Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:57 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
These are some of the highest carb fruits. IF you absolutely have to have fruit (and a person can survive an entire lifetime without any fruit at all -- it's not part of an essential diet) then stick to berries in small quantities.
I will second that thought. In his book (Diabetes Solution) Dr. Bernstein (a Type I diabetic since 1948) who advocated a very low carb diet before it became popular, noted that he (now age 80 or so) had not eaten any fruit for over 40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 09:48 AM

295 posts, read 832,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah233 View Post
Examples of fruits which are recommended to Diabetics include:

• Bananas
• Apples
• Fruit Juices
• Strawberries
• Raisins
• Oranges
• Mango
• Guava
• Papaya

I agree with the other posters--berries are the best for me. Sometimes I dress up my serving with real whipped cream, chopped nuts and even a sprinkling of dark cocoa or very dark chocolate (I need the calories).

I would only eat a banana, orange or drink fruit juice if I was having a low blood sugar episode. My endo told me to eat half a small apple and a handful of nuts before driving (just in case of a low). I used to but I rarely have lows now that I take only Metformin. I don't know about the other fruits mentioned but I do know dried fruits are higher in sugar and that includes raisins. Sometimes my protein bars or protein cookies contain raisins but I watch the total or net carb count of the item itself.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:12 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,775 times
I might as well eat cotton candy if I were to eat a whole banana alone - the effect on my blood sugar is the same. Any fruit other than berries raises my sugar very quickly. So if I do occasionally eat berries, I make sure they are with Greek yogurt or in a protein smoothie to lessen the blood sugar spike. And, like Dr. Bernstein mentioned above, I do not eat fruit often at all.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:18 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Can diabetics all all fruits or some?

How does your bidy respond to the sugar in fruit?
Diabetics can eat anything they want but they have to account for it in their daily food consumption.

There is no blanket statement that applies to everyone in regards to how their body responds to each fruit or any food consumed, everyone is different.

The only way to know how your body responds to each food is to test often and write down your blood sugar numbers after each meal to give yourself a base line and proceed from there, keeping track of everything you eat, when you eat, the amount you eat, what time you test, and what the specific number was for that test.

Get a good book about Diabetes and testing and study it until you know it by heart and test often and keep track (write down) everything.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:58 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post
I agree with the other posters--berries are the best for me. Sometimes I dress up my serving with real whipped cream, chopped nuts and even a sprinkling of dark cocoa or very dark chocolate (I need the calories).

I would only eat a banana, orange or drink fruit juice if I was having a low blood sugar episode. My endo told me to eat half a small apple and a handful of nuts before driving (just in case of a low). I used to but I rarely have lows now that I take only Metformin. I don't know about the other fruits mentioned but I do know dried fruits are higher in sugar and that includes raisins. Sometimes my protein bars or protein cookies contain raisins but I watch the total or net carb count of the item itself.
The biggest problem with fruit is the fact that most fruit, if you buy single fruit and not bagged, is HUGE! and is two servings, at least as explained by my diabetes educator. So when I buy bananas, I go for the smallest ones I can find. I eat organic fruit a lot, because often, organic is much smaller. Those huge apples are beautiful... but are way too big.

Add to that cheese or peanut butter or nuts and a couple of triscuits (never ever store brand!) and I'm set. (always peanut butter with bananas!)

Old 10-26-2014, 12:54 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The biggest problem with fruit is the fact that most fruit, if you buy single fruit and not bagged, is HUGE! and is two servings, at least as explained by my diabetes educator. So when I buy bananas, I go for the smallest ones I can find. I eat organic fruit a lot, because often, organic is much smaller. Those huge apples are beautiful... but are way too big.

Add to that cheese or peanut butter or nuts and a couple of triscuits (never ever store brand!) and I'm set. (always peanut butter with bananas!)
Some varieties of apple are smaller than others and that's usually what I buy. I only eat a half at a time. Same with bananas. I eat them before they're very ripe and only one half. I find it much easier to deal with a tangerine or a clementine than an orange. I can peel it, put it in a container in the refrigerator and pull off a segment at a time.

I try to eat fruit as part of a meal, but I don't always want it then. If I'd really like a little fruit, like you, I'll eat some cheese, nuts or some nut butter.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:55 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
These are some of the highest carb fruits. IF you absolutely have to have fruit (and a person can survive an entire lifetime without any fruit at all -- it's not part of an essential diet) then stick to berries in small quantities.
I think she was looking at the wrong list.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:02 AM

3 posts, read 3,786 times
jamuns, starfruits are good for diabics.
Guava controls diabetes and it is good for constipation.
papaya is good for diabetics because they are rich in vitamin and other minerals.
Orange can be consumed on a daily basis by diabetics, as they are rich in vitamin C.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:18 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
I don't see the problem with eating any fruit EXCEPT when you are doing a low carb diet. Berries are the among the fruits with the lowest carbs. Pineapple and banana would be the highest with everything else in between. I personally love watermelon and even though I am on a LCHF diet I do indulge myself every now and then.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:59 PM

8 posts, read 7,649 times
My mom is a type II diabetic patient since 2007, she is also a heart patient but doc advised her to take all the fruits in limited quantity. Doc also advised us to take apple and fruits with citric acid once a week only. He told the same about the mangoes. I must mention here she is eating tasteless chapati of pearl millet once a day, and it really resulted in low level of blood glucose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes