Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,845 times

Advertisements

Okay, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes almost 10 years ago at age 11, but maybe a year or so ago, my current doctor said I have Type 2 diabetes. My blood sugars have been approximately 500+ since I had my son almost 2 years ago. Before I had my child, my blood sugars were roughly 200-250. I was moderately active then. I participated in my school's armed and unarmed drill team, so I was getting some exercise in. Now I am in my second year of college and am about 220 pounds (5'6 tall). Extremely obese as far as I am concerned. I hate exercising, and I feel like I cannot live without sugary sweets. I am extremely unmotivated but even more capable of turning my life around. I am afraid that I will not grow old or even see my son finish school. (I'm inn school to get my bachelor's degree in Elementary Education btw). My body has given me many signs that I need to turn my act around or things are going to get really ugly really fast! My question is where did you get the motivation from to start a healthy track. I am afraid of the gym (well, more like I am afraid of the fit people in the gym who may or may not judge me when I try to exercise with them) Please HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowwowlover123123 View Post
Okay, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes almost 10 years ago at age 11, but maybe a year or so ago, my current doctor said I have Type 2 diabetes. My blood sugars have been approximately 500+ since I had my son almost 2 years ago. Before I had my child, my blood sugars were roughly 200-250. I was moderately active then. I participated in my school's armed and unarmed drill team, so I was getting some exercise in. Now I am in my second year of college and am about 220 pounds (5'6 tall). Extremely obese as far as I am concerned. I hate exercising, and I feel like I cannot live without sugary sweets. I am extremely unmotivated but even more capable of turning my life around. I am afraid that I will not grow old or even see my son finish school. (I'm inn school to get my bachelor's degree in Elementary Education btw). My body has given me many signs that I need to turn my act around or things are going to get really ugly really fast! My question is where did you get the motivation from to start a healthy track. I am afraid of the gym (well, more like I am afraid of the fit people in the gym who may or may not judge me when I try to exercise with them) Please HELP!
That's a good reason to get motivated [bolded text]. You can never give up, ever. No matter how hard, you have to keep trying to get healthy.

My question though is why are your glucose numbers so high? Are you taking any medications? Do you test regularly?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,908 times
Quote:
My wake up call was when I didn't heal correctly from my surgery last year. What should've been a six week recovery took 8 months. Had I been doing what I was supposed to I could've gotten back to life much faster. If that hadn't have worked going to wound care would've definitely done the trick. I saw people with so many complications from diabetes there. People with toes missing, feet missing- yes, these things are very real possibilities if we don't take care of ourselves. These things can be prevented if we just take care of ourselves. Diabetes is very easy to ignore until you feel sick but in almost all cases when you feel sick, things are a mess and going downhill quickly. If you can't do it for you, do it for your kid.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Hi, you have lots of company, but it can be done! I am also diabetic, diagnosed a year ago. For all my life I had what I thought was an incurable sweet tooth, but I gave almost all of that up and really don't miss it at all - it's worth it to be healthy! Also, you hate exercise, but just start easy by walking, that is all you have to do. Get out and walk, work up to 30 - 40 minutes per day, but at first do what you can. As you lose weight and get more fit, maybe find other sports you like, riding a bike, swimming, etc. or do some light weight training, take a class at a gym. This goes a LONG WAY to absorbing excess blood glucose and also taking off weight. It helps to have a support group, feel free to post here, and we will help you along the way.

I hope you are on medications, those numbers are very high. Good luck to you!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:44 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
You find a Physician who is willing to help you as far as a proper diagnosis. You either have Type 1 diabetes or Type 2 diabetes. IF you have Type 1 you should have already been on insulin long ago.
As far as motivation goes if you cannot muster enough energy to clean up your health for yourself and your own long term health it is going to be impossible for anyone else to motivate you. This is something YOU HAVE TO DO FOR YOURSELF; no one can do it for you.

You start with the food you consume, learn how to eat properly (I can give you a great resource), you go for a walk daily. It does not have to be far or fast just walk about 20 minutes each day, less time to start with if you have not walked for a long period of time (outside of normal to and from your vehicle into school).

Old 03-08-2013, 03:11 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You find a Physician who is willing to help you as far as a proper diagnosis. You either have Type 1 diabetes or Type 2 diabetes. IF you have Type 1 you should have already been on insulin long ago.
As far as motivation goes if you cannot muster enough energy to clean up your health for yourself and your own long term health it is going to be impossible for anyone else to motivate you. This is something YOU HAVE TO DO FOR YOURSELF; no one can do it for you.

You start with the food you consume, learn how to eat properly (I can give you a great resource), you go for a walk daily. It does not have to be far or fast just walk about 20 minutes each day, less time to start with if you have not walked for a long period of time (outside of normal to and from your vehicle into school).

Well, you can have insulin resistance (Type 2) on top of Type 1 if your weight is high enough and your activity level is low enough. Some lucky dogs do have both, like this OP.

High blood sugars in themselves sap your ability to motivate. Yours are high as a kite so I'm not surprised you feel lousy. If I were you I would:

A) work with a dietician to find an eating regime you can live with.

B) Make an effort to get used to naturally sweet foods -- like apples -- that are high in fiber to really fill you up. It is much harder to get too many calories on a high-fiber diet. Sweet potatoes, pumpkin, most fresh fruits (except pineapple and watermelon, which make your blood sugar skyrocket) are just the ticket. Also be sure to fill up on water, green leafies, celery, carrots and lettuce type foods foods with every meal -- they take more calories to digest than they put into your system, so you will start losing weight when they become a major part of your diet. You can still eat the chocolate donuts, but there will be less room for them in your stomach if you are eating right otherwise.

C) You also need to be drinking MUCH more water to flush out some of the blood sugar through the kidneys.

D) Start slowly with some small exercise -- do just enough to make you feel good, and do it every day. You will find that it gets easier and easier if you are not working yourself to the point of exhaustion and soreness. You will also find that you WANT to do more and more. An exercise buddy is a great idea -- you can gossip about your evil boss and encourage each other as you walk, lift, or sweat to the oldies.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:26 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
I hope the OP comes back to the great posts left by others.

I've recently been experiencing higher than normal blood sugars. Doc says to watch the carbs and processed foods and move my behind more. So that's what I've been doing. Walking every day, two 15-minute walks. Will increase that as my endurance improves. This is helping my arthritis, too.

My glucose levels for the past two days are in the normal range but that's no guarantee they'll stay there. Once diagnosed with diabetes or even pre-diabetes, it's important to keep a close watch on what we eat, drink, and how much activity (or lack of) we're getting each day.

I have a sibling that is on dialysis six days a week. I don't want to end up like that. He was much like the OP and wasn't motivated to do anything about it. Now he's paying the price. What could have been a life well into his 90's, he'll be lucky to make it to 75. Don't live in denial, it can happen to anyone.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:24 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:

Do you have health insurance?

Its people like you who drive up the cost of health care. Ok, so, you have a heart attack, stroke, seizure, I'm sure you would be motivated to go to an ER and seek treatment, and you would feel you would deserve it. But you can't be bothered to take some relatively simple steps to prevent getting in that state to begin with. You don't have to lose 100+ pounds to control diabetes, but that would be nice. Do you even bother to see a doctor, and take meds? Do you follow a low-carb diet? its not that hard.but hey, you can't expect others to care more than you do.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Please, please, please!
Check out this website:
[url=http://www.nwcr.ws/]National Weight Control Registry[/url]

It is the National Weight Control Registry. I also HIGHLY recommend Weight of the Nation from HBO (you can watch it on youtube). My advice (and a professional's advice) just do 1 thing differently. Pick the easiest thing you can think of to change... maybe it's walking with your son to the park... maybe it's eating breakfast everyday... maybe it's just drinking water... or maybe it's getting enough fiber.... just pick the one thing you can confidently do regularly. Don't worry about other changes right now. Those will come in time. The goal is not to be overwhelmed to the point of defeat, it's to start on the long road of a million little changes that will eventually take you where you need to go.... a healthier you.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Do you have health insurance?

Its people like you who drive up the cost of health care. Ok, so, you have a heart attack, stroke, seizure, I'm sure you would be motivated to go to an ER and seek treatment, and you would feel you would deserve it. But you can't be bothered to take some relatively simple steps to prevent getting in that state to begin with. You don't have to lose 100+ pounds to control diabetes, but that would be nice. Do you even bother to see a doctor, and take meds? Do you follow a low-carb diet? its not that hard.but hey, you can't expect others to care more than you do.
Are you kidding me? You're going to presume the OP doesn't have health insurance and then get snarky with the "people like you" comment???? Did you miss the last two words of the OP's post? "Please HELP."

Way to offer advice to someone who is seeking help for their problem.

Bowwowlover, here's another source for help with your questions.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

This has great nutritional information as well

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/sp3index.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes