Mrs. Caruso was her name. SECOND GRADE.. that was SIX YEARS OLD ...

I also remember the documentary Colorblind... about a reunion of a Detroit grade school class from the 1960s...a teacher had taught them well, they all said...not to be racist etc...but am I the only one that noticed? The part where they mention the wooden paddle? The grown man who mentions it in the movie...you can tell it was no small matter to ...to even mention it gave him fear...

Why was any of this ever OK? When did it ever stop?
I had friends growing up in Catholic and Lutheran private schools who never mentioned these things. I also remember Dossin Elementary ...once a teacher hit a boy on top of the head HARD with a book. The boy could hardly keep his tears back it hurt so bad. That was 1966 or 7. I think it was Mr Tobin ...
Any local historians out there who could look it up?

When did corporal punishment (if ever) become illegal for teachers in Michigan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 06:25 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
I went to school in the downriver suburbs where corporaL pumishment (aka paddling) went on into the mid-1970s at the middle school level.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:58 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,158 times
Catholic schools practically perfected the art, my dear.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,890 times
Wow...
Two replys so quickly...sorry to hear it...
Maclock...now that you mention it...I did see
"the Blues Brothers"...What was the point of treating
Children like criminals on a chain gang anyway?
I saw a George Gently episode..those were supposed
to take place in the mid-sixties-which said it had been banned
20 years before..but I just looked it up and apparently Parliament
did not ban it till 1987 ! And in private schools it went on till
up to 2003. SIGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit