Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 06:00 AM

364 posts, read 877,803 times

Advertisements

Despite flaws, many love life in metro Detroit, survey says | freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20100421/NEWS01/4210362/1001/rss01 - broken link)

Despite flaws, many love life in metro Detroit, survey says

BY NAOMI R. PATTON
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

At least 91% of residents in southeast Michigan think Detroit is perceived negatively or extremely negatively by the news media, but at least 48% say they love living in metro Detroit despite the city's flaws.

The results came from a survey conducted from January to February by the Detroit Regional News Hub and Clarkston-based Intellitrends of 829 residents from nine counties in southeast Michigan, and 1,201 people across the U.S.
Marjorie Sorge, Detroit Regional News Hub executive director, said the goal of the perception survey was to find out what people inside and outside of Michigan think of Detroit, and how to best tell the city's story to news media, nationwide "to try to get balanced stories out there."

Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection

Last edited by Yac; 04-22-2010 at 01:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 01:21 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
A certain percentage of those in prison report they are happy with the conditions. Of course a good survey would find considerable crossover between say Detroit and having been in prison so perhaps a good comparison may be made.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:20 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
A certain percentage of those in prison report they are happy with the conditions. Of course a good survey would find considerable crossover between say Detroit and having been in prison so perhaps a good comparison may be made.

That is like creating a survey to ask those in Detroit if they will be leaving...95% would say NO.

Because everyone who can / could has left.

And then proclaiming the majority of Detroit residents (>170K ?) are happy with the city.

BTW, 48% of folks is not MANY...

but at least 48% say they love living in metro Detroit despite the city's flaws.

Mathematically, that leaves at least 52% who do not love living in Metro Detroit despite the city's flaws.

Survey also found:

Six in 10 non-Michigan residents think Detroit and southeast Michigan is a poor place to live;

one in two think it's a poor place to invest in,

and one in three think the region is a poor place to do business.

PERCEPTION is everything.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 04-24-2010 at 07:32 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 08:00 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,683 times
I think the people just don't know any better. I lived in metro Detroit for 41 years, then recently moved to NC and will NEVER go back!

I just can't stand the winters, roads, and high taxes. Just bought a house in SC right across the border from Charlotte and my home taxes will be 1/3 of what my MI house was. Homeowners insurance is 40% less, and my auto insurance is 50% less.

I do have to pay over $3 for a gallon of milk though
But our strawberries are now in season!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: