Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2016, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,030 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just wondering how bad the construction on 94 around the airport really is. At the end of October, I'll be driving to metro from Rochester Hills for an 8:30 a.m. flight. I know most of the work is supposed to be done by 5 a.m., but all the ramp closures really have me worried. I've driven there many times, but it's been a while and I don't want to be trying to follow detours while it's still dark out.

I'm considering taking Telegraph all the way down, but wonder if I'll be in stoplight hell and how much extra time this would add.

Anyone have any route suggestions? I'd really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 10:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Telegraph is a miserable way to go. My brother uses it to come to Grosse Ile from West Bloomfield and it takes him forever (1.5 - 2 hours). It is ridiculous IMO. I tried it once, but I do nto have the patience for it. However because of some bad experiences on the Southfield, he refuses to try other ways.

You only have a few practical options. You can go 696, all the way over to 275; you can take 96 across to Middlebelt, but that is a long long tedious trek (you can also take 96 to 275); or you can take Southfield down to 94. You could also conceptually take the Lodge or I75 into Detroit and out 94 from there, but that does not make any sense unless every other way is blocked.

There is no great way to get there.

When we moved here from California, we really liked Rochester City and have some good friends in R.H., but I needed to go to the airport frequently and that commute to the airport was miserable every way we tried. I would suggest you leave an extra hour to get there. If you do not need that hour, you end up hanging around the airport posting on Citydata or something. If you need that extra hour and don't have it, you miss your flight and it all becomes a disaster. Also if you are going to park off the airport to save some $, leave another half hour extra. It can take a while to walk to the shuttle location, wait for the shuttle and then wait for them to pick up and drop off other people. However one of the airport parking garages is very expensive (22/day I think) the other is reasonable ($13?). I do not remember which is which, or the exact amounts.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:49 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,577 times
I'm in and out of the airport weekly and I have not noticed any significant impact due to the construction on I-94. In fact I think it may be just about complete. The resurfacing appears to be done on I-94 for the most part.

The ramp closures to the airport were scheduled over weekends from 9pm Friday-5am Mondays but I think they may be done.

I only got caught in one back-up about a month ago but that was leaving the airport late on a Friday evening and I think they had I-94 down to one lane in a section.

Check the MDOT website but I think it may be done by now. You shouldn't be impacted.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,030 times
Thanks so much for the responses, especially regarding time, they help a lot. Looks like it'll have to be 94, though I'm reassured to hear it's not as bad as I though it was. Guess I'll be allowing for extra time no matter what.

Thanks again for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit