Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,884,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
SouthernBelle, Some people think gastric bypass is the easy way out; I think it takes courage to do what you went through. You're right about the cure with that surgery; I forgot about that.
Nothing easy about puking for close to a year as you learn what you can eat, how fast you can eat, and when to eat! The pain from the laprascopic procedure was sooo much wworse than I had anticipated. I sucked down liquid Lortab for about 10 days (only thing I can take). Even without the big incision of previous techniques, my abdomen was so sore I needed help to get up from bed or a chair for close to a week.

I don't want to hijack this thread, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 12:06 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,103,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
SouthernBelle, Some people think gastric bypass is the easy way out; I think it takes courage to do what you went through. You're right about the cure with that surgery; I forgot about that.
I've always thought, and I know it's not right, that bypass is a last ditch effort for when you absolutely can't control your weight. I know it's wrong to think that, but that's just what is in my mind. I've seen several people that did it and these were strong willed folks that no matter what they did, they just couldn't shed the weight. But for some folks, the surgery is not cost effective. No insurance, not enough in savings, just not feasable so they have to plug along as best they can. It's like my doctor is always telling me, "Eat more fruit". I told him, "I will, but please tell me what I should cut out. Bread? Milk? Meat? What? I buy as much fruit as I can afford. Unfortunately, living in the Northern Rockies, we don't get a lot of fresh fruit at prices one can afford, specially during the winter. Frozen is the best you can do and it's costly.

I lost a lot of weight (over 200 lbs) over 2 years before I was diagnosed as Type II. But I got diabetes when I damaged my pancreas with gangrene infection. So I know a person can loose the weight if their mindset is strong. But not everybody can.

The question on this thread is does diabetes shorten your life span. It can. But most importantly it is a matter of "quality of life". You may live a normal life span, but do you want to do it blind with both legs amputated and a couple heart attacks and a stroke? Not me.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:55 AM

95 posts, read 282,515 times
I noticed one post saying that 70 before fasting and no higher than 140 after the meal is the normal range for blood sugar.

My doctor told me differently. I wonder why. He said the normal range is no lower than 70 and no higher than 180 just to be safe. He also said if your blood sugar is over 200, you should take Metformin. If it won't go down after 4 hours then go to a hospital.

Is it different for me since I'm morbidly obese with blood sugar being low most of the time?

What is the alternative to gastric bypass called? I heard of it but I forgot. It's very similiar to gastric bypass.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,884,655 times
Lap band, gastric sleeve, gastrectomy are the others I can think of. But only the gastric bypass has the immediate effect on DM-II diabetes. It's the only one being talked about as the "magic bullet" for type II diabetes. The others help to some degree as you lose weight but not nearly as much. The 3 ft of intestines that are removed are where the majority of the hormones affecting glucose reside. That's why the others aren't as effective for diabetics.

In fact, as a diabetic who had a bypass (lost 115 lbs and got off insulin), I'd say don't waste your time doing any of the others, it's expensive, painful, and for what? To still struggle with glucose issues, to lose weight slower?

Old 03-01-2016, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,823 times
To all the people who are affected by this terrible disease, I am so sorry for all the difficulties you and your loved ones have suffered in dealing with it. I just wanted to post an encouraging (hopefully) note and share my husband's experience to give you an idea of his path.

He was diagnosed with NIDD 1.5 (midway between type 1 and 2) when he was in his early 40's. He wasn't overweight, but inherited the disease which runs heavily in his family. He refused to go to the doctor before then and only capitulated because he lost a ton of weight and was starting to look starved and had to admit something was wrong lol. That's a German Engineer for you! His blood sugar when diagnosed was off the charts, but as soon as he found out, he worked really hard to get it down, and was able to maintain around 130 for a long time. He did struggle with frequent sudden lows and highs. Anyway, he got by without insulin shots for about 10 years. He has always been meticulous about monitoring his blood sugar, and very careful with his diet. He has not yet experienced any of the side effects like neuropathy, foot problems, or vision problems.

His only real vice is smoking, which he does in reasonable moderation, if there is such a thing... He recently started using a pump, which has been very helpful in his ability to gain better control. At 64, he is still in reasonably good health.

However, I have seen that his immune system is compromised. He gets every cold, virus, and flu around, and it hangs on for months. Even with the pump and his strict monitoring, he still experiences highs over 300 and lows in the 40s. The lows are terrifying to me, because he can slip into a coma and no one would know if it's the middle of the night. He tends to get a surge of Adrenalin when it falls below about 60 luckily, so I can at least hope that he can get help before it's too late. The highs don't scare me as much as the lows, but he always says the highs are what should scare me.

To sum it up, he's doing reasonably well physically. I hope this helps!

Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,495,470 times
@Gemsgirl

If he is going low he obviously needs to monitor (more closely) his carb intake and his dose of insulin. It is a balancing act that he must maintain carefully to avoid the lows. The insulin dose must be appropriate for the amount of carbohydrates he consumes. It is like a seesaw, foods raise BG, and insulin lowers it. What kind of diet is he on if any?

Old 05-04-2016, 08:14 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,179,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I see that diabetes can cause kidney problems, elevated levels of heart disease and strokes. And other health issues.
Is it more of a manageable disease, or does it actually lower life expectancy?
Life expectancy for diabetics (Type 1) is generally reduced but the biggest key to a longer life is managing the disease. According to the Journal of American Medical Association men with Type 1 lose about 11 years of life expectancy and women lose about 13 year. Some other organizations estimate life expectancy for Type 1 diabetics reduced by up to 20 years.

My husband has had Type 1 since he was 7 and he is now 39. So far my husband has zero complications which is pretty amazing considering how long he has had it. I think the number one reason he doesn't have any complication is he stays active. He works as an Electrician so he is always moving and on the go so he has very little time to become sedentary. He is also on the pump which provides insulin through out the day vs injections just at meal time which help keep his levels stabilized.

This is how my husband explains it...life with diabetes (especially Type 1) is like constantly walking a balancing beam, one wrong move (too high/too low) and it could all be over.

Last edited by sherrenee; 05-04-2016 at 08:25 PM..

Old 07-30-2016, 11:01 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,488,143 times
Beta blockers - I take Metoprolol - will double one's blood glucose readings overnight! I've had a 'nervous' heart (arrhythmias) all my life but managed without meds until age 58. I'm now 60. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a little over five years ago, but I kept it in check with diet and exercise and my A1c readings were always in the 5.2 - 5.4 range. (At diagnosis my A1c was 6.9.)

Two years ago, I had a touch-and-go A-fib episode, and the docs put me on Metoprolol. LITERALLY overnight my BG doubled, and instead of reading in the low to mid 4s on my meter, I was up at 7 and 8! If I had known how destructive and addictive Metoprolol is, I wouldn't have taken it. I know how to cardiovert using natural substances, and I would have used Metoprolol in emergency situations (spot help, if you like), but I wouldn't be taking it daily! It isn't a matter of willpower to wean oneself off it, it's downright dangerous to the heart. I've tried (several times) to come off it but my heart goes nuts and I end up right back where I started.

I'd camp out in the emergency room for a couple of months and risk it in order to get my blood glucose back under good control, but I have to have a radical hysterectomy soon (don't know the date yet), so it would be unwise to irritate my heart prior to recovering from surgery - God-Willing. And just for extra fun, I gained 90lbs with this drug as well, and I haven't changed my diet. Nothing I do will budge the weight as long as I'm on Metoprolol. So, if you're diabetic and they offer you Metoprolol, run like hell!!!

Diabetes does run in my family, and most people in my family aren't overweight. My grandmother lived to just shy of 99 though, so it can be done. My paternal grandmother made it to 87, heart problems and all. My mother's brother has been diabetic for years, and he's nearly 80 and still going strong. (My mother died from a smoking-related illness just shy of her 72nd birthday, but she's the exception, rather than the rule.)

I'm *really*angry with my docs for not informing me properly about the dangers of Metoprolol, but if I'm spared through my upcoming surgery, I'm determined to get off this poison.

I hope this helps somebody.

Love,

Mahrie.
P.S. Diabetes sucks!

Old 08-01-2016, 06:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
How is the insulin distributed? (In one use disposable syringes or bottles with mg/ml/cc)
My sister was down for Christmas and she mentioned that she was getting medication in lots of 750. That sounds like a lot of doses. She said it's so she will have access to her medication every time she needs it. I'm not sure if it's type 1 or 2.
My Father lived to be age 88. He had other medical issues, and he never really mentioned his diabetes.
But my sister is really on top of her diet. Beverages for her meals, are water, almost exclusively.
Usually all major cities have diabetic clinics eg;=
https://www.google.ca/search?q=lanca...21.E8QAXw2YNDg

If you are diabetic it would be in your best interest to frequent one of these clinics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes