Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 10:11 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,954,491 times

Advertisements

I have been taking Synthroid since thyroidectomy 6 years ago. BS has crept up year after year, with each increase in the dosage. Fasting BS is almost always below 120. Because of the lack of thyroid, hunger (cravings) has always been very hard (extremely - like an air hunger) to control. Weight has crept up, regardless of amount of exercise. Could definitely do better on weight (5'5" and 152 lbs.) and cholesterol is 126. Energy levels good, but I have noticed I like sleeping in a little later each morning. I know getting 20-30 pounds off is my key. But that's like telling a smoker to just thow the smokes in the trash (11/5/2006, I quite smoking after 30 years and this is harder!).

I'm being sent for a Type II consult (ie medication is coming - we've been playing the diet game now for 1 year). I have read so much about weight gain with the Type II meds, it is the ONLY thing stopping me. My labs are great (except for Vitamin D, which was very low and cross-my-fingers, maybe will help when corrected), but being labeled as diabetic no longer phases me like it once did.

What Type II meds should be avoided for weight gain side effects? Is there anything out there? It seems rather insane to put the weight on and then be a candidate for lap-band (which is having phenomenal success with "cures"). I'm not the average new to Type II, just new to the current meds. I have a heathly respect for the damage this disease can do to someone, so I'm not taking it lightly, either.

Last edited by SmartMoney; 10-21-2012 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: oops, can't change the topic, should be A1c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 01:29 PM

356 posts, read 1,347,307 times
I actually lost weight when I started on Metformin and I haven't had any problem with weight gain since I started taking it 10 years ago.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:55 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,617,743 times
Don't be afraid of weight gain with Metformin. When I was first put on it 6 years ago, I lost 21 pounds in 7 weeks.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,900,074 times
And it's A1c.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,954,491 times
Thanks for the feedback........you've removed my fears. I'll make the appointment tomorrow.

SouthernBell, ever try to edit a topic title, lol?

Fast typing did me in.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,900,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Thanks for the feedback........you've removed my fears. I'll make the appointment tomorrow.

SouthernBell, ever try to edit a topic title, lol?

Fast typing did me in.
Use the "go advanced" feature and you can edit the title (within the editing window).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:14 PM

9,542 posts, read 16,559,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I have been taking Synthroid since thyroidectomy 6 years ago. BS has crept up year after year, with each increase in the dosage. Fasting BS is almost always below 120. Because of the lack of thyroid, hunger (cravings) has always been very hard (extremely - like an air hunger) to control. Weight has crept up, regardless of amount of exercise. Could definitely do better on weight (5'5" and 152 lbs.) and cholesterol is 126. Energy levels good, but I have noticed I like sleeping in a little later each morning. I know getting 20-30 pounds off is my key. But that's like telling a smoker to just thow the smokes in the trash (11/5/2006, I quite smoking after 30 years and this is harder!).

I'm being sent for a Type II consult (ie medication is coming - we've been playing the diet game now for 1 year). I have read so much about weight gain with the Type II meds, it is the ONLY thing stopping me. My labs are great (except for Vitamin D, which was very low and cross-my-fingers, maybe will help when corrected), but being labeled as diabetic no longer phases me like it once did.

What Type II meds should be avoided for weight gain side effects? Is there anything out there? It seems rather insane to put the weight on and then be a candidate for lap-band (which is having phenomenal success with "cures"). I'm not the average new to Type II, just new to the current meds. I have a heathly respect for the damage this disease can do to someone, so I'm not taking it lightly, either.

In reference to your question concerning weight gain side effects. Glyburide is notorious for weight gain in many diabetics. Alot of water retention with that drug that piles on the weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes