Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see this during the Mich. St. game last weekend?

Personally, I was embarrassed.

Foul mouthed rapper dressed like a typical hood rambling in front of scenes of decay and natives with looks of despair on their faces.

Does the city of Detroit have anyone to represent them in front of the world besides Eminem, Kid Rock or the likes of Kwame Kilpatrick??

And they wonder why no one takes the city seriously anymore? I'm sure business owners and entrepeneurs around the globe - current and future - were real turned onto Detroit after seeing that little feature. Egad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 02:59 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Did anyone see this during the Mich. St. game last weekend?

Personally, I was embarrassed.

Foul mouthed rapper dressed like a typical hood rambling in front of scenes of decay and natives with looks of despair on their faces.

Does the city of Detroit have anyone to represent them in front of the world besides Eminem, Kid Rock or the likes of Kwame Kilpatrick??

And they wonder why no one takes the city seriously anymore? I'm sure business owners and entrepeneurs around the globe - current and future - were real turned onto Detroit after seeing that little feature. Egad.
Is
this the "letter" you're talking about?

If so, I don't think your description of it is very accurate. I saw very few scenes of decay and looks of despair. I saw pride and determination, and a whole lot for a city to be proud of. You may not like the messenger, but I think his message there was good.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Thanks for posting that. I hate the meloncholy tone of that feature with a passion. Sounds like funeral music......how ridiculous.

I am so SICK of seeing stuff like that being used as a mosaic for Detroit! The city and the rest of the world knows it has problems. They don't need crap like that video with it's funeral march soundtrack on a widely viewed national sports broadcast to further emphasize the point. Hell, I half expected a mushroom cloud to go up behind the skyline in the final shot of the feature!

And EMINEM? Are you kidding me? How about someone like Mayor Cockrel, Dave Bing, or Mike Ilitch taking the lead in representing Detroit in front of the world in something like this being viewed by millions of people? Someone that's actually done some good for the city rather than degrading kids minds with vulgar rap music? How about some upbeat music and pictures of people that don't look like they just got out of bed??

Sad, sad, sad.....boo hoo! No wonder that town can't get any respect.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 04-06-2009 at 05:34 PM..

Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
And EMINEM? Are you kidding me? How about someone like Mayor Cockrel, Dave Bing, or Mike Ilitch taking the lead in representing Detroit in front of the world in something like this being viewed by millions of people? Someone that's actually done some good for the city rather than degrading kids minds with vulgar rap music? How about some upbeat music and pictures of people that don't look like they just got out of bed??

Sad, sad, sad.....boo hoo! No wonder that town can't get any respect.
I agree with you about having a better representative but in the same sentence.. he did step up to the plate. Where were the others you mentioned ? Also you lost all credibility in your statement as soon as you said "degrading kids minds with that vulgar rap music", it is an opinion you have and nothing more. He is an entertainer and I don't think his focus in life is to degrade kids minds.

Here is another moral value changing entertainer..
Culture Shock: Flashpoints: Music and Dance: Elvis Presley

Some things never change...

Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,604 times
I also think it would've been great for Ilitch, Bing, et al. to do something like this. But like scarabchuck pointed out, they didn't. Eminem did, and did a good job with it. Obviously you have a problem with Eminem, and that's fine, but the fact is a whole different group of people will listen to and respond to a message coming from him than would if the message came from someone else. He can reach an audience that Ilitch and Bing and Cockrel can't. He went out there and tried to reach the people that look up to him and respect him as a businessman and entrepreneur. The others didn't.

So yeah, I'm with scarabchuck on this one. Would be great to have others do something like that -- but I'd like to see them do it with Eminem, not instead of him.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
They should have used Monica Conyers to speak for Detroit. While what she said would not make any sense (it never does) at least it would be loud and entertaining.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 30,669 times
I don't see anything in that piece to be "embarrassed" about. It's tone was somber, yet hopeful.
Eminem obviously cares for the city/area and it's people. I thought this highlighted the determination and fighting spirit of a city that was built on industry.
I also didn't think he came off looking or sounding like a "hood" or "thug."

Old 04-07-2009, 05:44 PM

29 posts, read 62,990 times
I liked it as well. I think the whole "OH NOES IT'S EMINEM" reaction--which is making itself quite apparent here--is why you never actually see him until the very end. The voice is pretty unmistakeable though.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:48 PM

362 posts, read 1,503,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface905 View Post
I liked it as well. I think the whole "OH NOES IT'S EMINEM" reaction--which is making itself quite apparent here--is why you never actually see him until the very end. The voice is pretty unmistakeable though.
I haven't seen the video yet, however I, too, am tired of the "OH no it's Eminem" reactions.

Has anyone actually LISTENED to some of his lyrics and heard the MESSAGE that's in most of his music? Nah, didn't think so. You'd be surprised at what his message REALLY is. I'll grant you that most of the kids listen to him because of the swear words, but beyond the swear words is a message -- the same kind of message that parents are trying to get over to their kids, but in a different language. If you want to teach anyone anything, you need to speak their language.

(Just so you know, I'm a grandmother of 7 -- one of them is 20 years old, and I have an extremely eclectic taste in music.)

Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 AM

23 posts, read 119,003 times
Northman, what's up with your attitude? It's not like you live in Detroit so butt out and stay where you're at. It was nothing wrong with that Eminem segment, but you wouldn't understand, huh? You're not from Detroit. You don't see what Detroiters are going through, huh? Say what you want but as a Detroiter I am proud of my city. It's been through hell the last couple of years but it's going to make a strong comeback. And speaking of respect, please, Detroit will always be respected. This city gave contributions to the world like no other. And why did you have to say Eminem looks like a hood? Is that your perception of how a thug in Detroit looks like? My friend, not all us are criminals like you people like to think. We are decent, hard working people and it's sad when you judge us before you even know us.

Last edited by EastsideManiac; 04-09-2009 at 12:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: