Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times

Advertisements

Okay, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 2 years ago (3?) and I've yet to get any real answers to my questions. Of course, they give the usual "no sugar" "low carbs" --- my first "doctor" told me "absolutely no sugar or carbs" --- so what was I supposed to eat/drink?

What I want to know is, as a diabetic, how many carbs can you safely consume per day? What about sugar?

It's almost impossible to avoid either and it's frustrating not having a concrete answer and the docs always give some generic "answer" that doesn't answer anything and then hand me a booklet. Annoying, to say the least.

I no longer have health coverage so I can't run from doc to doc to find answers.

Any info you can share is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 04:59 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
Without health coverage, supplies can be costly. Assuming you test, you can pick up your meter, test strips, and lancets from Walmart at very affordable prices now without a prescription. You can even buy an A1C test kit from the pharmacies now, but I don't know anyone that's used them.

Food affects everyone differently and you are going to have to monitor what foods spike your sugar levels by monitoring at the correct times before and after eating.

Here's a link to a site that I found helpful: Blood Sugar 101

I eat a lot of vegetables/salads (no creamed dressings), little to no bread (I make my own, no whole wheat), some fresh fruit, little red meat, fish, poultry, and stay away from sugar-rich desserts. I don't drink any soda. I drink home-made, sugar-free iced tea and add my own honey.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I was referred to a diabetic educator (reg. dietitian) at the hospital where my doctor practices. She said to forget about sugars as they are included in the total carb count. Focus ONLY on total carbs (so much easier).

She gave me a limit of 90 carbs per day (15 gms to one carb). At the time I weighed about 230 lbs at 5'1" and was in my 60s. I give you my numbers as I don't know what a limit for someone much different from myself should be.

I got my A1c down from 11.5 to 6.5 in about 4 months. And it continued to go down so long as I stayed on the regimen.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 PM

Do you mean that 15 grams of carbs is equal to 1 carb? I'm just trying to figure a way to keep track.

I am a carb addict!!!

Have you tried the Dreamfields pasta? It's supposed to be specifically for diabetics. I've read both good and bad about it. I've eaten it and it never spiked my sugar.

Right now, my A1C is 7. I want to get it down to 5. I don't test my sugar every day and I know I should. I'm going to buy some strips, etc from WalMart. I have their monitor but it needs a new battery. I'll probably just buy a whole new set up.

I have to get serious about this.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Boy did I write that badly! I left out the part about 15 gms = 1 serving. I was supposed to spread the 6 servings throughout the day for a total of 90 grm. Sorry for the confusion!

One slice of the wheat bread I like is 15 grm or 1 serving. Once I figured out what was a serving in the foods I ate frequently, it was easier to count 6 of them.

I was down to 6.4 but my last A1c had crept back up to 7.5 so I am on a carb witch-hunt now.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:40 PM

Thank you for the clarification

I have to watch those carbs!! Sugar, too..... I know I'm not supposed to be eating things with sugar but I do so all too frequently

Old 03-23-2013, 03:25 PM

139 posts, read 351,387 times
if you are looking to lower your a1c, don't forget that exercise is also a big factor in the process

Old 03-23-2013, 03:32 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Also try

www.diabeticforums.com

They are big fans of low-carb, high-fat diets.I tend to not like the high fat part, but they give some good advice overall.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:38 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Have you ever seen a limb amputation of a non-regulated diabetic? You've been diabetic for 3 years? And now you want help? Heed the call... pay attention to what people say to you.

Low carb, like low. Dreamfields is not your friend. It will still raise your BS. Look for low carb wraps, lower sugar fruits but not a lot of it at one time. Read about the disease.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Have you ever seen a limb amputation of a non-regulated diabetic? You've been diabetic for 3 years? And now you want help? Heed the call... pay attention to what people say to you.

Low carb, like low. Dreamfields is not your friend. It will still raise your BS. Look for low carb wraps, lower sugar fruits but not a lot of it at one time. Read about the disease.

I've been diabetic for 2 or 3 years (i don't remember the exact date of the Dx). And I'm not just "now looking for help".. I've been seeing my docs on a regular basis up until losing my job (and health coverage) in January. The problem is, they never give a straight answer... always "watch your carbs, cut out sugar" and they hand you a booklet or pamphlet.

I know about wraps, fruits, etc. My question was: What I want to know is, as a diabetic, how many carbs can you safely consume per day? What about sugar?

I further went on to state: I no longer have health coverage so I can't run from doc to doc to find answers.

I think Dreamfields affects different people in different ways. It NEVER spiked by blood sugar or raised it. I did a few tests with it and my sugars were fine with it.

Not a fan of wraps (or meat). I know about the lower sugar fruits already. A person cannot live normally on fruit and wraps, though. I'm not a huge fan of meat but I do love my carbs. That is my biggest problem and hence my original question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes