Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 AM

22 posts, read 45,810 times

Advertisements

how do these two cities compare and how do they stack up to ferndale /royal oak? i plan on moving to the area. i am more familiar with royal oak and ferndale but clawson and berkley seem to be nice as well but i do not know much about them as far as bars/resteraunts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 01:16 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,473 times
I would say Clawson is more like Ferndale while Berkley is more like Royal Oak. Neither are quite as developed as Ferndale and RO, which might be construed as both good and bad.

Clawson's downtown is more concentrated around 14 Mile and Main St. There making a large push of late to develop downtown. Some nice restaurants like Black Lotus have come in. It IS a shame that Pizza Hut takes up the entire northwest corner of their main intersection.

My main dislike of Berkley's downtown is that it's not really walkable. It's basically a 2 mile right-angle stretch along 12 Mile Rd and Coolidge Hwy from Greenfield to 11 Mile Rd. You get off of 12 Mile or Coolidge and there are only houses. In Ferndale and RO, you have Woodward and Washington that build up commercial density beyond the mile roads.

Regardless, Berkley and Clawson are nice alternatives to Ferndale and RO. It depends on what you're looking for.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 PM

265 posts, read 1,190,911 times
I have lived in both Clawson & Berkley (Berkley 5 years, Clawson 7); what I have found is that I did not know my neighbors well, if at all, in Berkley.
In Clawson, people are incredibly warm & friendly - they look out for you and you really do get a sense of community here. You'll find lots of community events in Clawson that I was never aware of in Berkley - there is a large 4th of July parade & weeklong celebration, a tree lighting event at Christmas, a fall festival in the City Park with hayrides & a bonfire, etc. Always something fun & free going on. I am moving to Texas from Clawson for a corporate relocation and am incredibly sad to be going because of those reasons. I doubt I will find this small-town atmosphere in big town San Antonio.
When I moved from Berkley to Clawson, I didn't really make it a point to get out and meet people, but it just happens. I met a lot of friends with similar interests. My kids have met lifelong friends here. I have an 89 year old neighbor who walks my dog and plows my snow on his riding plow (trust me, I try to encourage the old guy to stay inside & relax but he's determined!) If he doesn't take care of me, another neighbor down the street will usually snow blow all the way down to the corner. Old & young, everyone takes care of one another.
I know my home is safe in Clawson. I have never been affected by a break-in, graffiti, etc. People respect others but also LOOK OUT for each other. I have forgotten & left my mountain bike out on the sidewalk unlocked, or my $400 double stroller on the porch, I have even left my cars unlocked in the driveway and keys in our side door overnight & nothing has ever happened. You can leave your windows open at night & when you leave the house in the summer. It is SAFE here.
I also know my property value is protected here in Clawson because this is a city ON THE RISE. It has not peaked out yet like Royal Oak. Our schools have increased in enrollment while others decline & have top consolidate, and people are drawn to the new downtown development. I live within walking distance of downtown, the library, the community center, etc. and that is going to make this property a hot commodity. We have had a lot of interest in our home already and think it will sell quickly despite the poor economy.
Clawson's location also is preferable - right off 1-75 between Troy & Royal Oak but not intersected by any real BUSY roads like Woodward. It is close to anywhere you want to go, North or South.

However, three things about Berkley are fantastic:
1 -we still go to church in Berkley (well officially the mailing address is Royal Oak) at the Shrine because it is amazingly beautiful, is a strong family parish and mass is inspiring.
2 - And, the library in Berkley is very lovely. Clawson's is much smaller, but what they lack in size they make up for in heart - everyone there is so kind & they know me & my kids by name. They all know what is going on in my life and I will miss our small library when I move. I am there at least 1-2 times a week!
3 - Westborn Market & Trader Joe's are right across the street from one another in Berkley (on Woodward). I liked walking to Westborn with my little canvas grocery tote when I lived there. Made me feel urban and hip. But that was about the only place I ever walked or biked to.

Also:
If you are a classic car buff, Berkley, Royal Oak and Ferndale all line Woodward Ave. for the annual Dream Cruise (which lasts about a week every Aug), some people get into that. I found traveling to and from anywhere to be a nightmare when I lived there....the noise, the loud exhausts and tire squawks, and all the drunks were nuisances but we lived just two blocks in from Woodward.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,350 times
You people must be out of your minds with your Clawson, otherwise known as "TAXVILLE" comments. We have some of the highest taxes in the entire state! Our services are not at all the quality for what we pay. We generally have six water rate increases a year.

The city council passes taxes on without our knowledge or even a vote and you worry because some "free" event you actually are paying for with your taxes goes unnoticed? The masses really are incurable!

Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 PM

230 posts, read 885,236 times
Taxes are higher in Clawson than Royal Oak?!? That is surprising, but I really do love it here in Clawson. Im a renter but someday would love to buy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: