Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:20 PM

3 posts, read 8,423 times

Advertisements

I have a doctor's appointment at the Henry Ford New Center One medical center West of Woodward on West Grand Boulevard. I'm from the suburbs of Chicago so I'm used to going into the downtown Chicago area without major safety concerns. I know Detroit has a bad reputation and wasn't afraid until I looked up the crime statistics and saw the area around it had high crime.

Is the area around the New Center One medical center safe for a single white female? Would I be safer with a male companion?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 09:37 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
There's more crime in downtown Chicago than there is in downtown Detroit. So if you're comfortable there, you can handle Detroit. Other than making sure your car is parked in a good area (Henry Ford has secured parking anyway), it's very unlikely for you to be affected by crime in the short time you would be in that area. You should be good.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:54 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
The hospital itself is fine; the surrounding area can be awful.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
The hospital itself is fine; the surrounding area can be awful.
Awful to look at, sure. But crime wise, there's worse areas (both in Chicago and other parts of Detroit). I lived 3 or 4 miles north of Henry Ford up on Dexter and Davison and the crime isn't as bad as so much just everyone in that area is dirt poor or an older person living out their last days. Either way, just driving through the area is unlikely to cause you any harm.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:59 AM

Default Henry Ford New Center Medical Center Location

Thanks for the input! The medical center is down the street from the hospital on the other side of the highway. I don't think the parking is as secure. But they do have valet parking. The crime data suggests that it's pretty bad in the surrounding areas off Woodward Street. Looks much worse than the crime maps of the areas around Chicago area teaching hospitals.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:43 AM

Not sure what crime map you're looking at, but either way many people work in that area and there's usually a lot of activity during the day. Other than the car thefts, violent crime doesn't usually happen during the day. You'd have to stay in the area well past midnight and cluelessly linger around to really increase your chances of something happening.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:15 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
Perfectly safe. It's right across the Fisher Building. And there's attached parking garages.

A few blocks north it gets rough but you're getting anxiety just for kicks.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:26 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
You'll be surprised at how NOT DANGEROUS the area around the New Center One building is. Just click on the Google Maps Streetview of the intersection of 2nd Street and West Grand Boulevard that is below. Does this look like a rough area to you?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2nd+a...higan&t=m&z=15

There is a parking garage to the across the street from the building on Lothrop Street.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:10 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
It's pretty safe in that area, many people work around there. You should be fine.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:29 PM

Thanks to everyone for the input. I think Detroit has a bad reputation and thus the anxiety over the trip. As a single woman from out of town, it's always best to be familiar with the area you're visiting. Most cities I've been to whether in the state of North Carolina, Washington D.C., New York or New Jersey have their good and bad areas. Was just there yesterday and everything went fine. I didn't walk around the area or anything but everyone at the Henry Ford Medical Center was so nice and professional. I tend to chat with just about anyone and I found that the patients at the clinic were very nice and polite too. Seemed like the people in Michigan have old school manners. I miss that in Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: