Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:21 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Reading over this thread, I simply can't believe how high my numbers were just 2 months ago. who knows how long they were like that before I was testing?Its a wonder I didn't wind up in the ER in a diabetic coma! I know now! I realize this is a forever lifestyle change, but when you consider the alternatives, well, its not so bad!
Marylee ... many of us have gone through exactly the same thing you experienced. When I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes shortly after my 50th birthday, my A1c was 13. That was a few years ago.

You're doing great! You are on the right track. I know you'll be just fine.

For me, it was the Bariatric surgery that put my diabetes into remission. Immediately after the Gastric-Bypass procedure I was taken off insulin (one was the Lantus Solostar pen, the other one I can't even remember - Humalin? Humalog? ). Within 3 months I was off ALL diabetes medications.All medications including Metformin and Glucotrol.

Now the bad news: for the past few weeks my waking morning numbers have been high (120 - 140) but the rest of day they are good 78 - 100. I saw my doctor yesterday and they took some blood to see my latest A1c numbers. Worse still, my fasting number was the worst in almost 2 years: 160 .

But I'll be fine. I've been getting lazy and have been cheating. We have it in our power to control diabetes! Don't ever forget that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
When diagnosed with diabetes no matter what the BG reading they usually like to start off slow on the meds and work up over time just in case you have a reaction to any of the drugs they prescribe..

Old 11-16-2012, 07:56 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Ok, well....still doing fine!

However, I've had a few "hypos", where BG goes too far down. Two were FBG in the AM, one was in the afternoon.

The afternoon was 72, not too bad, but gave me the shakes. The morning FBG hypos were 67, 62 and 52! All 3x I woke up from hunger---guess my body just doesn't like being uncomfortable! Well, to correct the hypos, probably I overdid it, drank orange juice, had some donuts (hey, they were in the kitchen for someone else). Then, it took the whole day to get back down. Well, we've adjusted the meds again. Now, its 500 mg metformin ER morning, and 5 mg glyburide AM, 2.5 mg glyburide pm. My numbers are getting better and better!

My doctor said my target should be 100-140, try to stay in that range.

Stay off that diabetesforum, they're a little too radical. They advocate a no-carb diet, which is not only difficult, its unhealthy. When I followed their advice a little too closely, I went hypo. I guess all they eat is meat, fat, and "leafy, green vegetables". Not my "cup of tea" (and I do use 1/2 tsp honey in my tea!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 PM

Oh, forgot to mention, but I've found I MUST eliminate milk. It spikes me about to about 250

I found this through trial-and-error. Sad, because milk is a "go to" beverage for me. I especially love my morning coffee made with hot milk, but must find another morning drink. I'm going to give almond milk a try.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:10 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Ok, well....still doing fine!

However, I've had a few "hypos", where BG goes too far down. Two were FBG in the AM, one was in the afternoon.

The afternoon was 72, not too bad, but gave me the shakes. The morning FBG hypos were 67, 62 and 52! All 3x I woke up from hunger---guess my body just doesn't like being uncomfortable! Well, to correct the hypos, probably I overdid it, drank orange juice, had some donuts (hey, they were in the kitchen for someone else). Then, it took the whole day to get back down. Well, we've adjusted the meds again. Now, its 500 mg metformin ER morning, and 5 mg glyburide AM, 2.5 mg glyburide pm. My numbers are getting better and better!

My doctor said my target should be 100-140, try to stay in that range.

Stay off that diabetesforum, they're a little too radical. They advocate a no-carb diet, which is not only difficult, its unhealthy. When I followed their advice a little too closely, I went hypo. I guess all they eat is meat, fat, and "leafy, green vegetables". Not my "cup of tea" (and I do use 1/2 tsp honey in my tea!
Marylee, I noticed they seem pretty hard-core on that diabetes forum. I know for myself, I have to have some carbs, I feel AWFUL if I go as low-carb as they do. I do try to stay on track though, having most of the carbs in the morning (when I work it off) and fewer as the day goes on and at night. I guess it's different for everyone, since no two diabetics are on the same type of diet or exercise regimen.

Congratulations on doing so well with your #s, very inspirational!

Old 11-17-2012, 02:31 PM

Well, if one goes to diabetesforum, take it with a grain of salt (not a gram of carb).

They do have a lot of useful information, but do consider the source. I went there when newly diagnosed, and didn't know how to sort out their useful information from the hype! I would say they are best for someone with some prior knowledge and experience with diabetes.

Like I said, I went hypo 3x while following their advice. Fortunately, the hypos were recoverable. What if I slept through one? Scary thought.....

I would suggest one go to the American Diabetic Association for diet advice. Their advice is more realistic, and more valid. BTW, the diabetes forum has members from other countries. Its interesting to see how diabetes is handled in other countries, insurance, etc.

A sad thing about diabetes, I've found, is the lack of useful, practical information. Diabetes is a serious disease, a leading killer in this country. Despite all the publicity about the seriousness of the disease, I've found doctors to be woefully uncaring. They typically offer next to nothing insofar as education. Rarely do they even suggest seeing a dietitian or diabetic educator, even though such rescources are readily available.

I've known diabetics who didn't even know how to use their meter, and didn't understand the need for it. I knew 2 diabetics who thought all they had to do was inject with insulin, they didn't have a clue how to coordinate diet with it. My own experiences with doctors has been quite disappointing as well. One didn't even mention diabetes, one of those who looks at the air and tries to pretend he's in too lofty a status to lower himself to actually talk to the lowly patient. He just floated out the door, then a little play nurse comes in and hands me some RX and left. One was for metformin. That was it! I didn't even know I was dx with diabetes until the pharmacist went over the meds! Well, I fired that doctor!

Then, I went to an endocrinologist. She was even worse. My FBG was normal, so she just dismissed me---said I didn't have diabetes, then, when I pressed said, why don't you try exercise? That was it! Then she flounced out. I managed to catch her in the hall with my own meter, oh, do you think 275 is normal? Oh, then she paid attention---barely. keep in mind, this was an endocrinologist, and diabetes was supposedly her "speciality". Then she paid a little more attention, and prescribed metformin, told me to increase by 500 mg increments until I was taking 2 gm/day. Then, just left. No discussion of diet, oh, she said just make sure to have some fat with each meal. Well, I couldn't tolerate the metformin, made me vomit, she never mentioned metformin ER or other meds. meanwhile, she ordered a bunch of thyroid scans, didn't bill my insurance correctly, then refused to see me until I paid up on a $5000 bill that should have been covered by insurance! She really cared about me!

So, out of frustration and confusion, I just let the issue go. True, I do fluctuate, random BG may catch a "normal" so I let the issue slide. Until a few months ago, I found I was hitting 600+ Well, I had a new PCP and brought it to her attention, expecting everything from indifference to hostility, based on past experiences. Instead, she was very helpful! I've never had a doctor so involved, caring, concerned, etc. She spends a lot of time discussing diet, drugs, dosage, fine tuning, etc. I feel I have a real partner in my health---hey, its about time!

I find it sad, so many people suffer the consequences of untreated diabetes, because they don't have a clue how to manage themselves. Not all doctors are as involved as my current PCP, but there's no excuse for not referring patients to resources readily available. Diabetic educators and dietitians are available. Some even work with home health care for those unable to get to them. How doctors can just pass off such a serious condition is a mystery to me.

At least information is more available to patients now than even several years ago. If one has access to the internet. Just be careful what advice you follow, and listen to your own body. Take care, everyone!

Old 11-17-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When diagnosed with diabetes no matter what the BG reading they usually like to start off slow on the meds and work up over time just in case you have a reaction to any of the drugs they prescribe..

Exactly! That's what my doctor is doing. I went to her with reading over 600+. I expected her to put me on insulin, etc. Instead, she started out with glyburide 2.5 mg, gradually increasing the dose. I thought perhaps she was undertreating, but followed her instructions, its working very well. We gradually increased the dose, added metformin, its going very well.

If she had just pulled out all the stops and put me on insulin right away, well, that would have created even more problems.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 AM

295 posts, read 832,584 times
I belong to a very good diabetes online forum, so not all are bad. Many of us do low-carb but not no-carb. What we feel is that every diabetic is different in what they can and can't eat and that it's important to "eat to your meter". Some of us can only eat maybe 30 carbs per day while others can eat 60 or more carbs per meal. And there's nothing wrong with either amount because we're all so individual.

The ADA diet was worthless for me and did nothing to help lower my bg. But others may find it very helpful.

I just firmly believe that it's very important to eat to your meter readings and learn which foods to avoid for you personally. .

Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 PM

My BG is now normal.....fasting about 80-90, during the day around 140--160. Way down from 300-600+.

And, my baby, my kitty who alerted me by bringing me my meter, has passed away....from diabetes!

Marshmallow came into our lives ~3.5 years ago, a rescue cat. he was elderly at the time, his records at the shelter varied. One said 8 yrs, the other said 11 years. I did manage to contact the former owner, she hedged on his age. I guess she figured if I knew his real age, it would hurt his chances. She had to give him up to go into a nursing home, poor lady. He was a beautiful, sweet kitty who brought much joy into our lives. And, he probably saved mine.

We had just moved, and I had misplaced my meter. However, I wasn't really taking the diabetes seriously. Then, Marshmallow found my meter kit, and dragged it in to me, wanting to play. I tested, and found 598! That was last Sept. I've since brought my sugars under control, and probably saved my own life.

Last week our beautiful boy started acting "poorly". We had a vet appointment, but he took such a turn for the worse we rushed him to the ER, where he died from a diabetic coma. It seemed his last act was to show me, see...take it seriously, forever, diabetes kills!

I firmly believe marshmallow was an angel, sent to protect me. In turn, we gave him all the love his little heart could handle, he was a treasured kitty! RIP!

If it weren;t for him, well, his fate would have likely been mine!

Old 03-10-2013, 09:34 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
My BG is now normal.....fasting about 80-90, during the day around 140--160. Way down from 300-600+.

And, my baby, my kitty who alerted me by bringing me my meter, has passed away....from diabetes!

Marshmallow came into our lives ~3.5 years ago, a rescue cat. he was elderly at the time, his records at the shelter varied. One said 8 yrs, the other said 11 years. I did manage to contact the former owner, she hedged on his age. I guess she figured if I knew his real age, it would hurt his chances. She had to give him up to go into a nursing home, poor lady. He was a beautiful, sweet kitty who brought much joy into our lives. And, he probably saved mine.

We had just moved, and I had misplaced my meter. However, I wasn't really taking the diabetes seriously. Then, Marshmallow found my meter kit, and dragged it in to me, wanting to play. I tested, and found 598! That was last Sept. I've since brought my sugars under control, and probably saved my own life.

Last week our beautiful boy started acting "poorly". We had a vet appointment, but he took such a turn for the worse we rushed him to the ER, where he died from a diabetic coma. It seemed his last act was to show me, see...take it seriously, forever, diabetes kills!

I firmly believe marshmallow was an angel, sent to protect me. In turn, we gave him all the love his little heart could handle, he was a treasured kitty! RIP!

If it weren;t for him, well, his fate would have likely been mine!
Awww, Marylee, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your little baby! He was an angel, indeed. I am glad to hear you are doing so well, though. I am hoping to get my diabetes under control soon. Incidentally, I too, have a sweet kitty who is/was diabetic and is now normal! I don't know how it happened but I hope he stays OK. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes