Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:50 PM

172 posts, read 486,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
If you search on "air quality in Detroit" on Google it states that it is 31, out of 500 (zero being the best) and that the main pollutant is ozone. I searched Indianapolis and Denver, out of curiosity. Denver has a rating of 44, with PM 2.5 being the primary pollutant, and Indianapolis has a 2 with carbon monoxide being the primary pollutant. And they all ranked "good". Cincinnati is not that good either, at 41, PM 2.5 being the primary pollutant.

Not sure what any of this means except that Detroit is better than Indianapolis and worse than Denver?

Apparently the air where I am is really clean, at 2, here in Norfolk, VA. Nitrogen Dioxide is what you have to worry about here. Maybe you should move here, or someplace like New York City, that ranks 11 out of 500.

Only thing I can take away from this is that heavily post-industrial areas like Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Chicago rank a lot higher on the pollution index, even though they're technically "good", and other places not so much. Cleveland is a 1 though, which is about as good as it gets. I would check that out; the cities are very similar.

I think emissions has a lot to do with it. Like Los Angeles still ranks at 55.
Wow, Cleveland's score is impressive considering pollution was so bad in the 70's (or maybe 60's?) that it's river caught on fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 05:04 AM

6,345 posts, read 11,110,661 times
The last time I was in Cleveland I recall the air near the lake was not bad at all. Once I got a few miles inland it got worse at least according to my sinus gauge. :-)

Old 04-13-2018, 07:42 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,672,537 times
The Great Lakes Restoration Initiative has been a fantastic program for restoring the environment on and near the Great Lakes. Lake Eire is still the most polluted of the lakes, but there's really no worry it'll catch fire again. This is a fund that has been so beneficial to the region, that both Republican and Democratic Senators and House Representatives from all the Great Lakes states fought Trump on his desires to slash its budget. I was really impressed with the Republican representatives in Michigan for standing up for the environment on that one.

The lakes mean a lot to the economy of our state. They mean a lot to Ohio, Wisconsin, Ontario, Chicago, Northern Minnesota and Western New York as well. Having programs in place to limit pollution on them is critically important.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
What do you base this assessment on? Research? Speculation? A wild guess? Because the EPA disagrees with you.

https://www.sierraclub.org/planet/20...ounty-michigan
No. Actually this article agrees with me.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:08 AM

169 posts, read 185,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No. Actually this article agrees with me.
Actually, it contradicts what you’re saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit