Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:51 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times

Advertisements

My doc says raw foods are best. Also, we all should eat like diabetics & keep weight down & carbs low w/ living sprouted food. I try this but it is costly & hard. Can someone let me know how you do these correctly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
My doc says raw foods are best. Also, we all should eat like diabetics & keep weight down & carbs low w/ living sprouted food. I try this but it is costly & hard. Can someone let me know how you do these correctly?
Raw meats or veggies and fruits?

I'm on a very low carb diet (hopefully it will become a life style).

I'm allergic to most raw fruits and veggies, so I eat them all cooked.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:25 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times
Quote:
What your doctor is saying is.......Either eat right and exercise now or have health problems later so you can pay me to treat you.

If I were you I'd stop complaining and learn a new way to eat & play.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
What your doctor is saying is.......Either eat right and exercise now or have health problems later so you can pay me to treat you.

If I were you I'd stop complaining and learn a new way to eat & play.
My cousin just lost his leg because he didn't follow that advice.

He's the guru of raw diet for diabetes: HOME - BLOG POSTS BY GABRIEL COUSENS M.D.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,157 times
I think it would be wise to follow the diet as if you had diabetes. I really think more people out there (especially if you have any increased risks that could lead to Diabetes) need to be checking their blood sugars, seeing how their body reacts after certain foods, etc. so that you can catch diabetes before you actually have it. If you are dedicated enough, you can get the costs of any diet plan down. There are tons of resources out there to alert you to sales, plan menus and shopping lists that aren't as wasteful. It is amazing all the resources I found just from doing a google search.

It can't hurt to be proactive rather than reactive.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
A complete raw food diet is difficult for most people, it seems like a fairly extreme request from a Dr. Is there a reason other than that specific Dr.'s beliefs that he wants you on a raw food diet, rather than a diet that is easier to follow?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
I agree, this is extreme. Including as many fruits and vegetables in your diet as you can is a great thing to do for your health, and maybe raw is the best but cooked is very good and frozen vegetables can be even fresher than fresh vegetables. That cuts down the cost someThe suggestion that we all eat like diabetics is a good one. I'm sure your library would have several books on nutrition for diabetics.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:01 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
I think eating more foods that do not have to be cooked as apposed to raw might be just as healthy. Diabetics need a diet that high in nutrition but low in calories. Like oat meal, peanut butter,and whole grains. Our metabolism is like a camp fire that has to keep burning fuel constantly. if you put saw dust on that fire (processed food) it will flare up real fast a die down again. If you put a log on the fire (whole Foods) it will burn slowly and constantly.

There is relatively a small number of vegetables that have to be cooked. Cook them and eat them along with the many that don't need to be cooked. Meat is good source of protein, iron, and vitamin B, but it comes with fat and cholesterol. I would use more fish, lean cuts of poultry( turkey or chicken breast) and complete proteins made by combing whole grains with complex carbohydrates ( peanut butter on whole wheat bread or beans and rice)

Old 03-26-2011, 05:10 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
I don't know who your doctor is but he is uncharacteristically wise. Keep him and treasure him.

Making the adjustment to raw is not easy. You need to do it slowly or you will get discouraged and give up. Every week add a little more raw and remove a little more cooked. I would not expect to make the total transition in less than 6 - 9 months -maybe even a year.

Google Victoria Boutenko, Gabriel Cousens, Paul Nison (don't be put off by his religious point of view), the Hallelujah Diet, Markus Rothkranz. These are just a few people who espouse the raw food diet.

As with anything, if you are truly motivated to make the change and establish a healthy eating lifestyle, you can do it. Believe me you will be happy one day that you did.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-26-2011, 05:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
its like a big joke. the real reason a raw food diet would "work" has nothing to do with the nutrition of the fruits and veggies. it has to do with the fact that veggies have almost no calories. i guess id say cut the calories the in a way that you will actually be able to continue indefinitely. if thats eating tons of veggies and fruits then go for it. if thats setting strict rules with your meals then thats good also. i used to have some simple rules that id recommend to people who want to diet. lets see if i can remember them:

no fried foods, no cream sauces, no dessert
3 meals a day, no snacks
eat until full then stop, do not overfill yourself

that should be enough for most people to make some progress. you can modify as you like. maybe no beverage other than water or you can allow yourself some kind of snack or dessert. but you must create rules and stick to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes