Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,658 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I moved from Wayne State University to a neighborhood in Detroit a few weeks ago. It is near Broadstreet Ave and Livernois Ave. The zip code is 48238. I lived by myself and I don't feel safe at night. I have an app in my phone and it tells me every day the neighborhood has some crimes. I am always worried about someone break into my house although I have installed guardian alarm at my house. Could some one let me know if the neighborhood I lived is safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 09:34 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina520 View Post
Hello,

I moved from Wayne State University to a neighborhood in Detroit a few weeks ago. It is near Broadstreet Ave and Livernois Ave. The zip code is 48238. I lived by myself and I don't feel safe at night. I have an app in my phone and it tells me every day the neighborhood has some crimes. I am always worried about someone break into my house although I have installed guardian alarm at my house. Could some one let me know if the neighborhood I lived is safe?
Just go on MLS and type in the zip code. Let us know what you think.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:39 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,249,462 times
I am a fan of the 2nd amendment.
If you have a clean record a reliable handgun can be had for as little as $300.
Add:
$20 for 20 rounds of personal protection ammo...you will hopefully never use
$15 for 50 rounds of range ammo...you will replenish 3-6 times a year.
$15-$20 for periodic visits to a gun range so you are comfortable with your weapon.
$30-$150 for a lockable handgun case for when you are not at home

As the saying goes.... "when seconds matter the police are only minutes away"

Old 05-27-2017, 10:49 AM

123 posts, read 160,195 times
Your title and post are two very different things...

Old 05-27-2017, 01:38 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina520 View Post
Hello,

48238 crime index

City data statistics for 48238

Old 05-29-2017, 06:51 PM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Safe is a relative term. I wouldn't say any place is completely safe. There is crime even in the best suburbs and many people spend their whole life in the city without experiencing major crimes. You could do some things for prevention:

-Plant rose bushes or picker bushes (crimson barberry) under your windows.
-Install motion light on the outside of your home.
-Leave lights, radios, TVs on in your home when you are gone. Make it easy by using a light timer.
-Put up a "Beware of Dog" sign even if you don't have one. Put a doggie bowl outside your side door.
-If you hear a noise at night, go from room to room turning on all the lights and making a lot of noise. They'll think the house is full of people.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:19 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,577 times
The easiest way to avoid major crime:

1) Don't engage in drug trafficking
2) Don't engage in gun trafficking
3) Don't engage in sex trafficking
4) Don't engage in domestic disputes with family members
5) Don't engage in anything gang related

Avoiding those five vices will generally keep you from having something bad happening in Detroit, or anywhere really.
Doesn't necessarily help avoid larceny, car break-ins, or petty theft but you should live to see another day otherwise.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:49 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,126 times
No it's very dangerous. Move now!

Old 05-30-2017, 02:10 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
I remember the tale of Johnette Barham, whose house kept getting broke into despite all her efforts to stop it. Finally some douchebag set it on fire and killed her pets. She had to move out of Detroit. To my knowledge she didn't do anything shady.

Her story became indicative of black flight:
Note that this is from 2010. According to the Wall Street Journal article the house was on Atkinson Street, just one block south of the southern boundary of Boston-Edison.

Barham paid an investment into a rental property north of Boston-Edison in 2002, bought in the Atkinson street area in 2003 and purchased the ill-fated house in 2004.

Her tenants at the rental house were frightened off by several break-ins affecting their automobile and an incident where one/some were held at gunpoint. The rental was foreclosed after Barham was laid off from her job in 2007.

The burglaries happened on and off... The first theft of items from the house happened before she moved in: somebody stole tools owned by her contractor. Her back door was broken in in February 2004. After one happened in July 17, 2005, she got an alarm. In November 2005 another breakin hapened and somebody took the alarm off the wall; she decided to get a dog. She stayed even though her friends asked her to move. In January 2009 the suspect accused of ultimately burning the house was alleged to have burglarized it for the first time. One happened in October 2009 even though the dog was in the house. December 17, 2009, when the house was torched, killing the dog and the cat. By 2010 she moved to a temporary residence in West Bloomfield.

---

Now it's 2017. I wonder if she has moved back to Detroit, and how Atkinson Street and that area is doing.

Last edited by Vicman; 05-30-2017 at 02:34 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 06:26 AM

21 posts, read 27,576 times
That doesn't seem like a particularly good area unless you are close to UDM.

If you went to Wayne State or go to Wayne State I am not sure why you would move to an area that you are not familiar with that is not in a particularly attractive area to live in, in terms of nearby amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: