Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 AM

7 posts, read 15,404 times

Advertisements

Need to move around the detroit airport area. Will be driving to high end retail stores on the east side of state and traveling out of detroit airport. Single 23 year old female. Wanting to rent apartment in area within an hour communte of airport. Seems like alot of comments are to move around the Royal Oak area. Want somewhere to meet people, safe and parks for jogging. Need suggestions on city and apartments to rent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Downriver area is closest to airport. You might try, in no particular order, Allen Park, Southgate, Woodhaven, Wyandotte. There are several Metroparks in the area where you can jog.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:49 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Default Ann Arbor instead of Royal Oak

Both towns are similar in attractiveness to young professionals, but Ann Arbor is only 30 minutes to Detroit Metro Airport. Royal Oak will put you closer to your one hour maximum time limit. Apartment cost for the two towns is probably similar, i.e. high.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:28 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,405 times
Default Recommend RO or AA

I highly recommend Royal Oak or Ann Arbor to meet other young professionals. Royal Oak would probably be ideal, since if you are visiting "high end retail stores" you will probably be spending most of your time in Oakland County, and will be close to both Somerset Collection in Troy and 12 Oaks Mall in Novi. Most of the high-end retail in SE Michigan is based in Oakland County, so it would make sense for you to work there. And unless you are driving in heavy traffic (rush hour), you can get to Detroit Metro Airport within an hour.

I would advise against living Downriver at all for several reasons (I grew up there and was there until I was 23 and graduated college, so I have experienced this first hand):

1) The Downriver/Southern Wayne County is a very blue-collar area (Not that there is anything wrong with that, my dad worked on the line for Chrysler). You will not meet as many other young professionals as you would living in Ann Arbor or Royal Oak. For example, in my hometown of Taylor, according to a Zip Code analysis website, 7% of people have college degrees. This is definitely different then my current location in Chicago, where 75% of people have a college degree.

2) It is a lot more family-oriented in Downriver/Southern Wayne County. People settle down and have kids right after high school/college.

3) There are basically no high-end retail stores in that area, at all. You would have a close drive to the airport, mind you, but for your work going to high-end retail stores you would be facing a daily commute of at least a half-hour to more then an hour, especially if you will have to cover Lakeside Mall or Northern Oakland County.

Perhaps if you name some cities where your stores would be (Or a general area of what counties you have to cover), we can assist you further.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:10 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Royal Oak is a long way from the airport.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,405 times
Default within the OP's limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Royal Oak is a long way from the airport.
She wants to be within an hour of the airport, Royal Oak certainly is, provided it's not during rush hour. 696 to 275 straight to Eureka Road, then it's an easy exit off to McNamara or Smith Terminal. It puts her at the very limit of the hour commute she is looking forward, but it is still within the hour boundary she wants, and it puts her in a desirable neighborhood. Having grown up near DTW, I would have much rather grown up in a nicer neighborhood and been further from the airport.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 AM

45 posts, read 142,521 times
I recommend Ann Arbor also.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:40 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
She wants to be within an hour of the airport, Royal Oak certainly is, provided it's not during rush hour. 696 to 275 straight to Eureka Road, then it's an easy exit off to McNamara or Smith Terminal. It puts her at the very limit of the hour commute she is looking forward, but it is still within the hour boundary she wants, and it puts her in a desirable neighborhood. Having grown up near DTW, I would have much rather grown up in a nicer neighborhood and been further from the airport.
I realize Royal Oak fits some of her criteria, but I just want her to understand that it is not close to the airport at all.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:33 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
What is Romulus like?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:03 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
Romulus is pretty ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit