Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 04:47 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,873 times

Advertisements

I am sure not everyone does this. But I am also sure I'm not the only one who ever did it, even if rarely. What do you do when you have very unwisely overindulged in foods that no diabetic should be touching - I mean a brunch plate full of such plus a no-no dessert - and don't feel too well. Fair punishment, I know, but is there anything to do to feel better short of just waiting it out which may take "forever". Please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 06:33 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Well, if one is on insulin, I try to counteract the rapid rise in blood sugar levels (which I would monitor) by injecting Apidra, a fast-acting insulin.

However, if you are on oral medication only, I agree that you can only 'wait it out'.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, if one is on insulin, I try to counteract the rapid rise in blood sugar levels (which I would monitor) by injecting Apidra, a fast-acting insulin.

However, if you are on oral medication only, I agree that you can only 'wait it out'.
And, on no medication, the same. I did find that some extra exercise helped. And a spot of rooibos tea. :-)

OK. I don't "party" often. May not hereafter at all. Could be hazardous to my health.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 AM

295 posts, read 833,071 times
Drink lots of water, that's what I do. A bit of exercise helps and I'll take a long walk too.

If you know you're going to indulge, perhaps a small glass of wine first. I've read the liver is so busy getting rid of the alcohol it ignores some carbs. Not many tho. I read this in Dr Richard K Bernstein's book Diabetes Solution. I do know any type of alcohol drops my bgs to some extent so maybe there's something to it. Whenever I have an alcoholic drink I make sure to test my bgs frequently and eat something with it.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post
Drink lots of water, that's what I do. A bit of exercise helps and I'll take a long walk too.

If you know you're going to indulge, perhaps a small glass of wine first. I've read the liver is so busy getting rid of the alcohol it ignores some carbs. Not many tho. I read this in Dr Richard K Bernstein's book Diabetes Solution. I do know any type of alcohol drops my bgs to some extent so maybe there's something to it. Whenever I have an alcoholic drink I make sure to test my bgs frequently and eat something with it.
Does It really - alcohol lowers blood sugar? Hmmm. They were serving mimosas yesterday - for brunch yet. I'd never had one. Seldom have any alcohol. Not wild about it. The mimosa was tasty but quite light. Waiter said it had been weekened. I know it was a lot more orange juice than champagne. A new experience.

I'll remember the water. Didn't know that. Water is good. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Before I go to a luncheon, or go out, I eat first. Not a complete meal, but eat enough so that when I get to the function, I am not hungry. Also, about 30 minutes prior, drink lots of water, a pint or more. Again, this keeps you from over indulging. As to what to do if you over indulge? First off, flog yourself severely. hahahaha Actually, there's not a lot of anything you can do, "after the fact", except feel bad for doing it. There is nothing that you can eat to take away things you already ate. Just learn from it and try not to do it again. Lots of preventitive things, but not a lot to do after the fact.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Before I go to a luncheon, or go out, I eat first. Not a complete meal, but eat enough so that when I get to the function, I am not hungry. Also, about 30 minutes prior, drink lots of water, a pint or more. Again, this keeps you from over indulging. As to what to do if you over indulge? First off, flog yourself severely. hahahaha Actually, there's not a lot of anything you can do, "after the fact", except feel bad for doing it. There is nothing that you can eat to take away things you already ate. Just learn from it and try not to do it again. Lots of preventitive things, but not a lot to do after the fact.
Thanks. Water seems to be part of the answer. And, yes, learn - well, remember and heed what I've already learned - from it. Fortunately (unfortunately, too) this, our favourite restaurant is closing next week. That is why we were there.

Take care.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:50 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post

I second this about booze.

I am not sure about wine, but my blood sugar does well, and indeed decreases, with plain vodka (I mix with diet cola), hence I keep an eye on it. I also have very good results with the beers called "55" and "64" (indicates the number of calories each has, with necessarily very low carbs). Yet, other beers and booze will elevate blood sugar levels due to the high carb count.

For example, one night my wife and I went to an English-styled pub, and I had two English beers (out of their tap). Upon arrival home, my blood sugar level was close to 300. Lesson: avoid the heavy beers.

I will also note that in my work (reviewing disability claims for Social Security, among other duties) I have noticed that alcoholic, homeless diabetics seem to do surprisingly well (whenever they get their A1c tested), even though they usually do not have insulin or oral medications. I assume that their steady diet of high-alcohol drinks helps keep the blood sugar levels down (we shall not mention their host of other medical problems).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes