Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:53 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Cass Corridor is still pretty sparse and empty to me. It's actually much less active than 20 years ago, though undoubtedly much more upscale.
20 years ago, the Cass Corridor did not have the following newer housing developments: The Ellington, Studio One, the Auburn, The Scott, the Garden Block

20 years ago, the Cass Corridor did not have the following renovated housing developments: Willys Lofts, the Strathmore, Cass Plaza, the El Moore.
(Current residential projects in construction include the 12-unit The Selden, restoration of the James Scott Mansion into apartments, restoration of Patterson Terrace, and more)

20 years ago, the Cass Corridor had a lot of dive bars, but it did not have retail options like Will Ed Leather Goods, Bob’s Classic Kicks, Peacock Room, Carhartt, Nora, Hugh

20 years ago, Midtown did not have restaurant options like Sweet Lorraine’s Mac & Brewz, Selden Standard, Rock City Eatery, Royale with Cheese, Pi-Sci?

20 years ago
, Midtown did not have the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit and N'Namdi Center for Contemporary Art

20 years ago, Midtown did not have coffee shops like SocraTea, Great Lakes Coffee, Bottom Line Coffee House

20 years ago, Midtown did not have a streetcar that had daily ridership of 6,000.

How could you possibly say it is much less active than 20 years ago. Yes, it is not nearly as packed as Chelsea or Fort Greene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 06:04 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,623 times
I was in Detroit this weekend as well, I'm going home today. It has been about 5 or 6 years since I had last been here. I was born in Detroit, but left in 1989. The city looks better than it has for as long as I can remember. I had such a great time. What was most impressive is that it seemed like there was construction and improvements in any section I traveled to. Even the train station has windows now! So cool to see all of this. I know it will take time because it's such a large geographic area, but I'm impressed with everything I've seen. The weather was so nice as well, but I didn't pack well. I brought shorts, tshirts and sandals mostly. I ended up buying a sweatshirt at DIA on Friday.....in August...haha. Now back to Nashville where I won't b able to wear that til October or so.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:50 PM

9 posts, read 8,663 times
Thanks for that info to The Prof...looking for more positive info about Detroit...Congratulations to the city and the people of Detroit for climbing up and shining like a thousand stars...

Old 10-06-2017, 09:28 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
I just came back from my first visit and I had the same impression. Midtown up Woodward & Downtown, I've got nothing bad to say at all.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:10 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,106,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperViking View Post
Thanks for that info to The Prof...looking for more positive info about Detroit...Congratulations to the city and the people of Detroit for climbing up and shining like a thousand stars...

Old 10-15-2017, 06:36 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,894 times
Went to Hopcat after the marathon today; as usual Midtown doesn't disappoint. It's has such a real, urban, big-city feel to it while having all the affordability and relaxed atmosphere of the Midwest.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Went to Hopcat after the marathon today; as usual Midtown doesn't disappoint. It's has such a real, urban, big-city feel to it while having all the affordability and relaxed atmosphere of the Midwest.
you hung out in the hardcore ghetto that is Midtown? good golly my lolly your brave. Did anyone get shot? did you get carjacked? robbed? Let some of these posters tell it, Midtown might as well but Compton. .

Old 10-16-2017, 02:25 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
you hung out in the hardcore ghetto that is Midtown? good golly my lolly your brave. Did anyone get shot? did you get carjacked? robbed? Let some of these posters tell it, Midtown might as well but Compton. .
Detroit as a whole has a higher violent crime rate than Compton. Granted Midtown is not "Detroit as a whole" but you I imagine Compton has a safe neighborhood or two.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:45 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Detroit as a whole has a higher violent crime rate than Compton. Granted Midtown is not "Detroit as a whole" but you I imagine Compton has a safe neighborhood or two.
So Geo-Aggie and MS313 specifically talk about MIDTOWN, yet you bring up the whole city of Detroit, which is irrelevant to what they were talking about. A certain poster whose name starts with 'z', has recently been criticizing Midtown, even quoting a stat that claims Midtown has almost twice as much crime as the average Detroit neighborhood.

So their point is that Midtown is not this dangerous, depressing cesspool that 'z' is claiming. Whether Compton is dangerous or not, and how its crime compares to the whole city of Detroit, is not germaine at all to what they were talking about....but you chose to focus on that and even make a post about it.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:50 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
So Geo-Aggie and MS313 specifically talk about MIDTOWN, yet you bring up the whole city of Detroit, which is irrelevant to what they were talking about. A certain poster whose name starts with 'z', has recently been criticizing Midtown, even quoting a stat that claims Midtown has almost twice as much crime as the average Detroit neighborhood.

So their point is that Midtown is not this dangerous, depressing cesspool that 'z' is claiming. Whether Compton is dangerous or not, and how its crime compares to the whole city of Detroit, is not germaine at all to what they were talking about....but you chose to focus on that and even make a post about it.
LMAOOO!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit