Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:07 PM

186 posts, read 588,106 times

Advertisements

Palmer Woods in the most exclusive neighborhoods in Detroit and was once home of the city's most powerful people and it's still a beautiful neighborhood, and yes it's better than Boston-Edison, Indian Village, Rosedale Park, I think the only neighborhood that can compete is it's neighbor Sherwood Forest. The names of the streets in Palmer Woods are: Argyle Crescent, Stranthcona Drive, Lincolnshire Drive, Woodston Drive, Lucerne Drive, Balmoral Drive, Wellesley Drive, Afton Road, Burlington Drive, Cumberland Way, Suffolk Drive,Gloucester Drive, and Lowell Drive, all beautiful. Architects don't design that like they used to from 1910 through the early sixties, mostly before the Great Depression, all the Tudor Revivals, Georgians, Colonials, it should set and example for how a subdivion should be. If this were thirty years ago it would seem like one of the most upscale of Boston, New York, or Chicago Suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 03:10 PM

35 posts, read 114,357 times
So how bad ARE the property taxes in PW? Anyone? There are a few houses that are exceedingly cheap ($60-70k), and then the rest for sale right now look to be from about $250k-$600k+... what makes the difference? Just upkeep? Or do the really cheap "bank-owned" homes just probably have extreme repair needs or major back taxes?

So boys living there (and wanting to stay out of Detroit Public Schools)would need to go to UofD Jesuit, and I assume girls would go up Woodward to Marian?

My wife and I are considering moving from here in Scottsdale in 1-2 years, and we are honestly looking all over the country (Seattle, Dayton, Chapel Hill, Austin) - she's from Southfield though and would like to be close to her family that's there, but not too close

Can anyone comment specifically on the safety of PW? My wife tends to be... ummmm... a bit skittish at times. It seems like a pretty diverse neighborhood (from their website) but would it matter that I'm white, she's black and our children (2 and 9mo) are biracial?

Is there anyone here that has maintained one of these "monsters" and can give a general idea of what you're looking at financially as far as basic upkeep of a Palmer Woods home - one that's 3500sqft, for example?

We are both Master's-level social workers, and so I assume (and have found online) that social work jobs are actually not terribly difficult to find there... this may be a reach, but does anyone here know much about the sustainability of a private therapy practice in metro Detroit? I'm a therapist for an HIV/AIDS service organization right now, so I figure maybe Ferndale would be a decent place to consider given my experience and skillset (HIV/AIDS, 'gay' issues, substance abuse - esp meth) - anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:20 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
I wouldn't worry about crime too much as long as you don't leave the subdivision. But remember that line from Apocalypse Now when Chef almost got eaten by the Tiger......."Don't ever leave the boat!!"

If your wife is "skittish", she's going to have to go north of 8 Mile to conveniently shop for just about anything. Some of the suburbs around there have schools of choice and there are charter schools, but I doubt you'd want to sent your kids to school in Detroit. Except maybe for Renaissance. I believe they just recently added a very nice addition onto the school. Kind of ironic that Detroit's premier public school is housed in the old Catholic Central building.

I'm guessing taxes on a $200,000.00 house would be roughly $6,000.00-$7,000.00. Insurance for house and cars? Not sure.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:30 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,782 times
yeah, you'd be in some pretty sketchy areas as soon as you left the sub. oakland county is a fantastic area, as well as a great area to raise a family. i'd prefer to live there.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:29 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
I wouldn't worry about crime too much as long as you don't leave the subdivision. But remember that line from Apocalypse Now when Chef almost got eaten by the Tiger......."Don't ever leave the boat!!"

If your wife is "skittish", she's going to have to go north of 8 Mile to conveniently shop for just about anything. Some of the suburbs around there have schools of choice and there are charter schools, but I doubt you'd want to sent your kids to school in Detroit. Except maybe for Renaissance. I believe they just recently added a very nice addition onto the school. Kind of ironic that Detroit's premier public school is housed in the old Catholic Central building.

I'm guessing taxes on a $200,000.00 house would be roughly $6,000.00-$7,000.00. Insurance for house and cars? Not sure.
Can't forget about Cass Tech and King is actually decent too. After that, the rest of the high schools seem to be iffy at best.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:25 PM

186 posts, read 588,106 times
What about renaissance?

Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Road View Post
What about renaissance?

and the mentioned Renaissance. Definitely the best HS in Detroit.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:45 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Does Renaissance get kids from suburbs?

If DPS is serious about salvaging its student population, it should offer suburban kids free transfers to Renaissance and other reputable magnets (of course, DPS-zoned kids and kids with parents working for DPS get first dibs on placement)

In Houston the HISD is now offering free transfers to suburban students, meaning kids can get into the top magnets and the top comprehensive high schools for free

Old 04-30-2009, 07:58 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
People generally move to the suburbs to get AWAY from Detroit and the Detroit Public School system.....not to send their kids back there...

I'd send my kid to Renaissance if I didn't have any other choice. If I'm in the suburbs, I have choices.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
People generally move to the suburbs to get AWAY from Detroit and the Detroit Public School system.....not to send their kids back there...

I'd send my kid to Renaissance if I didn't have any other choice. If I'm in the suburbs, I have choices.
If DPS makes Renaissance better than many suburban public schools, then suburban parents can have their kids apply to get into Renaissance. If they don't get in, that's okay as the kids can simply go to the suburban high schools. If they get in, great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit