Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:14 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times

Advertisements

I just had, well, not the best breakfast but one that would tie me over till lunch time. I posted below about gastroparesis. My a1c dropped in January from 6.4 to 6.0 and my doc thinks my a1c may be even lower when we get the blood results back since i managed to drop 22 lbs since the fall

back to my original post, I just had a McDonald's breakfast of eggs, one quarter of a biscuit, the entire hash brown and some coffee with half/half, no sugar. this is my normal meal 3 times a week. on my off days my breakfasts are a little healthier cause i make them at home or dine at healthier places than McD's. my waking sugars have been between 110 and 130

i took my sugar post breakfast and it was 199 but 15 mins later it fell to 156 with no metformin yet. i also briefly had the uncomfortable symptoms of nausea and heartburn but they went away

is the 199 too high post meal? maybe if i switched to eggs only with an english muffin/oatmeal this might drop the GI?

once i had an entire container of brown rice (1 qt) a few years ago and my glucose was 225 even hours after i had eaten. i took a metformin and it reduced to 160 and continued to fall. my doc told me this is ok as long as the numbers come down

but do you think the 199 is too much post meal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 11:32 AM

295 posts, read 832,584 times
Jmo, but no. At one hour post meal blood glucose should be 140 or less and at two hours it should be 120 or less. ideally.

I become nauseated when my glucose falls too quickly, even if it falls within normal ranges.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:40 PM

i have cut down on my metformin from 850 mg tid to once per day but this might be a mistake tho my doc approved it. had a bannana for snack. today even after lunch ( healthy, light turkey wrap and beef barley soup) my sugar was in the low 200's, something it never was before(well maybe it was) and i got nausea and heartburn. tho i didn't take any metf today and i know it WILL go down, it still worries me. i don't want to wreck my a1c which was at 6.0 3 months ago.

is it possible to have these high readings and they won't do any harm? am i worrying too much? these nausea attacks have been so even with normal readings but all of a sudden theyre happening after meals when the sugar is higher than it should be

ive also lost weight, hopefully that is due to victoza and not the illness getting worse

im crossing my fingers, hoping that the a1c won't be any more than 6

Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 PM

trivettes so as long as it's under 140 1 hour after a meal im ok?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:53 PM

well i went shopping after work to buy a replacement biking helmet and had to walk a lot so that helped. my sugar was 84 when i got home. so it does definitely go down but i don't like these readings in the 200's post meal. i might have to start taking at least 2 metformins now instead of 1. or maybe even go back to the 3rd. i don't want to wreck my a1c

Old 04-14-2013, 05:30 PM

I also got nauseated when my glucose was too high. Or dropped too fast, or too much.

It really isn't safe to spike or roller coaster. Jmo, aim for more steady readings.

Depending on what you eat, certain foods might give some of us late spikes. Example, Dreamfield's pasta spikes me at 3 and 4 hours post meal instead of at one and two hours. I think it's because it's made to be digested more slowly. I know many diabetics it's happened to. Does it stop me from eating Dreamfields? Noooooo....but I watch portion size and prepare for the late spike by having a small glass of wine, which helps me a little.

Why aren't you taking your met? Met has to be taken on a regular basis in order to work well.

All jmo.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
That is too high for good control. You should aim for the 140 reading. Anything over that, no matter how short of a time, is NOT good.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM

i thought it was making me nauseous and i somehow convinced my doc to approve it but now im thinking it might not be from metformin. its been hard for me to get the thick pill down esp in the AM since my appetite is suppressed and i am nauseous so there really isn't time to take 3 pills but now i might have to force myself

i can switch to oatmeal and eggs only at McD's and scrap the hash brown and biscuit. maybe that will work better

the 140 reading would be an hour after the meal, right?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:00 PM

jeez, can a 200 reading make you nauseous? if so, maybe my sugar is still too high post meal. i just hope my next a1c won't be over 6, ive worked hard to get it down to 6

Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post
Jmo, but no. At one hour post meal blood glucose should be 140 or less and at two hours it should be 120 or less. ideally.

I become nauseated when my glucose falls too quickly, even if it falls within normal ranges.

Dang, It was too late to go back and edit this post when I realized what I did. I meant to say YES, that is hyperglycemia and no it isn't normal.

So sorry I wasn't clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes