Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 04:34 PM

6 posts, read 23,973 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking at a potential job offer in Detroit, we'll know more next week. Anyway, in anticipation, we would like to put together an approximate budget so we will know how much he has to bring home monthly. Based on what I've been reading it may be awhile before I find employment so we want to make sure we can live off of what he makes.

That being said, please share the names of the cable, phone and internet companies on the west side. In this case google has not been my friend, but I hope you all will. Does one pay for their own trash and water or are they a part of city services? We plan to rent a house, any other information that you can offer that will help us plan a budget would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 05:12 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juligan View Post
My husband is looking at a potential job offer in Detroit, we'll know more next week. Anyway, in anticipation, we would like to put together an approximate budget so we will know how much he has to bring home monthly. Based on what I've been reading it may be awhile before I find employment so we want to make sure we can live off of what he makes.

That being said, please share the names of the cable, phone and internet companies on the west side. In this case google has not been my friend, but I hope you all will. Does one pay for their own trash and water or are they a part of city services? We plan to rent a house, any other information that you can offer that will help us plan a budget would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I know that at&t is big. They are not the best service out there but they are okay. That is what I have for my phone, internet, and TV.

In Detroit proper I am not sure if you have to pay for your trash these days, it use to be that it was free. And water, I believe you always had to pay, it's cheaper than the suburbs though.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:00 PM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
It really depends on where you live. Also, cable availablity depends on where you live. There's Comcast (don't waste your time with them), WOW! (Wide Open West - we had their service and loved it) and At&t (because we moved and didn't get Wow! we opted for AT&T and love it)

Old 01-03-2009, 01:56 PM

8 posts, read 35,192 times
Comcast has the biggest area, and in most areas, its your only option besides dish. I do not recomend dish to people that live in MI bc of out crappy weather 6 months out of the year. The reception can be really bad in most areas. Most people do not like comcast, I have them, their ok. WOW in certain areas, people seem to like them. If you find your self settling in Novi, Farmington, Livonia or Redford (Novi and Livonia are my top 2 choises when I eventually buy a house) Brighthouse is the provider for those 4 citys. I dont recommend ATT's U-verse, it just came out last year, their still working out a lot of kinks. Its just like cars, you wouldnt buy one the first year it came out. Not only that they will show you a package comparable to another companies tripple play (cable, internet and phone) and it may be the same price or a few dollars cheaper but what they dont tell you is the internet speed is usually 1 -3 mbg, where brighthouse or comcast's tripple play has a speed of 6 or 7mgb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit