Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:49 AM

5 posts, read 6,680 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am wondering which neighborhood in Detroit or around would be safest for a single girl to buy a house in?
I never been to Michigan before and cannot afford more expensive states to live in,and my budget for buying a house is not that great too.
I have been reading about crime rates in Detroit online, and it makes me wonder how people can actually live there ? So is it really as bad as it sounds? is there any safe place around? Which area would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 05:58 AM

339 posts, read 975,831 times
Is hard to answer the question without knowing a budget or where you going to be working. To start Warren, Hazel Park and Madison Heights are very affordable, relatively safe and centrally located. If you need to be further west there might be other good options on the western suburbs. A single female I would not recommend Detroit proper, specially if you are on a budget and can't afford the hot areas.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:06 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
In the city of Detroit proper? That is a tough call. Personally I would say none are much better than others, though a few might be considered "safer."

But if you are in need of an economy class neighborhood, my opinion is that rules out any place in Detroit that may be above a 6 on the safer scale?

More info would help, as once you go outside Detroit city limits, there is a much wider selection or relatively to moderately safe communities.

If there is safer in Detroit, it might be the area around Wayne State, but then there will be the price as it is a college area where rent tends to be higher.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:34 AM

Thank you for your responses.

My budget is about 15,000$ that is why i am looking for a small home, and will live in it about 6 months every year.

How bad is it in Detroit? i mean can't a person walk in daylight to buy grocery or such? lol the articles i read made me wonder.

Also what other cities around Detroit would be safer and affordable considering my budget?

Old 09-21-2015, 06:45 AM

339 posts, read 975,831 times
In that budget look for South Warren and Eastpoint, but the houses will need work. In those places I would not have a problem walking to the grocery store during daylight. In Detroit proper is not worth it when you can be in a suburb that is safer and denser for the same price.
I would not recommend Detroit proper (on that budget) to a single female, not worth the risk.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:32 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
It will be very hard to find a liveable house, even in Detroit, for $15,000. Especially in a 'safe' neighborhood. When houses go for that price, they usually need a lot of work to get them habitable.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:10 PM

21,119 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Would I be correct in assuming from your screen name that you are Muslim? If so, you might try Dearborn or Hamtramck.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:09 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farooh View Post
Thank you for your responses.

My budget is about 15,000$ that is why i am looking for a small home, and will live in it about 6 months every year.

How bad is it in Detroit? i mean can't a person walk in daylight to buy grocery or such? lol the articles i read made me wonder.

Also what other cities around Detroit would be safer and affordable considering my budget?
That's a tall order.

If you find one you are going to want to have it heavily inspected.

As someone mentioned, unfortunately knowing your ethnicity would help.

If you're African American you might feel more comfortable in Inkster. White Hazel Park. Hispanic SW Detroit. Arabic Hamtramck etc.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:19 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
No it's not as bad as portrayed. Like any other city there are good and bad parts but $15,000? I doubt you will get anything for that price in a safe neighborhood unless the house itself needs thousands of dollars worth or repairs. Maybe you should look further out on the edges of Metro Detroit if you need to have a house, if not just rent.

Sidenote, if your coming just for the cost of living that you heard about you better do some research first.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:47 AM

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Yes i am Muslim, and i did try finding a house in Dearborn but with the money i got it is not enough to own a property there.

And i did not know About Hamtramck, are there many Muslims there? how far is it from DTW? I do not mind the community i will live in as long as it is safe, but of course having people of the same background helps alot!

My realtor advised me to do inspection on the house i will buy, so with your advises as well i will have it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit