Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input, MICoastieMom!

I arrive next Friday and will stay thru Sunday. I will definitely research the Rouge tour since I was told by a former Michigander or Michiganian(?) who lives here now, that's not to be missed.

The pitstop in Toledo might just be what I need. Believe it or not, there are no true Hungarian restaurants (or Polish, for that matter) where I live. Not since my last visit to Budapest, have I had real Hungarian food and I love paprika!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 04:37 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,683 times
Tony Pacos is great for kolbaz sandwiches, but for truely great chicken paprikas and uborka salat (cucumber salad) you have to go to the Rhaposdy. And then swing by my house for hideg meggleves (cold sour cherry soup). I've been told by my Hungarian friends that it is as good as what is served in Budapest. Not bad for an Irish girl, eh!?!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:16 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times
Please visit Belle Isle, a large island park in the Detroit River. It is Detroit's signature park, and it would be interesting how you would compare it to Balboa Park.

If you want to see ruins, don't forget the Detroit Train Station, the Packard Motors complex, and the Lee Plaza hotel on West Grand Boulevard.

If you are interested in large old mansions, please check out Indian Village, Palmer Woods, and Boston-Edison/East Boston-Arden Park.

If you are interested in seeing jaw-dropping architecture, please walk inside the Fisher Building, a 28-story building plopped in what was a mostly residential area.

The inner ring suburb of Dearborn has a significant Arab/Middle Eastern population. Dearborn's Warren Avenue corridor is loaded with Middle Eastern restaraunts and bakeries, and the nations' only Arab-American Museum is located on Michigan Avenue in the city's east downtown district.

I would suggest going to downtown Birmingham, in addition to Royal Oak and Hamtramck. Pontiac, an older city where the Detroit Lions played until 2001, has the largest downtown of all the suburbs.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Please visit Belle Isle, a large island park in the Detroit River. It is Detroit's signature park, and it would be interesting how you would compare it to Balboa Park.

If you want to see ruins, don't forget the Detroit Train Station, the Packard Motors complex, and the Lee Plaza hotel on West Grand Boulevard.

If you are interested in large old mansions, please check out Indian Village, Palmer Woods, and Boston-Edison/East Boston-Arden Park.

If you are interested in seeing jaw-dropping architecture, please walk inside the Fisher Building, a 28-story building plopped in what was a mostly residential area.

The inner ring suburb of Dearborn has a significant Arab/Middle Eastern population. Dearborn's Warren Avenue corridor is loaded with Middle Eastern restaraunts and bakeries, and the nations' only Arab-American Museum is located on Michigan Avenue in the city's east downtown district.

I would suggest going to downtown Birmingham, in addition to Royal Oak and Hamtramck. Pontiac, an older city where the Detroit Lions played until 2001, has the largest downtown of all the suburbs.
Thanks so much for the ruins suggestions! I had no idea about what relics were worth visiting and still standing.

I just printed this entire thread out and have highlighted in yellow everything I'm going to see and do. Definitely enough to keep me busy for the 3 days that I'm there - I arrive on Friday!

Thanks to all who responded!!

Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
I went to Tony Packo's last night. It was worth the 85 mile drive. Their take on a chili dog puts a Detroit coney dog to shame.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:29 PM

Just wanted to give a quick trip report of my visit to Detroit.

First off, I must start out by saying that I'm a big fan! I did see first-hand how the city gets it's bad reputation, but at the same time, there are just as many nice areas to explore. One day, I drove on Woodward Ave all the way from Downtown up to Bloomfield Hills, making stops along the way. That day, I'm sure I saw the absolute best and worst of the area.

Unfortunately, I thought driving in/around the area south of 8 Mile Road at night was a good idea - wrong. Yikes, a whole other element comes out at night. I gotta admit, there was times when I said to myself "I hope this rental car doesn't break down now". I had never seen such blight and decay. So sad, since you can tell that at one time these were once beautiful tree-lined neighborhoods. That abandoned train station building of Michigan Ave is amazing.

The good stuff? I really liked Royal Oak. I was there on a Saturday aftrernoon and the area was full of people. I couldn't figure out Hamtramck, is it bad and getting better or vice versa? I just drove thru the area since there didn't seem to be much to see. Henry Ford museum was great, but really enjoyed the Ford Rouge tour. Fascinating to watch a truck being built before your eyes.

I loved, loved Eastern Market - so cool. I felt like a Detroiter there, and even got into a shouting match with a lady who tried to steal my parking space (of course I won, since the day before I had driven throughout Highland Park so I learned how to be tough quick......lol) Grabbed some food and walked around. I felt like the only tourist there, and it was great.

Went to Comerica Park to watch a Tigers game and ate my first Coney here (love the Old English "D" even more), which was fun. Rode the monorail around downtown, walked thru Greektown and took in the view of downtown from Belle Isle Park. The Motown Museum was another highlight of my trip. The girl giving the tour was great.

For my last meal in Detroit, I headed to Slow's, where many of you suggested. Good call. I bellied up the the bar and ordered a beef brisket sandwich, waffle fries/w cheese and side of mac 'n cheese.....I was in heaven.

To Coastiemom and us66h - I did eat at Tony Packo's in Toledo on my way to Cleveland, and it didn't disappoint.

Just some observations:

- I knew I was in Michigan since I saw so few import cars. It was like 80%domestic/20% foreign. Where I live it seems to be the opposite. Even in the nicest neighborhoods, I saw few Benzes, Beemers, Jags, Porsches, etc.

- I couldn't get over how areas changed by the block. For instance, leaving Detroit and entering Gross Pointe Park was amazing. It was like entering another country, complete with guards watching the who comes in - crazy.

- Service in many places had no sense of urgency. There'd be a big line at the store and the person at the register could give a crap. Not even a hello, goodbye or thank you.

Anyways, the next time anyone wants to bag on Detroit, I'll just ask them if they've ever been there, and if they haven't, then the conversation is over. I'm sure you all know it, but Detroit is really cool in it's own way.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:26 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
Glad you've actually come and had fun! Even though it's not pretty, it's the people I love. Never in my life have I felt more comfortable with complete strangers. I don't have a problem talking to a person in the "ghetto". As long as you don't show fear or stereotype the place, 99% of the people of Detroit will show you great kindness.

The entire metro has a certain soul you just can't find away from the lakes!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:44 PM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I couldn't figure out Hamtramck, is it bad and getting better or vice versa?
I'd say it's plateaued recently. It used to be getting bad fast, but, it's evening out.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:34 PM

214 posts, read 673,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Thanks for the input, MICoastieMom!

I arrive next Friday and will stay thru Sunday. I will definitely research the Rouge tour since I was told by a former Michigander or Michiganian(?) who lives here now, that's not to be missed.

The pitstop in Toledo might just be what I need. Believe it or not, there are no true Hungarian restaurants (or Polish, for that matter) where I live. Not since my last visit to Budapest, have I had real Hungarian food and I love paprika!
I can second the Tony Paco's recommendation. My family is Hungarian, and admittedly I haven't eaten at the original (only the one on 23, because I drive south from Lansing), but this is the place where I had chicken paprikas that inspired me to actually learn how to make spaetzel and the dish from scratch.

And no, their chili dogs do not make Detroit Coney's cry. They're very similar. In fact, at my local East Lansing Kroger, I can buy Tony Paco's hot dog chili (and I do), but go there for the authentic Hungarian food, because it IS authentic (and delicious).

Sorry, I just noticed that the OP had already made his trip.

But for anyone else looking, TP is definitely delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit