Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 03:45 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Thought of adding this to DEVELOPMENTS IN MIDTOWN..but...

Just to keep the conversation balanced and so no one can say they thought they found paradise in MidTown..

A 23-year-old man and his friends were walking in the street at Second and Canfield. They heard shots being fired

23-year-old man shot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 03:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Oddly cryptic report. Was this just some guy randomly walking around at 3:10 a.m. and the bullets hit him by chance, or was he the target? Gang fight? Drug deal? Family dispute? Were they leaving a party?

Someone just going for a walk and getting shot by a complete stranger almost never happens, anywhere. Just out for a stroll at 3:10 a.m. seems unlikely as well.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:21 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Murder in Detroit's Midtown neighborhood | WJBK

Was a targeted attack. Though regardless of whether it was random or targeted, it doesn't exactly mean Midtown is suddenly turning south. Still tragic nonetheless and no neighborhood of Detroit needs to deal with homicides.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:45 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
One less drug deal gone bad in the future.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:58 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
That's a cold way to look at it. This was someone's son. Someone's best friend. Maybe someone's husband, boyfriend, or dad. Sure, he probably made some crappy extra-curricular decisions, but it's nothing that couldn't have been corrected, and now he's gone, because some scumbag with a gun decided their rage was more important that another's life.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:26 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Yeah, 'cause murder is better than a bad drug deal.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Yeah, 'cause murder is better than a bad drug deal.
I took BIR's statement as meaning if he did not get killed when this deal went bad, it would be the next one. I do pity the loved ones of a drug dealer, or gang banger who gets killed, but it should hardly be a surprise to them.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:46 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Exactly - every choice we make has risks/consequences - one of the risks/consequences of every drug transaction (based on the presumption of nervous pacing back and forth) is that there could be jail time and/or death. A nun would not have those same risks based on her choice of vocation. Therefore - while it is sad a life was lost - it's a good reminder to those considering dabbling in the drug trade - often the price you pay could be your life. Is it worth it?

Old 01-12-2017, 10:49 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
Having read both stories linked above I see no reference to a drug deal gone bad.
While that is certainly a possibility I can make up a few other possibilities void of any facts.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:33 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Thought of adding this to DEVELOPMENTS IN MIDTOWN..but...

Just to keep the conversation balanced and so no one can say they thought they found paradise in MidTown..

A 23-year-old man and his friends were walking in the street at Second and Canfield. They heard shots being fired

23-year-old man shot
I bet when you saw the title of that article, your lips curled up in a wide, cheeky grin. "Finally, here is proof that Midtown is the dangerous warzone that I have been claiming all along", exclaimed zthatzmanz28!!

Your view is not balanced. Your narrative is: the whole city of Detroit is a cesspool, even Midtown.

Here is my narrative, and it is far more balanced: Midtown has improved leaps and bounds, is on its way to becoming a vibrant urban neighborhood, but still is in a state of transition. Midtown is an urban neighborhood and will always have more crime than pristine streetcar suburbs like Royal Oak.

To see if I could prove my point, I thought of Chicago and the first 3 urban upscale Chicago neighborhoods that popped into my head were Andersonville, Lakeview, and Logan Square. I then went to Google and typed in 'andersonville Chicago shooting', 'lakeview Chicago shooting', etc, and the following were the search results:

Andersonville:
Man shot, critically wounded in Andersonville, November 24th, 2016

Lakeview:
Lakeview: Triple-Shooting at Sheffield and Oakdale, October 29th, 2016

Logan Square:
Chicago shootings: 3 hit in Logan Square, October 28th, 2016

Even the best of urban neighborhoods have some violent crime. It's very, very unfortunate, but that's reality in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit