Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 39,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
With all due respect, although MI might suck, I think your issue wasn't the people being snobby because of a sense of superiority, but your West Coast culture that shines through. You say things that most people would be totally offended by (not me, but I'm peculiar) and seem to have a belief that they would overlook their hurt feelings and help you. That's a pure West Coast patented thing.

As a Michigander on the left coast for a time, I hated it... I hate the people and their naive beliefs (no offense, but talking trash and then expecting help is naive) and their sneaky ways. When I lived in MI and met West Coasters, I didn't know at the time I disliked them because of their culture, but, now that I've encountered masses of them, I know that was the problem.

Chances are, you're not going to find any place you like in MI. The respectable people will be courteous but distant. The less respectable people will be somewhat rude...

Like me on the West Coast, your choice may be limited to grin and bear it until your time passes or change who you are.

Ann Arbor might be the best bet for you. You'll get a higher, yet low, percentage of like-minded people.

Good luck, and may you return ASAP. I know how difficult it is living amongst people you don't approve of.

You know that is a really lame response....I have no sense of superiority - I simply said that I was young when I moved to Michigan from Seattle (not California). Seattle is a very green state, so like I said before it was quite a culture shock to me when I found people littering the streets and people leaving their shopping carts in parking lots to be blown into other people's cars. I simply found that to be rude and disrespecful - my opinion has NOTHING to do w/ a superior attitude.

I only mentioned littering in my original post because I was shocked that on more than one occasion at stoplights I witnessed people throwing trash out their windows. Wow - I wished I could have gotten out of my car and threw the trash back into their car!!!! Hey thats just me, must be my "superior" attitude!!!! I have lived in a lot of places and cant say that I have ever seen such a brazen disrespect for ones surroundings.

California is its own culture. Having lived in Seattle, Portland and LA I know that Oregon and Washington are far different than California. I wonder where you were transplanted to - California I assume.

My husband is a native Michigander and I totally offend him all the time with my observations about Michigan....It is kind of funny you should say this as I just noticed the correlation. My observations are not a direct attack on my husband or any other Michigander. Go ahead and knock Seattle - For instance - say something like people are so dumb because they wear shorts in the winter...I dont care....I would just say Yep your absolutely right...I would not reply with Oh that is just your midwestern superior attitude!

I most certainly agree that snobby people are all over the place in every state and every city. I just dont deal w/ their "superior" attitudes so I try to avoid places that are heavily infiltrated with those types and that is exactly why I was asking on the forum where the cool, laid back people live. I appreciate everyone who replied with a helpful response. Having a husband who is in the military I have lived all over and know from experience that it takes time to get acclimated so for you to say that I wont find anyplace in Michigan is complete hogwash!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 12:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
So there is absolutely no littering and/or trash in Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit