Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:25 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,863 times

Advertisements

DETNEWS | Weblogs | Living in the D (http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/livinginthedblog/index.php?blogid=210 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 06:39 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
What's going to happen there at night? Do they close it off or what?

Quote:
A 2.5-mile East RiverWalk along the Detroit River opened in 2007. A similar path is planned for the city's west riverfront. The $300 million bike and walking path system eventually will be 5.5 miles long.
Three Hundred MILLION Dollars for a 5.5 mile rails to trails trail combined with a sidewalk along the river.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:32 PM

I would assume its like the Macomb Orchard Trail and left open.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I would assume its like the Macomb Orchard Trail and left open.
Well...in that case...would anyone like to start a pool to predict the first sensational crime that takes place on the "Ho Chi Minh Trail" that is too sensational to be covered up and actually makes the papers? I say 2 months.

Did anyone get the contract yet to install cameras along the length of the part of the trail north of Eastern Market?

On second thought, "Ho Chi Minh Trail" is too cynical even for me. I'll call it "The Yellow Brick Road" instead.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:29 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Can the city of Detroit do anything anymore that will not make people ***** and moan?

Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
All the while thriving cities spent hundreds of millions years ago to create bike and trail networks that improve quality of life and attract residents.

All Detroiters can do is complain about any improvement. Nice.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
All the while thriving cities spent hundreds of millions years ago to create bike and trail networks that improve quality of life and attract residents.

All Detroiters can do is complain about any improvement. Nice.
Doesn't the city have enough places for Detroiters to recreate which are falling apart without spending $300 Million on new trails? What if Detroit prioritized and concentrated on a couple things like public schools and vacant, burned-out buildings, or even maintaining places like Belle Isle?

I really do hope this thing works, but I don't see how you can police something like this with cameras. Seems like $300 Million in pork to me. A pedestrian/bike trail from the river to Eastern Market? Who was walking and/or biking that route BEFORE the trail and why would a trail draw them there now? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is over TWO MILES of BELOW GRADE trail. Which means it's not visible from grade level. In my mind it conjures images of the sunken lane at Antietam. They'd better have someone manning those cameras with access to an instant-action strike force. How much would it cost to station a cop every eighth mile along the trail, 24/7, all year?

I really hope that this thing doesn't turn into a pipeline, feeding victims into the jaws of "the beast". It's BELOW GRADE! That's like a tunnel without a ceiling, right? And incidentally, the cost was more like $4 Million. The best thing we can hope for is deflated copper prices. That way the cameras will hopefully be operational for a while before the wiring is stolen.

OK, OK, I'll try to check it out before being more negative. The concept of linking other areas of the city to take advantage of the synergy of Downtown is interesting, but I don't think this project was a good idea. It's $4 Million and a ton of maintenance that could have been spent on light rail. I guess $4 million doesn't buy what it used to, huh? An elevated trail, ala the Great Wall Of China would have been a better idea than a trench....If it was a circle trail, we could call it a moat and build a nice subdivision in the middle!

Last edited by and the; 05-16-2009 at 07:38 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 07:51 AM

186 posts, read 588,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Doesn't the city have enough places for Detroiters to recreate which are falling apart without spending $300 Million on new trails? What if Detroit prioritized and concentrated on a couple things like public schools and vacant, burned-out buildings, or even maintaining places like Belle Isle?

I really do hope this thing works, but I don't see how you can police something like this with cameras. Seems like $300 Million in pork to me. A pedestrian/bike trail from the river to Eastern Market? Who was walking and/or biking that route BEFORE the trail and why would a trail draw them there now? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is over TWO MILES of BELOW GRADE trail. Which means it's not visible from grade level. In my mind it conjures images of the sunken lane at Antietam. They'd better have someone manning those cameras with access to an instant-action strike force. How much would it cost to station a cop every eighth mile along the trail, 24/7, all year?

I really hope that this thing doesn't turn into a pipeline, feeding victims into the jaws of "the beast". It's BELOW GRADE! That's like a tunnel without a ceiling, right? And incidentally, the cost was more like $4 Million. The best thing we can hope for is deflated copper prices. That way the cameras will hopefully be operational for a while before the wiring is stolen.

OK, OK, I'll try to check it out before being more negative. The concept of linking other areas of the city to take advantage of the synergy of Downtown is interesting, but I don't think this project was a good idea. It's $4 Million and a ton of maintenance that could have been spent on light rail. I guess $4 million doesn't buy what it used to, huh? An elevated trail, ala the Great Wall Of China would have been a better idea than a trench....If it was a circle trail, we could call it a moat and build a nice subdivision in the middle!
I completely agree with this, instead of spending 300 million on something that could decline the city's deficit, they decide to make something thats practically for tourism. The way I see 200 million should go to the public school system and that 100 million hould go to neighborhood revitalization because there is a neighborhood on the other side of Woodward Avenue across from Palmer Woods thats on it's last leg and Dave Bing should and will step in.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:33 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Quote:

Than don't go on it and keep your bitching to yourself. Lets just throw up the white flag now and say the criminals won and we won't try to do anything nice in the city. This is part of revitalizing neighborhoods. People would enjoy a bike or roller blade trail that cuts through their neighborhood that links them to Belle Isle and the river front, and Eastern Market. Would you rather have an abandoned rail road track down there instead? The 300 million is also for the entire project, this greenway cost 3.75 million

Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Well...in that case...would anyone like to start a pool to predict the first sensational crime that takes place on the "Ho Chi Minh Trail" that is too sensational to be covered up and actually makes the papers? I say 2 months.

Did anyone get the contract yet to install cameras along the length of the part of the trail north of Eastern Market?

On second thought, "Ho Chi Minh Trail" is too cynical even for me. I'll call it "The Yellow Brick Road" instead.

I felt unsafe on the Macomb Orchard trail at night time. No lights, no police patrolling it. Anyone can pop out and kill you and you wouldn't see them untill it happen. Stephen Grant lived right by it and that guy chopped up his wife and put the body in the woods. I think some guy from Romeo killed his neighbor and burned her out on the road. The trail goes right through Romeo. So that tells ya what kind of people could be living in suburbs by it.

So really the trail has nothing to do with it being in Detroit and assume that its automatically going to be unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit