Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You notice the bad taste and smell of Detroit water?
Yes - It's just like you said... horrible now! 2 22.22%
Yes , but it's not nearly as bad as in other US citys! 2 22.22%
No - but sometimes a slight odor/taste of chlorine in it 2 22.22%
No - Detroit water still tastes good to me! 3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2009, 03:34 AM

3 posts, read 19,031 times

Advertisements

I live in the Downriver area of Detroit, MI. The water started tasting and smelling bad about May 2009. It goes off and on about every other week being this way. I have traveled around the area in a radius of about 10 miles, and when it tastes bad, it tastes bad EVERYWHERE! My theory is that after decades of unregulated poluting and dumping,we are now paying the price in this once beautiful city of ours. It's NOT just Detroit; this problem is beginning to be widespread across the USA. Of course, we do NOT deserve this fate. Our Leaders and politicians care NOTHING about us. Now Cancer rates, which were in a slight decline will skyrocket. This will continue until our water quality is the same as that in Europe; namely, do NOT drink one drop of it! It is a sign of the times that bottled water and under-sink water filtration devices are so popular now. Already, the price of a pint of bottled water is equal to or greater than the price of soda and beer in convience stores! I myself have sent 2 emails: (1) To the EPA Tap Water Quality 'Expert' in the Michigan Area. (2) To the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department. Neither email was acknowledged, and I suspect ignored. They probably receive hundreds of such emails each week. So what to do? The only thing that I can think of that might possibly be effective would be a petition drive at the State and Federal Level. It MUST be brought to the serious attention of our Leaders that we as citizens are concerned about this problem. Ignoring this problem will NOT make it 'Go Away'. Only now are many of us actually experiencing it first hand.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 04:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
All I have noticed is sometimes it has more Chlorine in it. Someitmes it is reallyvloaded with chloriine. We use abrtta filter it takes the chlorine taste and smell away.

Detroit City water comes from the Detroit river. The Detroit river is currently far cleaner than it was 20 years ago. That is why it is now green (its natural color) rather than the grey/brown that it was for about 60-70 years.

If you have even been to the water plants, the system is pretty much automated. However if the system is subject to human error, it is most probably happening. Some of the people who work there are complete dolts, but they are protected by union rules and cannot be fired

Old 09-15-2009, 12:33 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,225 times
Sorry but it tastes fine like it always has to me.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
HIstorically Detroit water was the cleanest of any major municipality. I do not know wehther that is still true, but it was reported that way three or four years ago.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 19,031 times
I am starting to re-think my feelings on this matter. Just took a drink today and all is fine. Sometimes it is almost as good as bottled water! I have begun buying Bulk Gallons at Meyers for $0.29 - Gal. I get 8 Gal for $2.32 and it lasts all month. It's filtered through a Culligan machine they have onsite. I guess I should get an under-sink unit one of these days. I use it mostly for Coffee and Ice and Dasani for drinking. Here is a link to Water Quality ratings, but it is based on either 2005 or 2008 data, and as far as I know, this is a fairly recent problem. Tap Water Quality - 2008 US Cities Sustainability Ranking by SustainLane.com At the time of the Survey Data, Detroit ranked 37th, while Dallas was 14th and San Jose was 9th, which is a LOT different than currently. I remember while growing up in the Redford area, they said Detroit was rated at #1 in the Nation for Water Quality. We slipped just a tad, I guess. Also see the Thread Links at the bottom of this page. I feel sorry for the people of W. Plano, TX ... they have a real problem down there that thankfully we wont be even close to for a long time still! I have only noticed this current problem since May 2009. So I finally got around to voting in my own Survey... My vote reflects a more practical view. I will continue to monitor the H2O here, and Post Alerts on bad days. So I guess we are safe for now.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 AM

50 posts, read 173,904 times
Could be your plumbing.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 AM

355 posts, read 1,230,459 times
No, it is not the plumbing.....I'm a conspiracry nut, so without going too much on the deep end, of course Detroit water will be polluted the most (most tap water is polluted with flouride, lead, bacteria, chlorine..chlorine kills the good bacteria in your body) Even that so called spring water you drink is polluted unless the bottle says, "filtered" or "distilled" you are drinking tap. Aquafina is way better. I suggest you also get a filter for you shower head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: