Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:39 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times

Advertisements

Went to the gym yesterday and weighed myself:

(just another 25 pounds to go and I'll reach my goal!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Went to the gym yesterday and weighed myself:

(just another 25 pounds to go and I'll reach my goal!)

Old 02-26-2011, 01:52 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Food is a necessity. A lot of food is not a necessity. I am dead set against surgery to correct my eating. For some, there is probably no other choice. But what you are eating now, is what you should have been eating, without surgery.

I determined that I needed to loose weight. So I did. I cut my meals in half (I was on travel so had to eat in restaurants). I've dropped over 250 pounds. I didn't need surgery to do that. I just needed healthy eating and healthy habbits.

I'm kind of a different diabetic. I had gall bladder stones so long that I had gangriend. I lost 60% of my colon, 60% of my large intestine, and 40% of my small. At the same time, it damaged my pancreas. So I'm stuck.

Although surgery is an option, I caution people that don't need it. If you have the will to eat properly, you don't need surgery to accomplish that. If you have no will power, then I guess you can let a doctor in.

250 pounds and still dropping.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Once a person reaches the morbid obestiy stage and stays there, their bodies change how they handle food. It becomes practically impossible to lose weight - you are one of the lucky few! One result of the gastric bypass is that the first 3 feet of the intestines are removed. This is where a lot of hormones that affect taste and glucose are produced. It changes your body back to being more efficient. The side effects of the small stomach gives you a year to re-learn how to eat. About 20% of the patients will re-gain all or most of the lost weight b/c they do not learn the lesson.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:09 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
That's interesting. I'm not saying that it's not for everybody, just not for me.

I have a friend that had it and it really has done her well. She finally "Got it" and is doing so much better today. She is not diabetic, but she was seriously over weight. Today she's about 110 lbs and doing well.

I went from a very fast paced life to setting at a desk for 14 hours a day. I used to averal 106 hours a week at work. Pay was nice but I was killing myself. I got huge. So I finally determined that I wasn't going to continue that way and I started loosing weight.

I'm just not sure about the surgery. If a person can do it without invasive surgery, they should. There are so many things that can go wrong with surgery. Some folks don't have any problems and I commend them for doing it. If they can have the surgery and be able to continue it, more power to them. But like mentioned, the surgery is only a temporary fix if you don't persue it on your own.

No surgery for me, I'm still loosing weight. My goal, 180 lbs.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I also went from 7 insulin shots/day to 2 pills per day. Thanks to losing that 3 ft. of intestines.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:50 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
It is definitely a personal choice, that's for sure. I still recommend it to anyone, though. It took me out of the equation and I was the biggest problem.

BTW, still trying to "turn it off". I am now 187 pounds and any time I run, I keep losing weight. If I don't exercise at all, that's when the weight stabilizes.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Once a person reaches the morbid obestiy stage and stays there, their bodies change how they handle food. It becomes practically impossible to lose weight - you are one of the lucky few! One result of the gastric bypass is that the first 3 feet of the intestines are removed. This is where a lot of hormones that affect taste and glucose are produced. It changes your body back to being more efficient. The side effects of the small stomach gives you a year to re-learn how to eat. About 20% of the patients will re-gain all or most of the lost weight b/c they do not learn the lesson.
You are right! Actually I heard the percentage was even higher than that!

I am determined to never eat my way back to obesity again. Never.

I am overcome with joy because of the disappearance of my Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, and obstructive sleep apnea ... I look better and feel terrific, clothes fit better and I can wear attractive stylish clothes ...
my confidence and self esteem is much improved and I'm dating again!

No way I'm going back!!!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:45 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Me neither! I went as far as having the words "never again" tattooed on my stomach..

and I've lost 9 pounds since February 28th (according to my post above). Guess I'm doing a pretty good job at turning it off. Only down side is I can only run about twice per week.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 PM

Default An Update

My 6 month anniversary of my bariatric surgery has come and gone this week.

The results:

weight 144, down from 215

waist size 32", down from 40"

neck size 16:, down from 18 and 1/2"

------

My diabetes is in total remission and have been OFF all diabetes medications, including insulin, for the past 3 or 4 months;

Blood pressure has been consistently good;

No more Obstructive Sleep Apnea;

Signs of stiffness and arthritis are gone.

------

I have my good health back again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes