Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Thanks, I am discovering that.

What I am doing right now is experimenting and over a period of just a few days I can see how what I eat impacts sugar levels.

Some of what I see I interpret as good, such as being really bad with pizza and milk duds and still not seeing my glucose level spike above 180. Other parts not so good such as fasting but still not see it drop below 110. That I don't like and see as the biggest problem.
If you can keep the blood sugar levels around the 90-110 range you have it under control. As those test strips run about a buck each I usually test myself just once a day when i wake up as thats going to be the lowest reading of the day. If you want to avoid going on diabetes medication the milk duds and pizza gotta go along with chocolate cake. if you want a good diet to follow you could check out the South Beach Diet
http://www.southbeachdiet.com/diet/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Even 177 is too high after eating. It was explained to me at the hospital like this: glucose molecules have sharp edges and they rough up the interior walls of your blood veins. Over time those rough spots build up enough plaque to cause clots then clots lead to strokes. Thst scared me. Any higher than recommended level is doing damage on a daily basis. You just don't see it yet.
Scares me to death. Just learning about this stuff.

While I may kid around a bit I realize it is nothing to kid around about over the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you can keep the blood sugar levels around the 90-110 range you have it under control. As those test strips run about a buck each I usually test myself just once a day when i wake up as thats going to be the lowest reading of the day. If you want to avoid going on diabetes medication the milk duds and pizza gotta go along with chocolate cake. if you want a good diet to follow you could check out the South Beach Diet
South Beach Diet
I realize the good stuff has to go. Two basic rules; if it is white, or I really like it, then it is not good for me and I have to give it up.

I spent the past few days experimenting, not really trying to get it under control so much as attempting to get an idea how my glucose levels react to what and when I eat.

Now I have one week before I see the doctor and starting today I am going to see if I can get my blood sugar down to 90 - 110 in the mornings.

I got a choice.... no choice really, either give up pizza and the milk duds (I dearly love milk duds) or have my feet sawed off after which I lose fingers and eyesight. Really no choice when it comes to this.

Milk duds, I can eat two boxes in a single sitting. Darn, I am going to miss them.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Not to be too graphic but other appendages are affected in males as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:13 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
For a normal person the body may tolerate the occasional bag of milk duds but being border line diabetic you got one chance to stave off full blown diabetes and a life time of diabetic medications, now is that critical time,take the warning your body is giving you seriously or you'll end up like me
800MG Metformin X2 per day
1 30Mg Januvia X1 per day
80 units of Lantus (Insulin)injection 1X per day
20 units of Humalog (insulin) 3X per day
Then cholesterol and high blood pressure meds on top of that..
You have the luxury of a bit of a warning,a time where you can eliminate the diabetes or at the least slow it down through diet, when i first went to the doctor it was full blown diabetes with blood sugar readings close to 500,its been 15 years since that first diagnosis and my Blood sugar readings are still double what they are supposed to be,at 65 the related health problems are numerous as the diabetes is basically eating me alive,premature death is a certainty but i dont have the inner strength to do what needs to be done on a dietary level, i sure hope you can find the way. Good luck..
PS.
Quote:
I realize the good stuff has to go. Two basic rules; if it is white, or I really like it, then it is not good for me and I have to give it up.
Let me give you a 3rd rule; if it comes in a box with unpronounceable ingredients? leave it at the store.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:54 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Scares me to death. Just learning about this stuff.

While I may kid around a bit I realize it is nothing to kid around about over the long term.

I spent the past few days experimenting, not really trying to get it under control so much as attempting to get an idea how my glucose levels react to what and when I eat.

Now I have one week before I see the doctor and starting today I am going to see if I can get my blood sugar down to 90 - 110 in the mornings.

I got a choice.... no choice really, either give up pizza and the milk duds (I dearly love milk duds) or have my feet sawed off after which I lose fingers and eyesight. Really no choice when it comes to this.

Milk duds, I can eat two boxes in a single sitting. Darn, I am going to miss them.
Jambo gave you good advice (as did others) which I won't repeat. I will just add that for now, you want to get this under control. For sure, the Milk Duds MUST go. As for pizza, I love pizza also; but now when I want some I have a very ultra-thin whole-grain crust with only veggies. These are low calorie and fairly low carb, and if I eat it, I do so in the morning when I have all day to work it off. I DO work out intensely, EVERY DAY - this is something you must do - the muscles gobble up the extra glucose in the blood. At night, I eat as low-carb (or low on the glycemic scale) as possible. I really want to manage this with diet and exercise. I also take many herbal supplements (cinnamon being the main one) which help to lower blood sugar.

Good luck to you, it will be so much better taking control NOW. Foregoing Milk Duds is a small price to pay.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Interestingly, I found that if I eat a snack at night and if I add extra fat to it my morning blood sugars are much lower.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Interestingly, I found that if I eat a snack at night and if I add extra fat to it my morning blood sugars are much lower.
I eat a snack at night, too. Usually a protein or fat snack. It keeps the liver from dumping glucose during the night.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I eat a snack at night, too. Usually a protein or fat snack. It keeps the liver from dumping glucose during the night.

I just happened upon this... One night I added an extra handful of walnuts to the yogurt and flaxseed I was eating, which obviously brought the fat content up a fair amount and the next morning, there was a 25point drop in my usual fasting reading. Needless to say, I will be doing this or something similar every night. I haven't researched it yet.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:53 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
...either give up pizza ...Darn, I am going to miss them.
Learn to make your own pizza and make it healthy. I'll search for a diabetic-friendly recipe and post it for you. Someone else may have a recipe to post, too.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Thank you all for the input, I will be here often and I realize I have a lot of research to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Learn to make your own pizza and make it healthy. I'll search for a diabetic-friendly recipe and post it for you. Someone else may have a recipe to post, too.
My wife is my greatest champion. Whenever we have pizza at home she always makes it and it comes from a diabetic cook book. Whole grain flour and watchful of the bad stuff to put on it.

My wife has always cooked semi-diabetic even before it became a problem. I could never figure out why she did but she did... where I messed up was going to work and the donuts and milk duds.

I gotta start working out more too and for reasons more than the diabetic. Right now I am about 30 lbs overweight (20 lbs of that is milk duds, can you guys tell I am sort of fond of milk duds?) and obviously I need to lose all the extra. Actually I was 40 lbs overweight but lost 12 to 15 lbs over the past six weeks so I am making progress. My pants are getting lose and if I don't wear a belt my summer shorts will fall down.

Right now I want a snack and am to scared to have anything. What else is there besides celery sticks and carrots?

Also, got to learn more about the fat snacks at night.

Rice cakes, good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Not to be too graphic but other appendages are affected in males as well.
Damn you!

(Just kidding, very sobering).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes