Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 01:05 PM

30,506 posts, read 16,206,257 times

Advertisements

I work in a hospital and people occasionally bring in used lancets or needles. Mostly in coffee cans, sometimes in regular sharps containers. If your dr's office or pharmacy won't take them, try a hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 03:49 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I work in a hospital and people occasionally bring in used lancets or needles. Mostly in coffee cans, sometimes in regular sharps containers. If your dr's office or pharmacy won't take them, try a hospital.
There are a couple of problems with this.

First, doctors and hospitals usually have to pay someone to dispose of medical waste, including sharps. So doing it for free for patients could potentially be expensive if enough people wanted to do it.

Also, the theory behind disposing of contaminated sharps is to place them in a puncture proof container as close to the point of use as possible. That is why containers are in exam rooms and hospital rooms.

If you are going to take your sharps to your doctor or a hospital, it needs to be in a hazardous waste container. You have to buy them, and they are not inexpensive. If you take it to the hospital in a coffee can, someone would have to empty that can into an approved container. That creates potential risk to the person doing the transfer.

Here is what Hawaii suggests:

http://healthuser.hawaii.gov/health/...f/medwaste.pdf

It advises using a tough plastic container, such as has been suggested in previous posts. Using something that has a small opening in the top reduces the risk that someone will reach inside and get stuck by a needle, so a coffee can is not the best option.

"The container must also be clearly marked, “BIOHAZARD.”

You do not have to recap, purposely bend, break, or otherwise manipulate needles before inserting them into the disposal container. Drop all parts into the container. Sharps should be sterilized or be chemically disinfected prior to disposal. Once your container is full, fill the container with one part bleach solution and ten parts of water. Allow solution to soak for twenty minutes. Then, pour the solution into the sink and seal the cap with tape before placing the disposal container into the garbage."

Remember not to put your sharps with the recycling.

I have not been disinfecting with bleach. I have learned something new and will start doing so.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:20 PM

77 posts, read 170,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Why is advice from others who use syringes and lancets not valuable?
I never said it wasn't.
But its not the best for obvious reasons and you & others have illustrated the problem with people "doing their own thing".
If something damaging or infectious happeend to someone, saying "Well, I read about doing it this way on a web forum" is not going to be an acceptable answer or excuse.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pims26 View Post
I never said it wasn't.
But its not the best for obvious reasons and you & others have illustrated the problem with people "doing their own thing".
If something damaging or infectious happeend to someone, saying "Well, I read about doing it this way on a web forum" is not going to be an acceptable answer or excuse.

So what you are saying is that we should just stop posting about any health related topics?

Old 06-12-2014, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,861 times
I use empty vitamin or aspirin bottle with tight lid. The twist off 'top' to the lancet I place inside the open lid, then (while still in lancet device) push the lancet 'needle' into the flat sided of twist off 'top' thus capping exposed sharp part, then eject lancet into bottle and eject used strip into bottle. Once bottle is full, close tightly and put in trash bag to be taken by trash collection.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:31 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
I have a sharps container i put them in. Bought at Walmart. States actually have rules for how to dispose of the sharps. OH says I can put them in a sealed container and put them in the trash labeled.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Most pharmacies will give you a container for needle disposal..

Old 08-11-2014, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,722 times
Don't throw lancets in the trash! They can cause harm if the cover over the needle is exposed because it falls off or doesn't stay attached well. Syringes and pen needles do not get put in the trash either-most towns have some sort of used needle disposal place like a community health center that will take them if in containers like empty coffee cans, milk jugs or detergent bottles!

Old 08-11-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxster View Post
Don't throw lancets in the trash! They can cause harm if the cover over the needle is exposed because it falls off or doesn't stay attached well. Syringes and pen needles do not get put in the trash either-most towns have some sort of used needle disposal place like a community health center that will take them if in containers like empty coffee cans, milk jugs or detergent bottles!
Welcome to City Data!

Rules vary from place to place. You might want to read some of the posts above yours.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:38 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,002 times
I bought a sharps container at Sams Club for like $3.

Wal-mart has them pretty cheap too. A small one will last for awhile and it says you can use the Postal Service for disposal (I'm assuming there is an address or something - I haven't gotten to the point where I have to dispose of it yet.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes