Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 06:33 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,766 times

Advertisements

As a car buff, I enjoy going to the auto show in my native city of Boston. However, I've been told that the greatest auto show in the country is in Detroit. Are there any enthusiasts who go to the auto show in Detroit regularly? How would you describe it? Can you compare it to any other auto shows you've been to with other cities in the past?

When the show is in town, what month does it appear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 09:18 AM

8 posts, read 21,143 times
When I lived in Detroit, I went every year and have always enjoyed it. I've never been to one in another city, so I don't know how it compares. But I can tell you that it is in January of each year.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:35 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,604 times
I've been to a couple in Detroit, and I went to Charlotte's this year. There's no comparison. While the Charlotte one was certainly nice enough, it wasn't at the level of Detroit's. The display's are fancier/bigger/more complex, there are more concept cars -- it's just overall much more of a first class show.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:57 PM

866 posts, read 4,258,309 times
Detroit's was the best, but sadly it has fallen apart in recent years. This past show (Jan. 2009) was actually the worst one that I had ever seen. From what I can recall Nissan, Infiniti, Land Rover, Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, and Suzuki all pulled out. And they are expecting more to pull out in 2010.

Many believe that Detroit's last auto show at Cobo Center (were it takes place) will be in 2010, if the council can not get a deal to renovate and expand it. If a deal is not worked out in the coming months many Detroit NAIAS organizers say that they will look at having the show in the Detroit Suburbs, probably at the Rock Financial show center in Novi.

Honestly, I would rather go to the Chicago or New York auto show at this point, the Detroit City Council basically just killed the show.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:33 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
Many believe that Detroit's last auto show at Cobo Center (were it takes place) will be in 2010, if the council can not get a deal to renovate and expand it. If a deal is not worked out in the coming months many Detroit NAIAS organizers say that they will look at having the show in the Detroit Suburbs, probably at the Rock Financial show center in Novi.
I will laugh my arse off if it's moved out of Detroit and to Novi. Imagine the auto-industry and the suburbs giving the finger, not to the metro Detroit area, but to the inept and moronic Detroit city council.

Maybe that is the solution. Have Oakland County pay to improve the Rock Financial Center some and then let the auto show be hosted there. Besides, I'm sure that all of the visitors would much rather spend time in posh Novi than the dangerous Detroit ghetto.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:15 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,920 times
Why? What is the Detroit City Council asking of them that they don't want to give or vice versa?

thanks!!

please give both sides.

Quote:
Detroit's was the best, but sadly it has fallen apart in recent years. This past show (Jan. 2009) was actually the worst one that I had ever seen. From what I can recall Nissan, Infiniti, Land Rover, Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, and Suzuki all pulled out. And they are expecting more to pull out in 2010.

Honestly, I would rather go to the Chicago or New York auto show at this point, the Detroit City Council basically just killed the show.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:08 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,822 times
i think the detriot show is the first of the shows is it not?

Old 04-18-2009, 07:09 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,822 times
oh yeah and one more thing....the big three killed my baby

Old 04-18-2009, 07:30 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,683 times
Quote:
Detroit's was the best, but sadly it has fallen apart in recent years. This past show (Jan. 2009) was actually the worst one that I had ever seen.
Now my family would disagree with you, Dexterguy. They liked the fact that the companies who participated had larger areas and were able to do some innovative things, such as the test drives in the new models.

I agree that the Detroit City Council seems to cutting off its nose to spite its face. The problem is, gea12345, that the structure is in need of major repair and rennovations to expand it. Unfortunately, the city does not have the money, in part due to the fact that the former mayor not only participated in a cover-up over the firing of a couple of whistle-blowing cops, but then commited perjury. The upshot of all this is that it cost the city nearly $8 million in damages, and that doesn't even cover what the family of the victim of the original criminal cover-up is asking for.

The governor tried to broker a deal where ownership of Cobo Hall would be transferred to a regional authority consisting of Wayne (where Detroit is), Oakland and Macomb counties, allowing all three to contribute to the upkeep. The council got in a huge snit about the suburbs stealing all Detroit's crown jewels and rejected the offer.

The one good thing in all this is that I understand all seats on the city council are up for grabs in the next election. I have heard some scuttlebutt that many of them are going to find running for re-election an uphill battle. Maybe brighter days are ahead for Detroit. I hope so. She is a grand old lady who deserves better.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:58 PM

866 posts, read 4,258,309 times
MICoastieMom, I agree that the rides in the basement were pretty neat, BUT when dozens of automakers pull out of what is suppose to be the biggest auto show in the country that is not good!

I enjoy looking at the Land Rover's, Ferrari's, and Rolls Royce even though they are not affordable. You still need these kind of cars to attract people to the show. When these companies pulled from the NAIAS this year I was very upset. But, as I said, I don't blame them.

I would hate to see auto show leave Detroit! Detroit is were it belongs! But if city council does not want to give up their "jewels" to a regional authority then fine! Move it to Novi, at least it will still being running, and maybe it will attarct back the auto companies that were lost this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit