Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,565,836 times

Advertisements

Background: I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 about 5 years ago. At the time of my diagnosis, I had a blood sugar reading over 400. I was experiencing excessive thirst and urination, and I was overweight. My doc immediately put me on Metformin, 1000 mg twice daily, and I drastically changed my diet. Within no time, my blood sugar readings came way down (in the 120 range), and those symptoms disappeared.
Fast-forward to the present: My average fasting blood sugar reading has been about 107 for the past several months. My most recent A1C was five-point-something, and my doc was very pleased. The problem? Over the past year or more, I've experienced various physical complications which are supposed to be attributed to Diabetes. Those complcations include burning sensations in the toes, frozen shoulder, and hearing loss in one ear (due to insufficient blood supply.) In each of these conditions, persons with Diabetes are said to be more prone to have these things than are non-Diabetics. But my Diabetes is under control. Is it normal for complications to continue, even when I'm properly managing the disease? What's going on??
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
It depends on how long you had the diabetes before being diagnosed. When I was diagnosed, my fasting glucose was 270. I went in because I was getting blurred vision. I soon realized that the other symptoms that I had were directly related to diabetes as well. I had these symptoms for several years before I was officially diagnosed.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:51 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,039,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Metformin, 1000 mg twice daily
Include in your research . . metformin b12 deficiency.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:07 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
Most of the damage diabetes does cannot be undone, unfortunately. That's why it's such an awful disease and one that should be taken very seriously. I don't think I'll ever have full feeling in my feet again and I know my pancreas is never going to be any better than it is right now. It's not like cancer or something you can physically remove from your body.. it destroys and nothing comes up behind it to clean up.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:38 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,565,836 times
So what I'm hearing is, before I was diagnosed, some of the damage was already done. And the damage has later on manifested itself as the various physical problems I have developed. But is it really true that the damage cannot be undone? Such as with vitamins and herbal supplements maybe?

Old 10-08-2011, 09:12 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
I know for a fact, or at least was told by a competent endocrinologist, that your pancreas cannot heal or "grow back". The damage we've done to it is permanent and we just have to accept that and try to take care of everything else as much as possible. I initially figured it was more like smoking; just quit and you immediately start getting "better". It was a serious wake-up call for sure..

Old 10-09-2011, 07:14 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Neuropathy in any form is a real B*tch.

When nerves are damaged, many times the healing is very slow and incomplete.......rarely will nerves return to their pre-damaged state.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,880 times
I have never heard of frozen shoulder and hearing loss being contributed to diabetes . I had frozen arm/shoulder which required physical therapy and eventually getting a shot in my shoulder (area) of Cortizone. I suspect you pulled a muscle and tore a ligiment. You need to get to a neurologist to be sure about that before you blame it on diabetes. Did you go to an otolaryngologist for a second opinion as what caused your to lose your hearing?

Vitamins and Herbal Supplements are good to take....If and only if you take in moderation, know what the side effects are, know what will/won't interact with your medications, other supplements, other vitamins. BTW I recommend one (B100-Complex) a day. I used to get that feeling like my socks were bunched up under my feet and my feet would hurt so bad I could hardly walk. The B 100-Complex has helped so much that I can now wear socks with my diabetic shoes and feel great.

Stay away from alcohol, table salt and try to give up the diet soda. I know the supposed professionals say it's ok to drink diet soda there's no Carbs/Sugar in it but that's bull it's not ok to have everyday. Drink plenty of water and make sure you have diabetic shoes ( high depth & wide width). Non binding socks will help and get a schedule together for when to walk to keep the numbers down and help prevent from stiffening. Soak your feet in cool water with a few drops of baby oil in it. Don't make the water cold just a little cool. I did this and it was amazing how fast my feet stopped burning like they were on fire.

I have been told by non professionals that losing weight cures the diabetes. They just don't get that it's not cured and not everyone gets off all the medications just because they lost weight and got their numbers down. We are and will always be Diabetic once we get it. It may be under control but it can't be cured nor can the damage, severed damage, it causes be reversed but it can, at least, be controlled. I say not the severe damage because I consider the complete change in eyesight as being reversed once, we are finally properly diagnosed, and given the proper diabetic medication. But that's about it. I would like to see these holistic Doctors/Books stop making the claims that getting the numbers down, losing weight equals a cure and no need for medications, ever. They put the lives of Diabetics at risk when they make these claims and worse get their followers to beioeve them. Years ago, God was a kid then, before diabetes became a household word, I read in some articles and heard on the news that Scientists, Doctors wondered what the pancreas was for, what did it do, they questioned. Well now we know, years too late but now we know.

I wish we had a cure for Type 1 and 2 but I know we never will. The Doctors would lose their patients which is a lot of money considering they have each patient every 3 months (4 times a year), I think they fear people would stop going to them altogether. Look at the kickback they get for putting the patients on more Medications. The pharmacists are making a fortune, Labs, Drug Companies, Nurses, Dieticians, Learing Facilities, and the Companies that make all those special products (clothing, medical) just for Diabetics.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:48 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
...BTW I recommend one (B100-Complex) a day. I used to get that feeling like my socks were bunched up under my feet and my feet would hurt so bad I could hardly walk. The B 100-Complex has helped so much that I can now wear socks with my diabetic shoes and feel great. ...

Would a super B vitamin be the same as B100? What part of B vitamin is the most helpful? thanks

Old 10-15-2011, 06:51 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Would a super B vitamin be the same as B100? What part of B vitamin is the most helpful? thanks

B1, B2, B6 and B12 are most important, IMHO. Super B is good but I prefer the B100, it depends on what's on the label and the brand. Normally I wouldn't worry too much about the brand but I notice not all brands have the same amount of % and don't have all the B's I need as a diabetic. I suggest the B100 complex because it's worked for me and has the B's I need not just a select amount the Company puts in, and I chose the time released, which I like. Give it time to work, ok, it takes at least a month to get into the system. Also if you are a female please make sure you are taking Calcium with Magneisum and Vitamin D.

Your 3 month blood checks for your A1c with your Endochronologist should show what vitamins your body is lacking. It's very important that you speak to your Endocronologist and have him/her write down all the vitamins you need and the amount per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes