Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 02:23 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,443,917 times

Advertisements

Hi. I did a search and saw one thread but it didn't help me greatly. I am not diabetic but felt this would be the best forum to ask. What is the best way to dispose of an actual sharps container?

I take a medication weekly that is given by needle. No one seems to be able to tell me how to dispose of the actual container once full, and it is now full.

I live in Virginia and there do not seem to be any guidelines. I kknow drs offices have people that come and pick these things up at a cost.

What do you do with your container once full?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 PM

295 posts, read 835,226 times
Ask at your pharmacy.
Also, our local fire depts take them. They even supply us with the container for free. So maybe ask if they do this in your area. Otherwise check the pharmacy because they get these questions all the time. Also your doctor's office might know.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:59 PM

Thanks

Old 04-11-2013, 10:06 AM

37,278 posts, read 41,507,029 times
You may not need to use an actual sharps container, which cannot go in the ordinary trash.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diabe...st-strips.html

Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,903,302 times
Your city may be able to tell you how to dispose of hazardous waste, that is what we do with ours, bring it to a city facility.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 AM

15,646 posts, read 26,345,843 times
It really depends. I was told to bent the needle tip OR put the cap back on and store in glass jar with a metal lid and the label off. Screw the lid on tight. And then put in our recycle bin when it was full.

That was bout 8 years ago when I giving insulin to our cat.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:55 AM

Well I have an actual sharps container and the needles have tops on them. My pharmacy does not take them and my drs office told me to call the company that makes my medication. I'm thinking of wrapping it in duck tape and tossing it. What a pain in the butt but I require this medication for my ra.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 AM

188 posts, read 977,077 times
Hubby bought a Sharps container at Walgreens that actually has a free return shipping label enclosed ( and an extra box to put container in) that you can send the full container back to the company for disposal...can't remember the price..but don't think it was that expensive....

Old 04-21-2013, 12:46 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,420,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Hi. I did a search and saw one thread but it didn't help me greatly. I am not diabetic but felt this would be the best forum to ask. What is the best way to dispose of an actual sharps container?

I take a medication weekly that is given by needle. No one seems to be able to tell me how to dispose of the actual container once full, and it is now full.

I live in Virginia and there do not seem to be any guidelines. I kknow drs offices have people that come and pick these things up at a cost.

What do you do with your container once full?

TIA

Ask your pharmacists or Doctor where to dispose of those items or if they will dispose of them for you.

OOPS.........I just saw your last post so disregard this one. sorry about that.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:10 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,508,377 times
I work with the professor, author, of the article referenced below. I was checking the Sacramento waste disposal website regarding something else, and noticed his name and the seeming concern about sharps disposal (you know California!). So next time I saw him at the office and asked him about this, letting him know that his article was referenced (in part) regarding sharps disposal. He told me that his study was about needle sticks in the workplace and that they didn't find significant disposal needle stick incidences. He was surprised that his article was used in the disposal connection. And, since my husband works in construction, and so we're aware of disposal of nails, glass, sheet metal, splintered wood, many other sharp items - likely in much more volume too, I mentioned they seemed more likely a problem than needle disposal, most of which are likely recapped at disposal.

Anyway, just wanted to share - he was a BIT surprised that the article was referenced that way, since waste disposal needle sticks didn't seem a significant part of his findings.

I would recap and toss, unless your waste disposal offers some other advice.

Sharps Waste Disposal: Household Hazardous Waste
The Problem
A 2008 study titled, Characteristics of persons and jobs with needlestick injuries in a national data set, (J. Paul Leigh, PhD, et.al) suggested that "nationwide each year 25 percent or roughly 150,000 to 200,000 needlesticks occurred outside the health services industry for a cost of $38 million."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes