Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,957 times

Advertisements

Can anybody give us an advice? We are thinking about moving to the area of Detroit, but we don't know very much about the greater area. My husband could have a job in Wyandotte and he don't like to drive longer than half an hour. So I was thinking about moving south of Wayndotte, maybe Gibraltar or Grosse Ile. We would like to buy a house in a nice country area with good shopping conditions. Can anybody help us?
Will Germans have problems because of their country?
Sorry about my english.
Steffi (Steph)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 03:31 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Grosse Ile is the "cream of the crop" as far as downriver cities go! It's a wealthy segregated island! Only downside to Grosse Ile, depending on where you live, you could be facing a chemical plant(in Wyandotte-BASF and others) across the water. Not too long ago, one caught fire and blew the fumes into the Grosse Ile area. People were complaining!

There is plenty of shopping to be had in either Dearborn, Allen Park or even the Southland Mall (and many other stores in that area) in Taylor.

Gibraltar is getting less and less "country" but if you look hard, you'll find a nice spot! As with many other communities/cities south of Wyandotte.

There should be no problem with you being "German"...i'm sure people will be more curious of your accent if anything!

Old 01-05-2007, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 20,794 times
Default stay away from taylor

From Germany, cities to avoid are 1-Taylor, 2-Taylor and 3- Taylor

Old 01-10-2007, 10:42 AM

15 posts, read 45,108 times
Don't worry about being from Germany. It's not a big deal.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,957 times
Ok, now I know that it is not a big deal to be german, but could anbody give me an advice where we could live?
Remember 30 up to 50 minutes to Wayndotte.
Nice country, some trees or lakeside would be perfect.
Is it better to go west from Wayndotte, direction Ann Arbor or north.
There must be anything nice.
Where would you like to live, if you would have to work in Waydotte???

Steffi

Old 01-25-2007, 12:40 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
Germans are more than welcome! You should read up on the Detroit area though. Don't live anywhere in Detroit. The northern suburbs are nice (Troy, West Bloomfield, Rochester, etc.).

Old 01-25-2007, 05:27 PM

23 posts, read 86,013 times
check Google earth - i dont see many trees around Wayndotte ?

Old 01-26-2007, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 10,465 times
Why would you want to move to Michigan? Aside from the weather being the same there as it is in Germany, Michigan will be pretty boring and a big adjustment for you. I moved away from Michigan (lived in Warren and/or Eastpointe all my life!) as soon as I turned 18 and have not been back since. If you are not into hunting or camping, there is really nothing to do, the weather is horrible, trash is a big problem on roadways, not to mention, the great lakes are some of THE MOST polluted lakes in the world (I think it was Superior that is so polluted, a FIRE broke out on it a few years back!) I would not move back to Michigan if my life depended on it!

Old 01-27-2007, 05:23 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April H View Post
Why would you want to move to Michigan? Aside from the weather being the same there as it is in Germany, Michigan will be pretty boring and a big adjustment for you. I moved away from Michigan (lived in Warren and/or Eastpointe all my life!) as soon as I turned 18 and have not been back since. If you are not into hunting or camping, there is really nothing to do, the weather is horrible, trash is a big problem on roadways, not to mention, the great lakes are some of THE MOST polluted lakes in the world (I think it was Superior that is so polluted, a FIRE broke out on it a few years back!) I would not move back to Michigan if my life depended on it!
You are correct and I agree with you. I was born in Detroit, raised in the suburbs and moved away 10 years ago and haven't missed it. I still go back yearly to visit family but wouldn't want to live there again.

But some people love it... my sister for one. She loves the changing of the seasons, living in the city and having a cabin up north in the woods, boating, snowmobile riding, etc. She'd never even consider leaving there, she loves it.

You do have to keep in mind though that Michigan is on hard times right now economically. People are losing their jobs and houses by the thousands. Many are moving out of the state looking for work.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:47 PM

9 posts, read 26,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April H View Post

Sorry... I just can't let this go. April H., if you dislike Michigan so much, fine. You've moved... good for you. Sounds like you haven't had much success with your education since then, though. Lake Superior catching on fire??!! Please. Perhaps you are referring to the Rouge River catching fire in the 196os?
And calling the great lakes some of the most polluted in the world is more misinformation. Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Last edited by Marka; 01-28-2007 at 03:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit