Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 06:31 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times

Advertisements

As a diabetic, I know that a low carb diet is one of the best ways to go to keep blood sugar under control.

I have a hard time finding breakfast and lunch options I like that are low carb that can be easily taken to work and eaten at my desk. I guess I'm kinda picky because for breakfast, I don't want to cook anything - just grab and go. For lunch, I don't mind heating up something in the microwave.

What are some things you would suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
As a diabetic, I know that a low carb diet is one of the best ways to go to keep blood sugar under control.

I have a hard time finding breakfast and lunch options I like that are low carb that can be easily taken to work and eaten at my desk. I guess I'm kinda picky because for breakfast, I don't want to cook anything - just grab and go. For lunch, I don't mind heating up something in the microwave.

What are some things you would suggest?
Try making frittatas.

Here is my recipe:

First, turn on your oven broiler to high, so it will be ready.

In your food processor: 5 eggs, plus one small carton (I guess pint) of eggbeaters. Add some sea salt, pepper and garlic powder (to taste; I use about one teaspoon each). Process until needed (below).

Using a cast iron skillet (or a skillet that is capable of going straight into the oven), get it medium-hot (with some olive oil in it) and saute together:

cubed ham
pre-cooked sausage (I think Italian sausage by Owens does very well)
chopped onion (red or white, or both)
mushrooms
spinach (I use one cup of frozen spinach; put it in a one-cup measuring cup, fill with water, and microwave for a minute; then drain).
Green bell pepper (chopped).

After a few minutes of sauteing, pour in the egg mixture. Let it cook for a minute or so; then top with shredded cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese and, right before you place in oven, some small chunks of goat cheese.

Place skillet into oven, and broil for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove when the frittata is browning nicely.

Using your spatula, run it around the edge of the pan to loosen. I then go ahead after slice like a pizza (8 slices).

Is very diabetic friendly, makes a good breakfast or lunch, and reheats well in microwave.

Many such recipes on the web and youtube.

The chunks of goat cheese was suggested by Gordon Ramsey (he has a youtube video). Another good youtube of the process was Alton Brown. As Brown said, you can use any left overs you desire.

Using the eggbeaters was my idea (instead of using 10-12 real eggs). I think gives excellent results. A carton of egg whites (in place of eggbeaters) also works well.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:54 AM

526 posts, read 901,180 times
Google "egg muffins." There are lots of recipes for them. They contain the same ingredients that you would put in an omelette or frittata, but you make them a batch of them and then just grab one or two in the morning and heat them up in the microwave. The post above lists all sorts of good ingredients you can use, but there's no reason not to use real eggs.

I like making salads for lunch with some kind of meat in them (chicken, steak, whatever). Blue cheese dressing is usually low carb, as is Caesar dressing. Oil and vinegar is great as well. Don't go overboard with tomatoes -- they're one of the relatively high carb veggies.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:39 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Greek yogurt for breakfast, sweetened with a sugar substitute if you need it sweetened. ( I make my own yogurt, add splenda and real vanilla and a couple of mashed strawberries...best breakfast ever)

If you have chicken for dinner, cook a little extra, slice it and have it on top of a salad. Read the labels on the salad dressing, some of them have a lot of carbs. Sometimes when I'm really busy, I'll have a can of soup for lunch.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:42 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Not diabetic but feel better when I eat lower carb. For lunches, I like to make chicken salad using greek yogurt and seasoning rather than mayo. I also will cook a salmon burger and make salmon salad the same way. Quick, easy lunch alternative for having protein on a green salad, which is my other customary lunch.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!

A couple more "quirks" lol:

I don't eat beef. I'm not much of a fish eater - tilapia and cod mostly - sometimes canned tuna.

For breakfast, I like the carb options - you know, donuts, cookies, a bagel now and then. I find lots of options for savory breakfast but not much for the "sweeter" options. I know, I know! This is not good for me. I found some recipes for ricotta pancakes or something like that. Any other ideas?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:27 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Egg Mcmuffin is a decent breakfast for diabetics. I often have scrambled eggs & wheat toast or a granola type cereal. On the run I may have a protein bar.

Lunch I often pack left over from the night before chicken or fish with brown rice. Meat or tuna sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes