Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:37 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,524,009 times

Advertisements

there blood type does not match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Hate to say it because some would find it cold but just because people are related doesn't mean they owe them. I have a family member who never took care of his body and now he's on dialysis. Not the nicest person in the world, either. I'd rather give a kidney to a stranger.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:43 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Hate to say it because some would find it cold but just because people are related doesn't mean they owe them. I have a family member who never took care of his body and now he's on dialysis. Not the nicest person in the world, either. I'd rather give a kidney to a stranger.
Hey that's not being cold by any means.If you have a relative that needs an organ or blood and you don't get along why should you give it to them?

Old 03-30-2012, 05:03 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Hey that's not being cold by any means.If you have a relative that needs an organ or blood and you don't get along why should you give it to them?
Thanks. Maybe internet friends are more forgiving for something like that. I wouldn't dare say it aloud to people, irl. Sometimes people think you're being cruel because it's "family." Pfffft!

Old 03-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Thanks. Maybe internet friends are more forgiving for something like that. I wouldn't dare say it aloud to people, irl. Sometimes people think you're being cruel because it's "family." Pfffft!
I wouldn't think it was terrible if I was your real friend either.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:55 AM

95 posts, read 282,140 times
Default Advices Needed on Diabetes Management

I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 about seven months ago. My family history of diabetes and my own weight could have contributed to it. I am still learning all I can about the disease plus I happen to have high cholesterol and high triglycerides.

I weigh around 308 lbs and my doctor said it would benefit me if I continue losing weight while taking diabetic medicines and some for both cholesterol and triglycerides with a possibility of it being reversed. Can diabetes really be reversed?

Is the normal range for blood sugar between 70 and 180 at all time where if it is any lower or higher, you can go into a coma?

I happen to have a big question. Although I have not gained or lose any weight, I noticed I'm getting more body fats in my upper half of my body. Sometime the fats would feel sore like water retentive or something. I know it sounds strange and three doctors I went all think it's nothing and that I just need to exercise more often. Are there any diabetic medicines known to cause weight gain?

I'm taking the following medicines: Metformin and Actos for diabetes, Pravastatin and Gemfibrozil for cholesterol and triglycerides, and Tramadol (for burning/tingling pain).

I would appreciate any advices, suggestions, or feedbacks you may have about my condition based on your life experiences of dealing with diabetes.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:57 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,749,349 times
You may be able to eliminate the meds you mentioned after weight loss. At a minimum, the meds could be reduced. If your body responds to weight loss, you can control your diabetes through diet and exercise. I don't believe diabetes is reversed, it's hanging back waiting for you to slip up to rear its ugly head!

180 is high. Your glucose should be no more than 140 two hours after you start a meal; 120 is better. Your morning fast should be less than 100. Pre-diabetes is 110 to 125.

You must check your glucose numbers at the right times to monitor how you are doing and to know what foods trigger your sugar.

Here are a couple of links for you to help you get healthy:
Blood Sugar 101
Diabetes Daily - A better life starts today.

Good luck and get healthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanianLA1 View Post
I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 about seven months ago. My family history of diabetes and my own weight could have contributed to it. I am still learning all I can about the disease plus I happen to have high cholesterol and high triglycerides.

I weigh around 308 lbs and my doctor said it would benefit me if I continue losing weight while taking diabetic medicines and some for both cholesterol and triglycerides with a possibility of it being reversed. Can diabetes really be reversed?

Is the normal range for blood sugar between 70 and 180 at all time where if it is any lower or higher, you can go into a coma?

I happen to have a big question. Although I have not gained or lose any weight, I noticed I'm getting more body fats in my upper half of my body. Sometime the fats would feel sore like water retentive or something. I know it sounds strange and three doctors I went all think it's nothing and that I just need to exercise more often. Are there any diabetic medicines known to cause weight gain?

I'm taking the following medicines: Metformin and Actos for diabetes, Pravastatin and Gemfibrozil for cholesterol and triglycerides, and Tramadol (for burning/tingling pain).

I would appreciate any advices, suggestions, or feedbacks you may have about my condition based on your life experiences of dealing with diabetes.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 AM

I know from my Husband's experience he got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2008. January 2011 after a bought with an attack of diverticulitis he decided it was time to loose weight. So far he has lost 95 lbs and in July it will be 1 year off meds. Luckily for him he only needed the metformin. His BP/Cholesterol has always been good. He still needs to loose another 80.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Cholesterol is tied to your glucose levels. They rise and fall together. Gastric bypass is now seen as the "cure" for Type II diabetes. It will be extremely hard to lose weight since you are so heavy. Look into the bypass (only weight loss surgery to have this effect). I had it 2 yrs ago, lost 115 lbs, and no longer take insulin,

Old 04-10-2012, 03:14 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,749,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Cholesterol is tied to your glucose levels. They rise and fall together. Gastric bypass is now seen as the "cure" for Type II diabetes. It will be extremely hard to lose weight since you are so heavy. Look into the bypass (only weight loss surgery to have this effect). I had it 2 yrs ago, lost 115 lbs, and no longer take insulin,
SouthernBelle, Some people think gastric bypass is the easy way out; I think it takes courage to do what you went through. You're right about the cure with that surgery; I forgot about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes