Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:06 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times

Advertisements

Most are probably so far gone its not worthwhile to even consider them.

The city probably owns properties that were foreclosed for taxes violations.

What about them?

The Santa Rita building on 35 Owen is on the demolition list- I am not in Detroit but it has architectural value if it could be saved - it should.

People are dreaming that Detroit will come back by itself. Crime,high taxes, Job losses, and unfavorable weather are probably killers.

The one thing that Detroit does have going for it are its rich assortment of old buildings- that brings people - at least to look. Improvements in one or two of the other categories might make it plausible for some to stay/move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 12:31 PM

22 posts, read 230,696 times
[quote=

People are dreaming that Detroit will come back by itself. Crime,high taxes, Job losses, and unfavorable weather are probably the killers[/QUOTE]

I guess some people decide for others what is favorable and unfavorable. Everyone that likes to snow ski, snow mobile, play real pond hockey, go sleding, snowball fight, make snowmen, ice fish, and so on are just bummed about the weather.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM

Blue lake you are correct -each to their own as far as weather and some love the cold. I meant in a general sense people do not move to colder climates -their has been an exodus over the past 40 years to the sunbelt.

WHAT I WAS TRYING TO FIND OUT HOWEVER - was - does the city county or who sell these abandoned buildings ...

Old 11-25-2008, 03:08 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Chances are it's usually the bank holding the mortgage note. I daresay the city owns some, but most of the places are either going to be rental properties in disuse or on a foreclosure list somewhere. At least I think that's what you're asking.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
The City owns a lot of the abandoned houses. They do not take care of them and eventually tear them down. Restoring any historic building is pricey but rewarding. The City tensds to ream everyone for taxes though and they have no common sense about making deals that are good for the City long term.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:03 PM

Well put Cold! pennywise and pound foolish. One of the nicest churches in Buffalo was just sold to people who rather take it apart and move it than keep it in Buffalo and pay the huge taxes.

These cities need to understand its better to have a low tax rate on a viable building, than to use the tax to scare people from ever trying to acquire it and insure its decay and eventual demolition at taxpayers expense. <<< Hey that's well put also lol

Old 11-28-2008, 05:13 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
From my understanding, if you buy land or a house from the city, you have to pay the backtaxes, correct?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
From my understanding, if you buy land or a house from the city, you have to pay the backtaxes, correct?
That is my understanding. That is why they are being so stupid. They rather tear them all down than forgive back taxes owed by the prior owner. Silly.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:53 PM

910 posts, read 2,985,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Most are probably so far gone its not worthwhile to even consider them.

The city probably owns properties that were foreclosed for taxes violations.

What about them?

The Santa Rita building on 35 Owen is on the demolition list- I am not in Detroit but it has architectural value if it could be saved - it should.

People are dreaming that Detroit will come back by itself. Crime,high taxes, Job losses, and unfavorable weather are probably killers.

The one thing that Detroit does have going for it are its rich assortment of old buildings- that brings people - at least to look. Improvements in one or two of the other categories might make it plausible for some to stay/move in.

Twin cities have more snow than Detroit. I would rather have blue skies in the summer and snow on the ground in the winter than hurricanes and tornados. Or no rain at all like LA and wild fires like the rest of Southern California, or too much rain like Seattle and New York. But the rain doesn't seem to stop those cites. Everyone wants to go to Times Square or see the Seattle Space Needle. Detroit just needs something of its own that attracts people, but they just haven't found a solution yet.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:19 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
yes. that the catch. you can get the building for free, but you now have to pay 40 years of back taxes, based on a false value that never existed to begin with.

if the city wanted to get rid of them they could. but its the blind leading the deaf, dumb and stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit