Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 09:28 AM

56 posts, read 65,332 times

Advertisements

The girlfriend and I enjoy visiting the local parks. We haven't lived here too long but in the time that we have been here we've visited a few larger parks such as Rolling Hills Park out by Ypsilanti, Maybury State Park in Northville, and Belle Isle. All of which were summer visits and were great. We're looking for a similar experience and don't mind driving up to an hour from Southfield.

We're looking for a larger park as were going to make a day out of it and this seems like a good time to go as the weather has been fairly mild so we'd like to enjoy the fall scenery.

Any suggestions? I'm hesitant to visit any more "Recreation Areas" because we visited one once and while it was very nice, it looked more like a camp ground without many hiking trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 09:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Kensington Metropark is large (5700 acres) and has a 1200 acre lake with several islands, so it can be very pretty in the fall. You can drive around or hike the paved hike/bike trail the goes around most of the lake.

Kensington is the biggest and most developed of the 13 metroparks

On your way to kensington, you can stop at the trash mountain park in New Hudson. I do not remember what it is called, but they made a mountain of trash and then covered it with dirt and made it into a park. It is the highest point for miles, so the view is spectacular. Especially in the fall.

Belle Isle may be nice n the fall too. I am not sure what kinds of trees grow out there.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:15 AM

That actually looks like a great choice. I guess I never realized there was a Kensington metropark because it's hard to tell it's there on Google Maps.

If I can find some more details on the trash mountain near New Hudson, I will check that out as well. I know a few people at work who live in the South Lyon and Milford areas that may have more info on that.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:39 AM

Trash hill looks like it might be called Atchison park.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Trash hill looks like it might be called Atchison park.
I was looking at the terrain on Google Maps earlier and I think you're right. But it's hard to tell because you can't see much from street view or the satellite imagery. But if it's in New Hudson, that has to be it.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:21 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
Check out Stoney Creek Metropark in Washington Township. They have running/hiking/biking/rollerblade trails - surrounded by lakes and a rolling terrain. Make a stop at Blake's Apple Orchard and Achataz Pie in Armada and make a day of it.

http://www.metroparks.com/parks/stony-creek-metropark/

Old 11-07-2016, 12:40 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
Another area that is flirting with your 1 hour limit from Southfield is the Pinckney Recreation Area.
It is over 11,000 acres with several lakes and 40 miles worth of hiking trails....mostly not paved.
A good starting point is at Silver Lake where you can pick up on several of the trails. You need a state park pass to get in.
A link below....hopefully it works.

Michigan Recreation Search Site Details Page

Old 11-07-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Check out Stoney Creek Metropark in Washington Township. They have running/hiking/biking/rollerblade trails - surrounded by lakes and a rolling terrain. Make a stop at Blake's Apple Orchard and Achataz Pie in Armada and make a day of it.

Shelby Twp Park (MI) : Stony Creek Metropark
That would work too, we like visiting the Orchards / Cider mills in the area but haven't made it up that far to that one. I think that Kensington would be easier to get to for us since were near M-5 but I'm not opposed to heading to the northern part of the area either. I'll have to show her our options tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Old 11-07-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Another area that is flirting with your 1 hour limit from Southfield is the Pinckney Recreation Area.
It is over 11,000 acres with several lakes and 40 miles worth of hiking trails....mostly not paved.
A good starting point is at Silver Lake where you can pick up on several of the trails. You need a state park pass to get in.
A link below....hopefully it works.

Michigan Recreation Search Site Details Page
That was actually the park that I had in mind to go to before posting. But it being a recreation area, I wasn't sure what to expect.

I believe the recreation area we went to was Proud Lake State Recreation Area, but there weren't many trails or if there were I couldn't find them. We ended up checking out the Wixom Habitat and Lakeshore park instead.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:04 PM

Fora different kind of park, try the Detroit Riverwalk. It is actually quite beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit