Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:05 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,145,688 times

Advertisements

Developing Detroit: New bridge named after Gordie Howe; GM plans $1B investment | MLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 06:25 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,624 times
I hope that the people of Michigan are aware of the facts about WHO is paying for the entire cost of the bridge AND the US Customs facility buildings and roadways on the US side of the bridge.

CANADA is.

link. Canada to pay entire cost of Detroit-Windsor U.S. Customs plaza - The Globe and Mail

What does that say about the US and it's attitude towards international trade ? Or the state of Michigan's financial situation ?

Jim B.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:59 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,606,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I hope that the people of Michigan are aware of the facts about WHO is paying for the entire cost of the bridge AND the US Customs facility buildings and roadways on the US side of the bridge.

CANADA is.

link. Canada to pay entire cost of Detroit-Windsor U.S. Customs plaza - The Globe and Mail

What does that say about the US and it's attitude towards international trade ? Or the state of Michigan's financial situation ?

Jim B.
Yes, Michiganders are well aware because that's how they wanted it. The state of Michigan currently has a surplus of money, but Michigan voters didn't want to spend it on the bridge. However, Canada was the more motivated party to get the bridge built and so they are paying for the majority of it. The US Custom's Plaza would have been paid for by the US Federal Government, but I don't suppose you've been watching C-SPAN or Fox News up there in Canada have you?

Old 05-18-2015, 07:50 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,949 times
Quote:

CANADA is.

Jim B.
Did you come here to harass Americans, Jim? These are rather unfriendly comments. They strike me as being both petty and unnecessary.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:23 AM

The truth is petty ?

Did you read the article ? It makes it pretty clear that the US is making little effort in this massive project, while Canada is paying for it. That was my point.

Jim B.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:27 AM

Animatedmartian.

Did you read the article ?

Canada IS paying for the building of the US Customs facility, on the Michigan side of the new bridge.

Here read this.

link. $250M U.S. customs plaza to be paid for by Canada - Windsor - CBC News

That was my point.

Jim B.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:06 AM

464 posts, read 452,160 times
Quote:
Animatedmartian.

Canada IS paying for the building of the US Customs facility, on the Michigan side of the new bridge.

Here read this.

That was my point.

Jim B.
Harper offered to pay as part of his platform for the 2015 elections. It is not our problem Canadians want to pay for a bridge that really could wait a few years.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:23 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,949 times
Quote:
The truth is petty ?

Did you read the article ? It makes it pretty clear that the US is making little effort in this massive project, while Canada is paying for it. That was my point.

Jim B.
So what, Jim?

I'm quite familiar with this issue. The Canadians want this new crossing quite badly. The Americans, for whatever reason, are less keen. The bridge was also being pushed for hard by Canada at a time when the State of Michigan was comparatively broke. This is an odd issue about which to post in the Detroit forum unless you're trying to pick a fight or to stir up controversy.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:51 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,606,993 times
Quote:
Animatedmartian.

Here read this.

That was my point.

Jim B.
Yes, I understand your point. And my point is that Canada chose to pay for it because those on the American side were less supportive/didn't really care that much about the whole bridge, custom plazas and all. Very few Michiganders believe Detroit needed a 2nd bridge to Canada in the first place, but since we're not paying for it other than through tolls, there's not a whole lot negative to it getting built. Whatever issue you do or don't have with the bridge falls entirely on the Canadian government.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:52 PM

21,156 posts, read 19,748,059 times
As I understand it, Canada will be keeping all the tolls collected to pay for the bridge. Heck, I'd be willing to build a bridge if I could keep all future tolls. But the reason Canada wants to build the bridge downriver is because they have failed to upgrade their approach to the current Ambassador Bridge. Matty Maroun (owner of the Ambassador Bridge) has the money (at no cost to either government/taxpayer) to build a new bridge alongside the current one and has been trying to get the necessary approval to do so. (That money has accumulated from tolls collected.) But he has been prevented from doing so for political reasons. A few weeks ago, Maroun acquired a piece of land from the City of Detroit necessary for his new bridge, so it's possible some politicians are coming to their senses on this.

As for the name...pfffft!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: