Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 01:19 PM

83 posts, read 512,632 times

Advertisements

My mom had been boardline diabetic, had a medical crisis - uterine cancer, two major surgeries and then the next year broke her femur. Anyway, she manages the diabeties with some pills. And her numbers stay fine. She got a new doctor that now wants her to take some kidney meds and says she should have been taking them all along. When I ask her why she would need those meds, as in - what is wrong with kidney function - she doesn't have an answer other than the dr says she should take it.

I don't know much, but have never heard of having to take kidney meds unless kidney's were not functioning properly. She does not want me to attend her appointments with her other than to give her a ride. Little frustrating.

Can anyone give me an idea if this is normal sounding - for a diabetic who is managing fine on meds, to also need kidney meds?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 02:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,961,099 times
My docotr always runs kidney function when I have lab work done. My kidneys are OK and I don't take anything for them. You need to know if she had an abnormal lab result. Hypertension can also damage the kidneys, does she have it and is it under good control?

Old 08-11-2011, 03:16 PM

83 posts, read 512,632 times
Quote:
My docotr always runs kidney function when I have lab work done. My kidneys are OK and I don't take anything for them. You need to know if she had an abnormal lab result. Hypertension can also damage the kidneys, does she have it and is it under good control?
She said her labs are fine. No high bp. She just told me maybe it's preventive? Dunno.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:55 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,761,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123catlady View Post
She said her labs are fine. No high bp. She just told me maybe it's preventive? Dunno.
Have your mother get a copy of the lab results from the doctor's office, so you can both see for yourselves. And, educate yourselves with the numbers that are shown. Then ask the doctor about the meds. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:19 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,166,642 times
I was put on kidney meds. Bottle says, "To protect kidneys". Dr said it was because one of the other meds I take can cause kidneys to be weak.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:32 PM

96 posts, read 338,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Have your mother get a copy of the lab results from the doctor's office, so you can both see for yourselves. And, educate yourselves with the numbers that are shown. Then ask the doctor about the meds. Good luck.
I agree with this. Get the copy and learn what it all means. There's 5 advancing stages of kidney failure(with stage 1 being mild & few symptoms and stage 5 being the most severe) so it could just be that the doc saw something a little off and wants to play it on the safe side and start the meds. Good that the doc is checking the kidneys though. The best advice is what was given above. Educate yourself and talk with the doc. My husband has been on dialysis for 2 1/2 years now and it makes me feel better understanding what all the different numbers on the lab reports mean. Anything I don't understand, his kidney doc and the nurse manager there make sure to explain until I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes