Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 09:13 PM

30 posts, read 141,914 times

Advertisements

We know that there are so many Detroiters that have been devastated by job losses because they had jobs directly or closely related to the auto industry. Considering the instability in the car industry, housing market, and financial market, what is the next largest industry and/or employer in Detroit?

Last edited by noimidwife; 06-05-2009 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:15 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Medical and bullet extraction?

Old 06-06-2009, 08:21 AM

186 posts, read 587,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noimidwife View Post
We know that there are so many Detroiters that have been devastated by job losses because they had jobs directly or closely related to the auto industry. Considering the instability in the car industry, housing market, and financial market, what is the next largest industry and/or employer in Detroit?
I think it's either the steel industry or city services. I'm waiting to see when are we supposed to get these green jobs. Also if the state improves taxes to attract more of he film industry here, that could also become a growing industry.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 AM

I believe Great Lakes and a Galvanized plant on Miller road at the Rouge plant are the only steel plants left in/around Detroit? Both of which are FOREIGN owned?

I thought Cyclops and Castle Steel were closed?
There was a Castle Steel in Woodhaven, but I was told it was a processing / warehouse facility?

McLouth had the stainless division on Livernois that was sold to J & L in 1982(?), but has since closed.

McLouth's other plants in Trenton and Gibraltar (south of Detroit) are also closed.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:46 AM

866 posts, read 4,256,496 times
Medical is a big one, the DMC, Henry Ford, and Wayne State.

Also, like others have mentioned, the City of Detroit itself, services, etc.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:38 PM

186 posts, read 587,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I believe Great Lakes and a Galvanized plant on Miller road at the Rouge plant are the only steel plants left in/around Detroit? Both of which are FOREIGN owned?

I thought Cyclops and Castle Steel were closed?
There was a Castle Steel in Woodhaven, but I was told it was a processing / warehouse facility?

McLouth had the stainless division on Livernois that was sold to J & L in 1982(?), but has since closed.

McLouth's other plants in Trenton and Gibraltar (south of Detroit) are also closed.
Doesn't Bing have a steel plant in detroit?

Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 PM

He does something steel related..not sure if its made there or if he has those box anneals that reheat the steel to roll it? Thought it might be like a stamping type plant? They operate a few slitters and presses I believe....but it is STEEL...

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

http://www.binggroup.com/AboutUs/tabid/55/Default.aspx

When I think of Steel manufacturing I think of blast furnaces and hot mills for rolling the steel into coils...

Old 06-08-2009, 01:20 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Medical research and treatment as well as support.

Education (colleges and universities).

Tourism (especially hunting).

I think that tourism is actually the next biggest after cars.

Michigan is also known for agriculture (especially apples and cherries); dog sleds; furniture. However none of these are huge industries.

Green power and entertainment (movies) are supposed ot be up and comming businesses here, but I see more growth in medical reseearch and education than in those areas.

One big advantage that S.E> Michigan has is that there are dozens of small machine and coating shops. It is said that if something can be done with a piece of metal, you can find a place to do it in the metro Detroit area. That is a huge advantage that they are not promoting or marketing. There are a lot non-automotive of businesses who need things done with metal. We shold be able to attract those buseinsses but cannot. Not sure why. Some people say unions; others say taxes; others say government/regulation; still others say the weather is the culprit.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:05 PM

54 posts, read 141,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Tourism (especially hunting).

I think that tourism is actually the next biggest after cars.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the tourism thing is a little overblown in the sense that it's generally people from the southern LP going to the northern LP and the UP. In other words, it's not generating new money, just recycling existing money throughout the State.

Like I said, I could be wrong. I'm not an economist. Just a thought/observation.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:13 PM

54 posts, read 141,990 times
From the State of Michigan's History, Arts & Libraries website:

Quote:

The three largest income-producing industries in Michigan are manufacturing, tourism and agriculture. The total workers in the Michigan labor force number 5,686,180 (State Profile, 2005).

Manufacturing
Michigan leads the nation in automobile manufacturing and is the home of the Big Three automakers: General Motors Corp., DaimlerChrysler AG and Ford Motor Company. Michigan also manufactures a wide variety of other products. These include non-electric machinery, furniture and appliances, cereal, baby food, chemicals, pharmaceuticals and lumber. The number of workers in manufacturing jobs totals 885,040 (State Profile, 2005).

Tourism
The tourist business is one of Michigan's largest income producers. Travelers to and in Michigan spent about $17.5 billion in 2004, generating $971 million in state and local taxes and accounting for 193,000 jobs statewide (Travel Michigan). At one time, tourism was primarily a summer season activity, along with several weeks of bird and deer hunting in the fall. Winter brings skiing, skating, ice fishing, small game hunting and snowmobiling. Spring still means trout and bass fishing, and getting the boat ready for summer and its traditional sports.

Sightseeing at both historic and natural landmarks continues to increase. Among the best known tourist attractions are:

Agriculture
In spite of urban expansion into farm acres, the state still has about 52,800 farms with a total of 10 million acres (Michigan Agricultural Statistics 2006-2007). The state ranks first nationally in the production of:

• Three types of dry beans: black, cranberry, and small red.
  • Blueberries.
  • Tart cherries.
  • Pickling cucumbers.
  • Flowering hanging baskets, impatiens and geraniums.
In addition to beans and wheat, principal field crops are oats, hay, corn, rye, potatoes, soybeans and sugarbeets. The state is a major producer of apples, plums, grapes, carrots, sweet cherries, fresh-market and processing vegetables, and it long has been a major supplier of spearmint.

Michigan ranked 8th nationally in milk production in 2004, with 3.7 percent of U.S. production. This was Michigan's highest-ranking agricultural commodity in cash receipts for the year, at $1.03 billion.

Livestock in Michigan in 2005 totaled 1 million cattle, 83,000 sheep and lambs, and 960,000 swine. In 2005, the state's sheep yielded 480,000 pounds of wool. In 2004, the value of poultry production from eggs, turkeys and other chickens was $164 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit