Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 PM

295 posts, read 832,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i thought it was making me nauseous and i somehow convinced my doc to approve it but now im thinking it might not be from metformin. its been hard for me to get the thick pill down esp in the AM since my appetite is suppressed and i am nauseous so there really isn't time to take 3 pills but now i might have to force myself

i can switch to oatmeal and eggs only at McD's and scrap the hash brown and biscuit. maybe that will work better

the 140 reading would be an hour after the meal, right?
Yes, 140 or less at one hour after a meal and 120 or less two hours after a meal. Ideally, of course, so we should strive for those numbers.

Oatmeal would spike me badly but some diabetics are okay with it. How are your numbers after oatmeal?

Also, I don't take my met all in one dose. I take 2500mg daily, two 500mg in the morning, one at lunch and two at bedtime. In other words, I so read them out throughout the day. But, of course, do what works best for you. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 08:17 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
n ot sure if oatmeal would spike me but i stopped eating it cause either it didn't give me the nutrients i needed or sometimes it made me feel a little allergic and tired

i am embrrassed to say it but i really havent checked my post breakfast sugars until this AM (199 this AM) and i don't know why my post lunch sugar was 215. could be because for some reason my sugar was a little high this AM and didn't have a chance to come down. eventually it did when i returned home to 84 thank goodness

anyway my sugar is now 81 with metformin and victoza. i think all i have to do is increase metformin and ill be OK. nausea is probably not coming from metformin, i just think it is. nausea could be hyperglycemia or gastroparesis

Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Metformin isn't a 'take as needed' medication.
Take on a schedule .
This gives more information plus some hints for how to control or lessen nausea.
Diabetes Update: Timing Your Metformin Dose

Old 04-15-2013, 06:27 AM

im aware of that, ive been on metf since 2007. good link, im going to follow that and get back into the metformin 2-3 times per day

Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM

i took the day off work to get back into the swing with my medications. i called the mail order pharmacy that dispenses my metformin and the pharmacist there said i can safely cut those thick tablets and take 2 halves instead(its tough to even think of swallowing one big tab when im so nauseous all the time) when it's time to take the meds. i did that. they made me temporarily nauseous on and off but i guess perhaps i am just readjusting to them since ive been taking only one tab per day. at least i can get them down now

i had lunch at 1, went out for a bike ride and then had to pump up the bike tire which was very difficult and made the nausea even worse. i just took my sugar and it's already 87 when i had lunch only 2 hours ago. would this be normal due to the increased metformin and exercise i just had?

well, i guess if i stick to my normal metformin regimen i won't get any readings like 199 like yesterday...

Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Nausea can certainly result from rapid fluctuations in your blood sugar.
For starters, Google "dumping syndrome" and see if any of it applies to you(never read just one unless from a legitimate, recognized medical source)

Old 04-17-2013, 03:00 PM

you know what, im wondering if my being on 81 mg of baby aspirin on a daily basis since 2007 is causing all the nausea and heartburn. i made an appt with my GI doc next week to discuss this.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 PM

since i went back on metformin 3 times per day there have been no hyperglycemic readings. trouble is nausea prevents me from eating full meals with which to get even the half tabs down sometimes. so there are times when i just don't take the full doses. my a1c stayed the same it did not go under 6. had i stuck to 3 times per day it might have

Old 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM

Default Glucerna

I have an appointment with my GI doctor next week to discuss these issues with chronic nausea and heartburn. in the meantime i did some browsing and i noticed there are Glucerna nutritional snack shakes and meal replacement shakes and bars. i was thinking that the meal replacements can replace solid breakfasts which have been problematic in getting full and taking the metformin (which i am now cutting in half as per pharmacist who said that is safe)

i called my doc to inquire about Glucerna and they said it was fine to take but to take only Glucerna and no other nutritional stuff since Glucerna contains minimal sugar

i bought some Glucerna shakes and a few snack bars. this AM i could barely get breakfast down(skipped breakfast metformin dose). at about 10 i had a Glucerna shake followed by lunch at 12:30(turkey wrap and a little soup) which i managed to eat. followed by my first metformin dose of the day

nausea seemed to get less after lunch. at 3 i felt hungry so i had a glucerna snack bar at about 3:30. at 5 (right now) i felt kind of hypoglycemic minus the nausea. i took my glucose and it was in the low 60's

i know i didn't get off to a good start this AM but can you explain the low glucose reading after only 90 minutes of taking the glucerna bar? had i had breakfast, taken the metformin after breakfast and then lunch followed by metformin would this afternoon reading not have been so low?

also my doc said to stop taking the baby aspirins for 3 weeks and see if there are any changes in GI symptoms. i have been taking baby aspirins since 2007 and wonder if i have been on them too long

Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM

i just had a little bit of dinner and while my appetite is not what it used to be (probably caused by Victoza and metformin) i no longer have that disabling nausea and queasiness. could it be the glucerna has minerals that make digestion easier? or a placebo effect? or that it spreads out the carb effect over time so i feel different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes