Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 02:37 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times

Advertisements

How successful is Weight Watchers for diabetics? Does the plan have too many carbs or do you think they are the right carbs? Any experienced diabetic WW folks out there? Would love to hear your experiences. Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:15 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
My husband was diabetic and on WW with me. He has lost 97 lbs since January 2011, it does work. He did not go to the meetings, he basically eats all the low calorie foods and recipes I cook from weigh watchers and a diabetic cook book we have. He's been off meds almost a year. We cut out red meat and eat fish, chicken and turkey. Lots of veggies, some fruit(he's picky with fruit) I make rice, pasta and or pototoes twice a week. He does not eat much bread, very rare if he has a sandwhich but once a week I will make low fat/calorie quesadilla's using low carb whole wheat tortilla's. Sunday mornings is the only time he may have a bagel, english muffin or some sort of toast. Monday through saturday his breakfast is either 3 egg whites or 2 scrambled eggs with 1 slice of american cheese. His lunch consists of either tuna fish, egg salad, chicken, deli sliced ham or turkey, delmonte no sugar added fruit cup, Jiff PB single cup with some crackers. I take the deli meat and wrap it around some cheese slices. He usually has 4 or 5 roll ups.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 AM

Oh and he has cut down his prtion sizes tremendously. I would give WW a try. I have several people in my meetings that are diabetic.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:21 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
How successful is Weight Watchers for diabetics? Does the plan have too many carbs or do you think they are the right carbs? Any experienced diabetic WW folks out there? Would love to hear your experiences. Thanks~

Weight Watchers does not have a "Diabetic" specific plan the last I heard but it is still a very good plan for weight loss and maintenance.

I have a book that I can send you if you would like to have it, it is basically my food bible for my husband who is diabetic. It is called:
"Carb Counting and Meal Planning". Novo Nordisk used to make it available via the hospital dietician but they do not print this book any longer.

You can go to the Novo Nordisk website and search for the corners4care link (something similiar) and download that specific book to use on your ebook reader if you have one.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Weight Watchers does not have a "Diabetic" specific plan the last I heard but it is still a very good plan for weight loss and maintenance.

I have a book that I can send you if you would like to have it, it is basically my food bible for my husband who is diabetic. It is called:
"Carb Counting and Meal Planning". Novo Nordisk used to make it available via the hospital dietician but they do not print this book any longer.

You can go to the Novo Nordisk website and search for the corners4care link (something similiar) and download that specific book to use on your ebook reader if you have one.
You are right it does not have a diabetic specific plan but the leaders will tell you they have many diabetics who do WW and do well and lower their sugars.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 PM

71 posts, read 255,262 times
Weight Watchers is a pretty balanced plan and you can adapt it to your needs. I've been on it recently and it doesn't really specify an exact amount of carbohydrates, so it would be totally okay to modify that to your body's needs.

Weight Watchers really encourages you to eat fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grain foods (whole wheat pasta versus white pasta, for example). Ultimately though, it's up to the individual to make the choice to buy whole grain and fresh foods.

If you'd like to lose weight, I'd really recommend it. It really teaches one how to choose appropriate portion sizes.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 21,831 times
Default Your book-"Carb Counting and Meal Planning"

Hi,
I just found your post while looking for information to help with meal planning for both my husband and myself. We are both diabetics-he's Type II and I'm Type I. Your book "Carb Counting and Meal Planning" looks like something that might be very helpful to both of us. I do not have an ebook reader. Is there another format that you have that where I could access the book? I thank you so much for any help you can give.
Sincerely,
Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

Old 07-29-2012, 11:08 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Is this the book? Amazon.com: Carb Counting and Meal Planning: Tools to Help You Manage Your Blood Sugar (Changing Life with Diabetes): Changiing Life with Diabetes Staff: Books Click on the link to bring you to the order page.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 7,506 times
I just ordered Carb counting and Meal Planning from amazon ,com thank all of you for the ideas.. I have been very lost with trying to lose weight and have diabetes. I am going to start weight watcher's and use the other book as a guide . thank you Esther

Old 07-25-2015, 05:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezorzi View Post
I just ordered Carb counting and Meal Planning from amazon ,com thank all of you for the ideas.. I have been very lost with trying to lose weight and have diabetes. I am going to start weight watcher's and use the other book as a guide . thank you Esther

One thing that has helped me very much is tracking my food intake every day. I use a website called Spark People because I like their recipe calculator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes