Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 05:27 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,145,416 times

Advertisements

Okay, so a friend is getting married on September 5th. I'll be looking to stay in beautiful Detroit city on Friday the 4th and Saturday the 5th. The couple has reserved a block of rooms at two different hotels -- The Marriott at the RenCen and the Hilton Garden Inn on Gratiot.

The rates we've been promised are $119.00/night at the Marriott and $109/night at the Hilton. Neither one would have free parking. At the Marriott, valet would be $25 -- at the Hilton $20. I believe ther is also nearby offsite parking for both, but I suspect the car wouldn't be quite as safe, and with the Jazz Festival it might be hard to actually find parking if not using the hotel's valet -- so I'm planning on paying the extra, mainly for the convenience.

The wedding will be at Comerica Park on Saturday, with the reception to follow in the Tiger Club (also at Comerica Park). I like the location of the Hilton better, in the sense that we could very easily walk to the wedding and back, and go grab some dinner the night before in Greektown or at Small Plates. But the idea of staying at the RenCen seems very nice too -- especially the idea of being able to go check out the Jazz Fest the night before the wedding, but I doubt that I'd want to walk from the RenCen to Comerica and back. How's the people mover runnin' these days?

Well, what do you think? Is there anything I'm forgetting to consider when making this decision? Anybody stay at either of these and love or hate 'em?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 05:19 PM

186 posts, read 588,215 times
MGM Grand

Old 04-20-2009, 08:07 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,145,416 times
^Hahaha... suuuuure. I'm not exactly a $300+/night kinda guy. And that's pre-tax (the cheapest they have available for those dates is $299/night. The others are more like $500. Eek.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: