Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 03:52 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times

Advertisements

If someone is diagnosed with "Pre-Diabetes", is that the same or similar to "Type 2 Diabetes"~? I think "Type 2" is when you get older and get it, but don't you have to be "Pre-Diabetic" before~? Also, if your diagnosed with "Pre-Diabetes" isn't that really "Diabetes"~? What I am trying to say here, is it is like saying your "Diabetic" whether your "Pre-Diabeties" or not. Is that correct~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:04 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,039,173 times
A1c test . . results

Old 08-11-2013, 02:18 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
If someone is diagnosed with "Pre-Diabetes", is that the same or similar to "Type 2 Diabetes"~? I think "Type 2" is when you get older and get it, but don't you have to be "Pre-Diabetic" before~? Also, if your diagnosed with "Pre-Diabetes" isn't that really "Diabetes"~? What I am trying to say here, is it is like saying your "Diabetic" whether your "Pre-Diabeties" or not. Is that correct~?
It means that your FASTING blood sugar measurement is such that if you do not make dietary, activity, lifestyle changes, you are at risk for developing Type II Diabetes. So fill your plate with colorful vegetables, chicken and non-fatty fish, park at the far end of the parking lot, take the steps, drink water, eat fruit rather than drink the juice, get a good sleep. It really can be that easy.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:34 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
It means that your FASTING blood sugar measurement is such that if you do not make dietary, activity, lifestyle changes, you are at risk for developing Type II Diabetes. So fill your plate with colorful vegetables, chicken and non-fatty fish, park at the far end of the parking lot, take the steps, drink water, eat fruit rather than drink the juice, get a good sleep. It really can be that easy.

I do eat my vegetables and drink water, but not chicken. I'm vegetarian and eat dairy, eggs and fish. Eating a veggie pasta I made as I type this....and has cheese in it. I eat too much bread tho...but not eating it with this....yet

Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
There is a person in my office who was told he was 'pre-diabetic' last year (he is in 30s). He talked to me about it since I have insulin-dependent diabetes.

Anyway, I was impressed how he took charge of his heath: he lost 30 pounds (with about 10 more to go), started working out, and started watching the carbs (my main contribution; his doctor told him to 'watch your sugar'; I told him about carbs). His blood sugar improved greatly (A1c down to normal). No more 'pre-diabetes'. Since he and his wife had a child two years ago, he was highly motivated.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
ONe thing you don't hear much about but I think it's true is that if you're pre-diabetic, you can dip over into full diabetes occasionally and then get back to pre again. I know one thing--if you're pre, that's your wake-up call and you still have time to turn things around.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
ONe thing you don't hear much about but I think it's true is that if you're pre-diabetic, you can dip over into full diabetes occasionally and then get back to pre again. I know one thing--if you're pre, that's your wake-up call and you still have time to turn things around.
You are correct, it is your wake-up call. Too many people ignore it thinking that it's not a problem. It very much is a problem. Your doctor should smack you in the back of the head and make you understand that you can possibly slip into a spiral that will cause you to loose your sight, a limb here or there, and your life. it is a very serious wake up call.

To the op:
Being pre diabetic means that with your current life style, if you continue and do not correct it, you are headed for a complete lifestyle change that you will not like. Being insulin dependent is a real pain. Blood sugar swings, foods you can no longer touch. If you had headed the doctors warnings, those foods could still be on your plate, just in lesser quantities, along side of healthier foods. Simply adding just a few minutes a day of exercise can make a world of difference. My blood sugar has been running slightly high for the last week, but I injured my knee and haven't been able to do much. It's been running about 130-140 range. Today, my knee felt pretty good, so I just walked around the place (3 acres) and picked up some branches the wind knocked down. Not many, maybe two armloads and maybe an hour of just walking around. At noon my blood sugar was 75. All week, my noon reading has been around 130. So it doesn't take much exercise to make a large difference. Just like it doesn't take much of a dietary change to make a large difference.

If you are pre diabetic, make the changes now while they are still minor changes.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:16 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
OP, this is a situation where you must be pro-active about your health to avoid taking a "pre" situation into a real problem.

In addition to the advice above re exercise and weight,

you may want to do some online research about an appropriate diet.

What I've been reading lately leads in the direction of low carb, modest protein, and using only certain fats (such as avocado and olive oil) but having enough fats in your diet to balance things out. Recent studies have lead in the direction that 200+ total cholesterol levels may not be as harmful as some doc's would have you believe (where they are placing you on statins) as a threshold of problems. You may want to completely cut out such indulgences as soft drinks and sweets.

As well, recent studies have supported older theories about available magnesium (at the cellular level, not just in the blood), potassium, garlic, and hawthorn. Hand in hand with the "pre" situation, many folk are found to be marginally hypothyroid and hypertensive ... a combination of problems that leads to big issues later on if you become diabetic.

Of course, each case is different, but you need to be aggressive in seeking the balance in your diet, weight, activity, and intake to reverse the progess of this. You may want to monitor your situation even more closely with a glucose meter (best if you're looking at slightly over 100 levels), or use Diastix (available over the counter from your pharmacy) to check your urine (not as accurate, but a good indicator to confirm below 100 if you're that marginally close). What you're looking for is to establish the correlation between diet/activity/intake that blows past the 100 mark so you can know what you're doing is messing up your balance. Especially worthwhile if you discover a correlation between a certain food intake and elevated levels. You may find out that certain foods you are eating, especially convenience or fast foods ... just blow you past a 100 reading in a matter of minutes and last for hours.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-23-2013 at 01:27 AM..

Old 09-26-2013, 12:02 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
In my opinion once you are diabetic, that diagnosis doesn't go away. Someone who gets the numbers down through diet and exercise would be considered having diabetes that is controlled. Put that person under any sort of stress(injury, infection) and they still will have the impaired ability of their body to have glucose levels stay in the normal range.

I think the only exception to this is gestational diabetes. Even so they are at higher risk of diabetes later.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:05 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
OP, this is a situation where you must be pro-active about your health to avoid taking a "pre" situation into a real problem.

In addition to the advice above re exercise and weight,

you may want to do some online research about an appropriate diet.

Of course, each case is different, but you need to be aggressive in seeking the balance in your diet, weight, activity, and intake to reverse the progess of this. You may want to monitor your situation even more closely with a glucose meter (best if you're looking at slightly over 100 levels), or use Diastix (available over the counter from your pharmacy) to check your urine (not as accurate, but a good indicator to confirm below 100 if you're that marginally close). What you're looking for is to establish the correlation between diet/activity/intake that blows past the 100 mark so you can know what you're doing is messing up your balance. Especially worthwhile if you discover a correlation between a certain food intake and elevated levels. You may find out that certain foods you are eating, especially convenience or fast foods ... just blow you past a 100 reading in a matter of minutes and last for hours.
Can you explain what you mean by the numbers you are throwing out. A person can eat healthy foods and still have their blood sugar elevate past the 100 mark, and still not be considered diabetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes