Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 03:33 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Dawson View Post
Here are 6 more supplements to consider if you have or are at risk for type 2 diabetes. Always consult your healthcare provider before starting any supplement program for the optimal product and dose for your needs.

[1] Chromium. The benefits of the mineral chromium in type 2 diabetes has been explored for years, and numerous studies have suggested chromium supplements can reduce blood sugar levels in people who have type 2 diabetes. Not everyone agrees on which form of chromium is best, however.

A 2012 study from Louisiana State University named chromium dinicocysteinate as being superior to chromium picolinate, which has been the suggested form of chromium for diabetes for years. Chromium dinicocysteinate is a combination of elemental chromium, niacin, and L-cysteine (an amino acid). Research showed that patients who took chromium dinicocysteinate for three months had about a 30 percent improvement in fasting insulin levels and insulin resistance.

[2] Fenugreek. More than a popular spice in Indian food, fenugreek has demonstrated an ability to improve insulin sensitivity and lower blood glucose. Some studies have even suggested fenugreek seeds may help prevent complications of diabetes, including retinopathy. Fenugreek seed and powder supplements are available.

[3] Resveratrol. Use of the potent antioxidant resveratrol, found in red grapes and red wine, has been associated with a significant improvement in HbA1c levels in people with type 2 diabetes. Resveratrol also may reduce cholesterol and systolic blood pressure, important risk factors for cardiovascular disease in diabetics. A typical dose is 250 mg daily.

[4] Cinnamon. This sweet supplement has been the topic of many studies in type 2 diabetes, and for good reason. A Nutrition Research article recently reported that type 2 diabetes patients who took cinnamon experienced significantly lower fasting blood glucose levels and triglyceride levels when compared with placebo. The researchers concluded “that cinnamon be considered a promising supplement for the therapy of type 2 diabetes when hyperglycemia cannot be satisfactorily controlled by other strategies such as diet, exercise, and prescribed medication.”

[5] Curcumin. The tens of millions of people in the United States with prediabetes may want to consider the benefits of curcumin. A study from Thailand among people with prediabetes found that adults who took 250 mg of curcumin for nine months did not progress to develop full-blown diabetes while more than 16 percent of adults who took placebo did develop the disease. The authors noted that curcumin’s anti-inflammatory abilities may protect the beta cells (which produced insulin) from damage.

[6] Gymnema sylvestre. The secret to this Ayurvedic herb is in its name: its Hindi name, “gurmar,” means “destroyer of sugar.” Supplements of Gymnema sylvestre have been shown to stimulate the pancreas, enhance the release of insulin, reduce blood glucose levels and HbA1c, and improve cholesterol levels. A typical dose is 500 mg daily.
I don't believe any of this stuff works. For every study you find that shows it does work, there's one to show it does not. I would like to hear from anyone in this group that's used any of these supplements and how they've worked for them. I've tried cinnamon and found it was useless, except it tasted good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:25 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Both of my podiatrists (I moved) have recommended I take 4 grams of L-Argenine per day to relieve foot neuropathy. According to them, there is valid medical evidence (can't provide link) to prove that it increases blood flow to the extremities and helps prevent further damage.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,106 times
I'm the OP. After almost a year of taking a couple of different supplements I can't say they are doing anything for me. I am going to use up what I have and not take anymore of them. Frankly, I think changing your diet is totally number 1.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Both of my podiatrists (I moved) have recommended I take 4 grams of L-Argenine per day to relieve foot neuropathy. According to them, there is valid medical evidence (can't provide link) to prove that it increases blood flow to the extremities and helps prevent further damage.
I think this link explains it really well and in layman's terms. The L-arginine really helped my grandfather control the neuropathic symptoms and enhanced his quality of life before he passed away.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:04 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I'm the OP. After almost a year of taking a couple of different supplements I can't say they are doing anything for me. I am going to use up what I have and not take anymore of them. Frankly, I think changing your diet is totally number 1.
You are absolutely correcto and where you went wrong is that you expected the supplements to do all the work. You're supposed to use them to buy yourself some time while you get your diet and exercise program straightened out b/c if you just take the supplements you might put off getting diabetic until later, but if you're prone to it, you still will get it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking diabetic drugs are the same way--they improve your blood sugar/insulin ratio, but you still have to lose the weight or you'll still end up taking insulin in the end and then more later as it gets worse.

So yes, changing your diet is totally number 1.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:43 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
You are absolutely correcto and where you went wrong is that you expected the supplements to do all the work. You're supposed to use them to buy yourself some time while you get your diet and exercise program straightened out b/c if you just take the supplements you might put off getting diabetic until later, but if you're prone to it, you still will get it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking diabetic drugs are the same way--they improve your blood sugar/insulin ratio, but you still have to lose the weight or you'll still end up taking insulin in the end and then more later as it gets worse.

Well, yes and no.
For some people ,their diet is poor and their weight needs lowering and making adjustments will definately improve their condition and in many cases, eliminate the need to take as much or any drugs.
But for some of those that have lost weight and do eat properly , they may still need the additional help of medications.
Even diabetics who don't do much to help themselves will not neccessarily advance to needing insulin shots....oral meds can provide enough control for many.
You are definately right when you say " your diet is totally number 1."

Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,955 times
Quote:

Well, if a person has a glucose meter, and is getting their A1Cs checked one would think they'd see a small difference with or without the supplements.

Not every person who has type 2 diabetes is overweight at diagnosis.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:52 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Well, if a person has a glucose meter, and is getting their A1Cs checked one would think they'd see a small difference with or without the supplements.

True.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post

I totally and 100% agree but I'm talking in general and even the thin folks can be out of shape exercise wise. All I'm pointing out is that supplements by themselves are not going to keep back the diabetes--you have to make the other changes also and the supplements can help while you're doing that. To expect them to do it all is to have too high of expectations.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:49 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Quote:
I totally and 100% agree but I'm talking in general and even the thin folks can be out of shape exercise wise. All I'm pointing out is that supplements by themselves are not going to keep back the diabetes--you have to make the other changes also and the supplements can help while you're doing that. To expect them to do it all is to have too high of expectations.
Excellent point!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes