Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:13 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Howdy, folks!

I'm the OP, who had BG readings of 500+

Today, my fasting BG was 107!

That's in less than one month! I've been taking Glyburide, watching the diet. I'm lucky mine responds so well to treatment. I'm on my way to better health! Hurray for me!
That is fantastic! Way to go!

I know that you must be feeling better already. I noticed a drastic change in my overall health after getting the sugar under control.
Lower readings sure make for a sweeter life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
That is fantastic! Way to go!

I know that you must be feeling better already. I noticed a drastic change in my overall health after getting the sugar under control.
Lower readings sure make for a sweeter life.
Yes, I am feeling much better!

I have more energy, can get out of bed in the morning without hitting the snooze alarm 6x, my sinus infection is cleared up, I don't feel so depressed---

Thanks for all the advice, tips, websites, etc, given here. Its a lot of information to absorb, and I'm coming up to speed. Even my psoraisis is getting under control!

Thing to do---quit the unhealthy habits. Just that! Quit eating junk, fast food, etc. I guess I just had my wake-up call.

Remember my OP, I said my little cat dragged in my test kit? i'd lost it and quit testing, out of frustration. Well, that's when I found I was running 500--600+. Little kitty now gets Blue Mountain food, forget the store cheapie stuff. One good turn deserves another!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:12 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I've read that there are two kinds of Metformin -- a regular formula and a extended release formula. The ER formula is supposed to be easier on tummies....
That is true. The regular Metformin can feel like it is boring a hole in your innards (severe heartburn?) and the extended release doesn't do this. It's also good to use E.R. if you have an irregular schedule for eating/working, etc., like shift work or something.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:02 PM

Update--

FBG--107

PPG--168

Wow! I feel soooo good

That horrible thirst is gone!

That constant, knawing hunger is gone!

I have energy!

I was thinking I was just getting old, looks like not!

Treatment:

5 mg gliburide AM

5 mg gliburide PM

Watch the diet, don't skip meals, go low on carbs, eat meals in balanced ratios of protein, carb, fat, exercise more----a long ways from BG 598+ and its not been quite a month!

Oh, also, my eyesight is better. I couldn't read labels, etc, without a magnifying glass. Now, I can read them. A lot to trade for a diet of junk!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:30 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
So glad you have been so successful so quickly. You are doing everything just right!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:45 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
It's really awesome how you've gotten your sugars down!

Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Yes, I am feeling much better!

I have more energy, can get out of bed in the morning without hitting the snooze alarm 6x, my sinus infection is cleared up, I don't feel so depressed---

Thanks for all the advice, tips, websites, etc, given here. Its a lot of information to absorb, and I'm coming up to speed. Even my psoraisis is getting under control!

Thing to do---quit the unhealthy habits. Just that! Quit eating junk, fast food, etc. I guess I just had my wake-up call.

Remember my OP, I said my little cat dragged in my test kit? i'd lost it and quit testing, out of frustration. Well, that's when I found I was running 500--600+. Little kitty now gets Blue Mountain food, forget the store cheapie stuff. One good turn deserves another!
I totally understand. I caught a cold and I thought it was lingering on forever. Turns out it was diabetes rearing its ugly head. Those achy, dragging mornings... all things from the past!

Glad to hear that your eyes are clearing up also. Keep an eye (pun intended!) on the changes.
I had cataracts and the vision changes were actually a blessing for me; my eyes changed so much that I finally was able to have to cataracts removed this spring. I see so MUCH better.

It's amazing how wonderful life is when you feel better and see better.

Have you noticed your kitty cuddling you more when your sugar gets low?
I have recently noticed our cat does so with both me and my brother (also a diabetic) in the late afternoon. What she does is jump up onto our recliner and wants some loves. After a few scratches she nuzzles our face and then jumps down and sits there looking at us. She is so dang cute that we have to get up and give her a few treats. It is only when we stand up that we actually realize we are dropping quickly. This has happened too many times for me to count anymore. Now when she does this routine we both reach for snacks we keep nearby for just this event.
I hope she will do the same thing if I ever drop that low at night. She sleeps with me on and off all night, so she just may someday.
I'm glad your kitty gets the best meals! Ours does, too!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:18 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Marylee, remember that stress can raise your BG levels. If some days you find an unexplained rise, think about what's been happening in the family or at work that day or the day before.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:06 AM

An update--

We increased the glyburide to 7.5 mg morning and 7.5 mg evening, also added metformin ER 500 mg morning.

fasting BG---running 80-90

post-prandial running around 150

That's in less than 2 months!

The thirst and hunger is gone, I don't even want carbs, at least not like I used to.

Only problem is I sometimes spike during the day, hitting 200. But even that's getting better, I used to spike around 250--300+.

Since changing our diet, I've noticed our weekly trash is much less. I can't believe how much processed foods we were eating = lots of packing materials, etc. My dd mentioned tonight we don't go down the grocery aisles so much, we shop around the perimeter, where the fresh stuff is. Big changes!

Reading over this thread, I simply can't believe how high my numbers were just 2 months ago. who knows how long they were like that before I was testing?Its a wonder I didn't wind up in the ER in a diabetic coma! I know now! I realize this is a forever lifestyle change, but when you consider the alternatives, well, its not so bad!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 PM

I'm glad to hear things are still going good for you.

I've slipped and gained some weight in the past two months. However, my A1C is at a nice 6.1 and my fasting readings are so low that my doc just lowered my insulin to 23 units twice a day. I need to get out and walk more, but am dealing with a major neck issue (surgery pending) and have been unable to move much.
My downfall has been comfort foods like homemade (baked) french fries and hamburgers, mac and cheese and other high carb foods. I am now back to watching portion size since I am not walking.

I feel your excitement, because I went through the same emotions. It was an eye opener and a life changer.

Now, we just do what we gotta do.

You go, girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes