Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:55 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
:rolleyes :

Is it too late to find somewhere else?

Detroit needs all the people it can get. Advising the OP not to move into Detroit is not helping the city. In order for the city to progress, it will need new people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 01:22 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
Detroit is wonderful. Yeah, there are bad parts, but just yesterday I went down to Mexicantown for dinner, hung out with friends and soon-to-be-family scoping out homes (moving to the area soon, maybe even the city itself, I really love the Villages) and the likes.

I've gotta say, I had a good time. I didn't feel the least bit unsafe either.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,133 times
Default safety..........

My wife, daughter and I just purchased a home in the Boston - Edison District. Granted the streets a few blocks over are full of run down nasty homes, but Bing is going to be ripping down a majority of them. For those of you that say that wide open spaces breed crime......right........cuz you always see people trying to steal overgrown grass. In the beginning you may see some stragglers running around but eventually it will be like driving through old town monroe, lots of green open space with some majestic historical homes. We do not feel the least bit unsafe and we are the average middle class white family who wanted to live in a rich looking house and we got it. Granted I will never send my daughter to Detroit public schools, and our house had been robbed of its mechanicals by the foreclosed former residents, but all in all it is a good neighborhood, we have a private security force which i am sure helps considerably. All in all most people just give Detroit a bad name based on stats that relate highly to the drug trade. If you keep your nose clean, literally and figuratively you should be fine. I grew up in Detroit, yeah there are some bad areas and bad people, but everywhere has that. We just moved back to Detroit from Tucson. You want to talk about not feeling safe. Try living somewhere that the language barrier is so huge that people get shot just for not knowing what the hell the other person was saying! Watch illegal immigrants run through your yard to get water from your spigots. I also think me having a CCW helps my overall safety feeling. Having a .45 on your side definitely helps that. Other than that. you people telling everyone who is considering moving here is doing nothing but hurting the city further. Hope you are proud of yourselves.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:37 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
I can attest that many areas of Detroit are very safe. The worst thing that's ever happened to me was in a town of about 400 people, while I've never had any criminal activity aimed at me in Detroit. I watch out for myself and use common sense. If you do so and live in the city itself, you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,599 times
Detroit is the place to be, They are robbing, killing and stealing in troy,l birmingham and all the suburbs. Just come on down an see about detroit. It is the place to be. Nice People, Lots of stuff to do. And we have the best water in the state.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:52 PM

72 posts, read 150,537 times
If you've got boys, the best school in the city, bar none, is U of D Jesuit.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:56 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
* The crime is in certain neighborhoods. Downtown is economically dependent on business and conventions with some tourism and festivals, so the area is better protected out of necessity imo.
* I would consider a suburb with good S.M.A.R.T. bus connections to downtown (Livonia for instance has none).
I used to wander the downtown area near Greektown/RenCen alone and at night, even during the Young administration (probably the worst time for this). I did meet up with an occasional panhandler "ambush" but they weren't dangerous to me. I just paid attention to my surroundings and looked ahead. It helped to "follow" other people but they probably didn't appreciate me...

Last edited by detwahDJ; 07-08-2011 at 05:07 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 09:58 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Belle Grande View Post
If you've got boys, the best school in the city, bar none, is U of D Jesuit.
UD Jesuit is one of the best schools in the state. The connections one makes at that school are absurd. I have many friends who are alums from that school, primarily from Grosse Pointe, and they are all well-connected. Going to UD Jesuit can be your ticket. I'm talking big industry people, real estate, finance, law, politics, and everything in between. It's the old boys club of Detroit and it feeds right into membership at the Detroit Athletic Club. "Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar. You're gonna go far, you're gonna fly high. You're never gonna die. You're going to make it if you try. They're gonna love you." That's UD Jesuit.

Last edited by ForStarters; 07-08-2011 at 10:06 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 10:53 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsugar17 View Post
Detroit is the place to be, They are robbing, killing and stealing in troy,l birmingham and all the suburbs. Just come on down an see about detroit. It is the place to be. Nice People, Lots of stuff to do. And we have the best water in the state.

I do remember growing up in Detroit's East Side the water really tasted good, others commented on it, guess it still comes from the same source, I think its underground wells. At least you won't have to budget for bottled water!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I do remember growing up in Detroit's East Side the water really tasted good, others commented on it, guess it still comes from the same source, I think its underground wells. At least you won't have to budget for bottled water!
The Mexican restaurants in SW have good water, too. Wife said once the water was the best thing about living in Detroit. Mine in Harrison Township occasionally comes out the tap in a designer color. I drink it straight from the tap maybe once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit