Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Post weekend add: I decided to take some Xifaxan* antibiotic I had left over (I know, you should never have left-over antibiotics..) and guess what? The gas production almost immediately (well, within about 30 h) abruptly stopped. So what the heck was happily growing my my gut I wonder? Something un-natural one would assume.

Perhaps this is part of a real-life Twilight Zone episode? Where the alien suddenly bursts forth, unhappy with me because of the systemic antibiotic? Perhaps our astro-space scientist doctors already know about the Beasts from Planet Morglon-B?

At any rate, I'll report this to my GP doc, and see if he has any possible explanation. Meantime I'm enjoying the gas-free respite!

Wow! Just look at this: I seem to have hit the nail right on it's head! (honest, I had no idea about it's usual use until I read this!)

*Xifaxan: Xifaxan information from Drugs.com

So where, pray tell, might I have picked up a problematic form of e. coli? From uncleaned dsalad greens? Or in a local Mexi-restaurant? Wow is me!
Rifleman, I believe gut infections from parasites or other unwanted organisms are the cause of a LOT of digestive distress. I remember you posting about heart palps once, and I get them off and on too. I came to the conclusion it was digestive related, and sure enough, I took some STRONG anti-parasite herbs, and problem solved! I also make sure to take enzymes before I eat and also probiotics every day (for the good intestinal bacteria)

Good luck to both of you here with the digestive issues. I am diabetic also, and working hard to keep my system in shape these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 467 times
Default Gastrparesis

I just got diagnosed with Gastroparesis. After a Upper GI, the gastroenterologist ordered a Nuclear Medicine Gastric Emptying Scan (because he found my stomach was still full after a 12 hour fast). The scan confirmed his suspicions. When I requested an upper GI, I had the following symptoms: constant burping, gas, stomach pain, intestinal cramps, and constipation. I was started on Reglan to help my stomach muscles contract, and help food move into my small intestine. This made my Restless Leg Syndrome worse (which is a side-effect, my doctor failed to notice). I also vomited (violently, I might add) several time the 2nd day of taking the medication. I vomited only bile.

The GI doctor told me not to eat raw fruit and vegetables, because your stomach cannot digest fiber.

I want to mention that I was put on Victoza (injection diabetic med) in December 2015. I was titrated to a higher dose by March. One of the drug indications, is that Victoza causes "delayed gastric emptying". I asked both my MD and the Pharmacist, and both said this was not the case. I have demanded that my medication be changed to insulin. Since stopping Victoza, tapering off, 2 weeks ago, I am digesting food better-- or at least I am having some bowel movements. However, am still eating bland foods.

I hopes this helps someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes